Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35

Thread: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    235

    How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    I have to say that's one thing I wish I'd learnt more about in school, engines are a bit of a dark art and some people can do amazing things with them, I look on in envy. went to Stoneleigh years ago as a teenager and still remember the stomach churning noise from the six engine tractors and the ground shaking, incredible.
    there is a lad down our way that does a bit with tractor pulling, 9700 ford, I think an engine can blow at any moment, so pretty expensive when you get up there, but looks fun.
    I would like to know how to turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac, but I've no idea where to start.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Tractor pulling thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    I have to say that's one thing I wish I'd learnt more about in school, engines are a bit of a dark art and some people can do amazing things with them, I look on in envy. went to Stoneleigh years ago as a teenager and still remember the stomach churning noise from the six engine tractors and the ground shaking, incredible.
    there is a lad down our way that does a bit with tractor pulling, 9700 ford, I think an engine can blow at any moment, so pretty expensive when you get up there, but looks fun.
    I would like to know how to turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac, but I've no idea where to start.
    As long as the forum is not dead you might have some discus here. My view, leave it alone unless it is in very good order and you have a dyno check.

  3. #3
    Senior Member davidroberts30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    pembrokeshire
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: Tractor pulling thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    I have to say that's one thing I wish I'd learnt more about in school, engines are a bit of a dark art and some people can do amazing things with them, I look on in envy. went to Stoneleigh years ago as a teenager and still remember the stomach churning noise from the six engine tractors and the ground shaking, incredible.
    there is a lad down our way that does a bit with tractor pulling, 9700 ford, I think an engine can blow at any moment, so pretty expensive when you get up there, but looks fun.
    I would like to know how to turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac, but I've no idea where to start.
    ooo cummins b seriesjust find the dial a power screw on the pump

  4. #4
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: Tractor pulling thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    ooo cummins b seriesjust find the dial a power screw on the pump
    Assuming that's the bocsh mechanical pump then dead easy, but often there is a tamper proof cap over it that can be fiddly to get off, once that's off you screw the adjuster in for more fuel not out like you would expect Not don't it on a cummins but on the similar Iveco NEF engines and perkins were they use the same type of pump

    You can then adjust the turbo boost if you wanted to! lengthen the rod on the waste gate of the turbo to up the boost pressure. you could also fiddle with the boost valve on the top of the injector pump.

    Don't blame me if you blow it up though

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    235

    Re: Tractor pulling thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Assuming that's the bocsh mechanical pump then dead easy, but often there is a tamper proof cap over it that can be fiddly to get off, once that's off you screw the adjuster in for more fuel not out like you would expect Not don't it on a cummins but on the similar Iveco NEF engines and perkins were they use the same type of pump

    You can then adjust the turbo boost if you wanted to! lengthen the rod on the waste gate of the turbo to up the boost pressure. you could also fiddle with the boost valve on the top of the injector pump.

    Don't blame me if you blow it up though
    its a Perkins six cylinder turbo 155/65 fastrac, she runs well, but when you hit a bank with the trailer on, you always want more POWER!
    I should have gone for a bigger Cummings 185, but this one was so tidy for its age and well looked after I couldn't let it go.
    don't worry, I won't mess with anything unless I know I can do it 100%, so just wondered how much more extra ponies I could get if it was done properly.
    by the way, why at tick over do the tractor puller tractors blow smoke rings way up into the air?

  6. #6
    Senior Member davidroberts30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    pembrokeshire
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: Tractor pulling thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    its a Perkins six cylinder turbo 155/65 fastrac, she runs well, but when you hit a bank with the trailer on, you always want more POWER!
    I should have gone for a bigger Cummings 185, but this one was so tidy for its age and well looked after I couldn't let it go.
    don't worry, I won't mess with anything unless I know I can do it 100%, so just wondered how much more extra ponies I could get if it was done properly.
    by the way, why at tick over do the tractor puller tractors blow smoke rings way up into the air?
    No silencer
    over fueled

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    235

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    the fastrac runs very clean and hasn't a whiff of black smoke when running hard or at idle, so perhaps it could do with a tickle, or a turn or two here and there!
    by the way sorry about the other thread, we just seemed to get talking about engines and it went from there!

  8. #8
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    the fastrac runs very clean and hasn't a whiff of black smoke when running hard or at idle, so perhaps it could do with a tickle, or a turn or two here and there!
    by the way sorry about the other thread, we just seemed to get talking about engines and it went from there!
    Ah this could be an easy fix here.

    If you got the perkins with the Delphi/CAV/Lucas type fuel pump then it is very common for the boost diaphragm to split which then when the turbo comes on boost it leaks all the boost pressure in to the fuel return line and pressurises the fuel tank with air.

    How old is she? take a pic of the fuel pump soon tell you if that's your problem or not.

    older ones will have the boost diaphragm on the side of the pump later ones have it on the top which is harder to do as needs special 5 sides torx bit, standard torx bit is 6 sided its not that differcult a job really either way and cheap

  9. #9
    Senior Member davidroberts30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    pembrokeshire
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Ah this could be an easy fix here.

    If you got the perkins with the Delphi/CAV/Lucas type fuel pump then it is very common for the boost diaphragm to split which then when the turbo comes on boost it leaks all the boost pressure in to the fuel return line and pressurises the fuel tank with air.

    How old is she? take a pic of the fuel pump soon tell you if that's your problem or not.

    older ones will have the boost diaphragm on the side of the pump later ones have it on the top which is harder to do as needs special 5 sides torx bit, standard torx bit is 6 sided its not that differcult a job really either way and cheap
    hacksaw and flat screwdriver

  10. #10
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    hacksaw and flat screwdriver
    they are in a recessed hole and have diesel pipes all over the place normally so no that wont work unless you going to hack saw the housing too. If desperate you can tap a 6 sided one in with a hammer enough to get them undone and done back up again this is okay till the next time as it tends to bugger the heads

  11. #11
    Senior Member davidroberts30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    pembrokeshire
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    they are in a recessed hole and have diesel pipes all over the place normally so no that wont work unless you going to hack saw the housing too. If desperate you can tap a 6 sided one in with a hammer enough to get them undone and done back up again this is okay till the next time as it tends to bugger the heads
    hacksaw and flat screwdriver

  12. #12
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    these are the right tools for the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMPERPROO...item4619757f06

    Cheap too.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    235

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Ah this could be an easy fix here.

    If you got the perkins with the Delphi/CAV/Lucas type fuel pump then it is very common for the boost diaphragm to split which then when the turbo comes on boost it leaks all the boost pressure in to the fuel return line and pressurises the fuel tank with air.

    How old is she? take a pic of the fuel pump soon tell you if that's your problem or not.

    older ones will have the boost diaphragm on the side of the pump later ones have it on the top which is harder to do as needs special 5 sides torx bit, standard torx bit is 6 sided its not that differcult a job really either way and cheap
    I will have a look tomorrow and let you know, with a bit of luck the new thread might get me sorted

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    235

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    I will have a look tomorrow and let you know, with a bit of luck the new thread might get me sorted
    did you mean the lift pump, or do you mean on the injector the injector pump.
    the lift pump is a cav, with slot screws on it, so no need of hacksaw but I'd just thought I'd make sure before I started getting the spanners out!

  15. #15
    Senior Member davidroberts30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    pembrokeshire
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    did you mean the lift pump, or do you mean on the injector the injector pump.
    the lift pump is a cav, with slot screws on it, so no need of hacksaw but I'd just thought I'd make sure before I started getting the spanners out!
    injector pump

  16. #16
    Senior Member davidroberts30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    pembrokeshire
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    did you mean the lift pump, or do you mean on the injector the injector pump.
    the lift pump is a cav, with slot screws on it, so no need of hacksaw but I'd just thought I'd make sure before I started getting the spanners out!
    it will look something like what this chap is holding on to and will have a pipe going to the inlet manifold

  17. #17
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    it will look something like what this chap is holding on to and will have a pipe going to the inlet manifold

    That's not a cav/Delphi pump though so may be a little different but yes its either on top or on the side of the injector pump nothing to do with the lift pump.
    That pic looks like a bosch pump which for all I know maybe what you have as some perkins had bosch and some had cav/Delphi type and some even had stanadine.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    235

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    That's not a cav/Delphi pump though so may be a little different but yes its either on top or on the side of the injector pump nothing to do with the lift pump.
    That pic looks like a bosch pump which for all I know maybe what you have as some perkins had bosch and some had cav/Delphi type and some even had stanadine.
    I've found it on the side of the injector pump, what a twat to get at, the compressor is right in the way. never mind I will have a look at the weekend and let you know how I get on, cheers fir the info.

  19. #19
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    I've found it on the side of the injector pump, what a twat to get at, the compressor is right in the way. never mind I will have a look at the weekend and let you know how I get on, cheers fir the info.
    Ah that will be a lucas/cav type then I think, when you take cover off it look out for the springs in there some times there are 2, one each side of the diaphragm and some times only the one. also in the centre is a plunger rod which can tend to want to fall out so don't turn your back on that as you can bet it will pop out when your not looking!

    When you get your new diaphragm it will have a pin adjuster in the centre you will need to set this roughly the same as the one you take off unless you want a bit extra fuel on boost! but it will smoke a lot on the adjuster peg/pin there is a shim washer this does not come with a new diaphragm so make sure you take the old one off and reuse it, often come across machines were others have been there and not relised the washer was there and put them back together with out it.

    PS I don't think you can buy it from JCB? go to your local diesel shop Delphi part number 7243006 should be what you need.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    235

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    had a look today but haven't took anything apart yet, its a Lucas pump, my mistake before. there seems to be a small little cover on the side about inch and half with two small pipes coming out of it, one to the manifold above the turbo on the other side, I think that's what I'm after, but it seems a very small odd shaped cover to hold a rubber plunger under, seems to small, is that the correct place to find it?
    there seems to be a flatter thing attached right underneath the pump that doesn't look like it comes apart, it looks a better bet, but not sure!

  21. #21
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    had a look today but haven't took anything apart yet, its a Lucas pump, my mistake before. there seems to be a small little cover on the side about inch and half with two small pipes coming out of it, one to the manifold above the turbo on the other side, I think that's what I'm after, but it seems a very small odd shaped cover to hold a rubber plunger under, seems to small, is that the correct place to find it?
    there seems to be a flatter thing attached right underneath the pump that doesn't look like it comes apart, it looks a better bet, but not sure!
    No leave the thing underneath alone. Your right the first time 2 very small bolts 8mm heads and take the one pipe off that goes the air intake manifold which is a 10mm spanner. Then take note of the springs etc when you take it off could be one spring or 2.
    You may as well get a new diaphragm ordered first as it will be knackered. The part numb
    er I quoted before is the one you want.

  22. #22
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Took one apart yesterday just for you banjo

    Like I said before what out for that pin in the injector pump they can fall out and get lost, this one has springs both sides of the diaphragm some don't so watch that, on the diaphragm its self you can see the centre pin sticking up in the middle this is adjustable so you can give it more or less fuel as required and you will have to reset the new one according to were the old one was, also you can see the spacer washer on the centre pin which you have to take off and reuse as it don't come with a new one.

    This one was okay but I gave it a 1/4 turn any way on the pin and a shot of injector cleaner as she was a bit flat
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    235

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Took one apart yesterday just for you banjo

    Like I said before what out for that pin in the injector pump they can fall out and get lost, this one has springs both sides of the diaphragm some don't so watch that, on the diaphragm its self you can see the centre pin sticking up in the middle this is adjustable so you can give it more or less fuel as required and you will have to reset the new one according to were the old one was, also you can see the spacer washer on the centre pin which you have to take off and reuse as it don't come with a new one.

    This one was okay but I gave it a 1/4 turn any way on the pin and a shot of injector cleaner as she was a bit flat
    fair play to you mate, you know your stuff. I did it this afternoon ace and it was fu*ked. the diaphragm was paper thin and had a small slit nearly a quarter inch long in it, still a job to see the slit though. it was a bit of a job because the compressor was right in the way, so the bottom bolt was a swine to get at
    I haven't drove it with a load on yet, just up the lane, but it seems a hell of a lot better, nicer growl to the engine and definitely more power and a bit of black smoke as well.
    if I wanted to turn the boost up, which nut do you give a quarter turn, is it the one on the back of the diaphragm or the gold mechanism on the out side of the case, and clockwise or anticlockwise.
    by the way thanks for the advice, I would never have found this fault and it would have stayed like it for years, the wire seal was still on it from the factory, so it hadn't been touched before.
    I wonder how many Perkins engines have this fault never diagnosed?

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    13

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Very interesting thread and useful pictures ACE, if I wanted to turn up the Dephi pump on my perkins is it just a case of taking the diaphragm off the top of the pump and the screw will be obvious or is it more complicated than that?

  25. #25
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    fair play to you mate, you know your stuff. I did it this afternoon ace and it was fu*ked. the diaphragm was paper thin and had a small slit nearly a quarter inch long in it, still a job to see the slit though. it was a bit of a job because the compressor was right in the way, so the bottom bolt was a swine to get at
    I haven't drove it with a load on yet, just up the lane, but it seems a hell of a lot better, nicer growl to the engine and definitely more power and a bit of black smoke as well.
    if I wanted to turn the boost up, which nut do you give a quarter turn, is it the one on the back of the diaphragm or the gold mechanism on the out side of the case, and clockwise or anticlockwise.
    by the way thanks for the advice, I would never have found this fault and it would have stayed like it for years, the wire seal was still on it from the factory, so it hadn't been touched before.
    I wonder how many Perkins engines have this fault never diagnosed?
    Its the centre pin in the rubber diaphragm you adjust in for more fuel out for less. But it only gives more fuel not a direct affect on the boost pressure although it will help it come on boost as without the fuel it wont get the boost anyway.

    To up the boost pressure you adjust the waste gate valve linkage on the turbo slightly some very early engines wont have the waste gate fitted so it cant be done without upgrading turbo.

    I would just settle for an extra bit of fuel from the diaphram and leave it at standard boost pressure though.
    It will smoke a bit more thats all.
    You could also adjust the tappets as they wear bad on these engines so that will help to.

  26. #26
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Very interesting thread and useful pictures ACE, if I wanted to turn up the Dephi pump on my perkins is it just a case of taking the diaphragm off the top of the pump and the screw will be obvious or is it more complicated than that?
    If your delphi pump is the one with the boost valve on the top then no its a different diaphram and does not have an adjuster on it worth checking it though as could just be split and just replacing it will make the world of difference.
    The delphi pumps have a habit of once they get abit worn they lack power and only way to fix is major recon to the pump which is a bit pricey compaired to the old lucas cav type.

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    235

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Its the centre pin in the rubber diaphragm you adjust in for more fuel out for less. But it only gives more fuel not a direct affect on the boost pressure although it will help it come on boost as without the fuel it wont get the boost anyway.

    To up the boost pressure you adjust the waste gate valve linkage on the turbo slightly some very early engines wont have the waste gate fitted so it cant be done without upgrading turbo.

    I would just settle for an extra bit of fuel from the diaphram and leave it at standard boost pressure though.
    It will smoke a bit more thats all.
    You could also adjust the tappets as they wear bad on these engines so that will help to.
    just thought I would give you an update, the fastrac is pulling like a train, its a different machine. I'm at least two gears higher and god knows how much more hp. the machine is sounding better, a deeper growl, and is holding onto the gears for a lot longer as it draws on the turbo.
    thanks again for the advice, all the best banjo

  28. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    87

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Just seeing this topic has got me thinking,

    Any issues turning up the pump abit on a MF 390T?

    Lucas CAV pump on it, I'm not sure if someone has been at her before as I think the security seal has been removed from the plate if I'm looking in the right place. She would be clean burning at the minute with little smoke.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Easter Ross
    Posts
    243

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    I fitted this same diafram in a matbro ts 270 that was feeling gutless big difference bags more power and a wee reek of black under load you could see split in the old 1

  30. #30
    Armo
    Guest

    Re: How turn the diesel pump up on my fastrac?

    Lads I've a 1993 fastrack 155/65 Perkins engine and I can't get diesel through the lucas pump the one with the boost on side of pump.i have taken out plunger and replaced gauze filter etc etc and found the bottom spring compressed out of shape.any diagrams of this assembly.and the solonid is opening.is there a metering valve in this pump that could be stuck.
    Access to work on the pump requires very small hands and starting to wear my patience.i dread the thought of removing this pump

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •