Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A potato question.

A potato question.

O.K. I have to own up that this is actually a gardening question but I used to be a spud grower.

I always grew Desiree when we were growing and always have a few in the garden nowadays. But the ones this year have grown like tomatoes. The tops are very leggy and well over 2ft tall.

By contrast the Edwards that I have growing look awful. They are just about managing creep out of the top of the ridge. Both chitted the same and planted on the same day and next to each other. I also have a few Javelin and Charlottes for earlies and they are superb but seed from a different source. My Wife bought the earlies so I am getting a bit of stick. All seed was bought from gardening centres and I think they were Scotch.

I never grew Edwards on a field scale so my question is do they have a totally different growth habbit than Desiree or were both varieties that I bought duff seed ?

TIA.

Re: A potato question.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    O.K. I have to own up that this is actually a gardening question but I used to be a spud grower.

I always grew Desiree when we were growing and always have a few in the garden nowadays. But the ones this year have grown like tomatoes. The tops are very leggy and well over 2ft tall.

By contrast the Edwards that I have growing look awful. They are just about managing creep out of the top of the ridge. Both chitted the same and planted on the same day and next to each other. I also have a few Javelin and Charlottes for earlies and they are superb but seed from a different source. My Wife bought the earlies so I am getting a bit of stick. All seed was bought from gardening centres and I think they were Scotch.

I never grew Edwards on a field scale so my question is do they have a totally different growth habbit than Desiree or were both varieties that I bought duff seed ?

TIA.
    Same here. Mother bought Rocket& Bard from garden centre and planted them.Just started digging them now,and they are red
    Come to the conclusion garden centres palm you off with anything!
    Never mind,an early red maincrop is still better than what you get from tasdas

Edit,did she not notice when she planted the things?
    Last edited by timhaven; 23-06-14 at 07:31 AM. Reason: bad grammer

Quote Originally Posted by timhaven View Post
    Same here. Mother bought Rocket& Bard from garden centre and planted them.Just started digging them now,and their red
    Come to the conclusion garden centres palm you off with anything!
    Never mind,an early red maincrop is still better than what you get from tasdas

Edit,did she not notice when she planted the things?
    Mmmm. Now you've got me thinking Timhaven ! At least my Desiree were all red and the Edwards had just the pink around the eyes. I bet your Mother's face is red as well as the spuds. I actually tried Rocket last year when a friend gave me a few once-grown. Can't say I was very impressed to be honest. I always grew Pilot as an early but I have a drinking buddy who swears by Javelin so I thought I'd give them a go. They've certainly got a lot of top but you know what they say about that.

I have been telling the Wife to leave them alone for a bit longer but I found out yesterday that she had been having a crafty look with her trowel and she said they were the size of walnuts. I wish she'd concentrate on the flowers and leave my taters alone.

Mrs RGSP experiments quite a lot with spud varieties in our fairly large veg plot, and "Casablanca" has proved to be an excellent early, which gets big enough to use as an early main crop. I don't think it's grown to any extent as a commercial variety, but on a garden/smallholding scale it's excellent.

Seed bought for garden use is often near enough rubbish - and sadly it's often the organic suppliers who are worst. Last year we had about 24 plants which were supposed to be the same, but it was perfectly obvious that there were three quite distinct varieties actually supplied, both from the tops and the tubers.

"Remarka" does us very well as a main crop, but I think on some soils in wetter areas it produces a lot of internal cavities in huge spuds, so it doesn't suit everyone.

"Sarpo Mira" is off patent now, and is very reliable for us - and keeps well. The spuds do have a very high dry matter content though, and need 50% extra cooking time as compared with many.

Are you sure they are proper Desiree, they are not noted for loads of top.
    IMO you will struggle to beat P.Javelin as a second early.

I grew casablanca for the first time last year, and again this, very impressive, the new bard with no blackleg, have them along side bard, very attractive bright white tubers, chippys prefered them to bard frying wise, more tubers, but not quite as early. Now seeing several blackleg plants in bard and also have blight ring bad in a wet hole but casablanca look fine. Think they are getting more popular field scale. Wont store though, misplaced a box in shed last year, and had chits on within four weeks of lifting, would normally sell straight off field in july, but last year was last year. To the OP I would suggest eelworm, perhaps KE more susceptible. I have yet to beat Marfona for eating quality and from a growing POV scab being the biggest problem

Quote Originally Posted by David. View Post
    Are you sure they are proper Desiree, they are not noted for loads of top.
    IMO you will struggle to beat P.Javelin as a second early.
    That's what I thought and why I asked the question. I first grew Desiree in the early 70s and there was nothing that came near them for storing, cooking and eating but I felt over the years that they somehow deteriorated. When I packed up growing spuds I had gone off them a bit.

When I bought these from a gardening centre they were in the usual Scottish hessian bag with the correct label (or so I thought) Reckon I may have been duped. The proof of the pudding etc.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy View Post
    I grew casablanca for the first time last year, and again this, very impressive, the new bard with no blackleg, have them along side bard, very attractive bright white tubers, chippys prefered them to bard frying wise, more tubers, but not quite as early. Now seeing several blackleg plants in bard and also have blight ring bad in a wet hole but casablanca look fine. Think they are getting more popular field scale. Wont store though, misplaced a box in shed last year, and had chits on within four weeks of lifting, would normally sell straight off field in july, but last year was last year. To the OP I would suggest eelworm, perhaps KE more susceptible. I have yet to beat Marfona for eating quality and from a growing POV scab being the biggest problem
    Very interesting Charlieboy. Thank you. This is virgin ground and so I wouldn't have thought eelworm would have been a problem. Wireworm is but I like to think I solved that one.

Perhaps the KE seed had been fazered or gassed Not had desiree for over ten years now cant even remember how they grew, moved onto Stemster better shapes and flavour, IMO, I can sell them for processing if ware sales are slow, which I cant with Stemster. Nobody notices or asks they just want a bag of reds unlike the whites, Piper is still king here never had a problem to sell them

but I found out yesterday that she had been having a crafty look with her trowel [/QUOTE]

Is nothing sacred? I agree with you about Rocket,they are early,but no taste about them.And they do like to split if they've had to much water.

I took a piccy today !

From the left. Desiree, King Edwards, Charlotte, and Pentland Javelin.

Surely Desiree are white with pink spots not a true red
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Desiree are definitely full red skinned. Romano which we never tried, were like a rounder Desiree the better shape being their selling point. The Edwards in the picture are closer to how I remember the tops of Desiree to be, with a slightly purple tinged stem. I will venture that not in a hundred years are they true Desiree.
    We tried Stemster once for their eelworm resistance, they are a slightly more orangey red skinned than Desiree, bigger but no better shaped tubers.
    http://www.varieties.potato.org.uk/d...y_name=Desiree
    Last edited by David.; 24-06-14 at 08:19 AM.

That sounds more like Cara to me
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

What I don't understand is that the Desiree are literally like tomato plants. Or maybe they are triffids and they are going to take over the kitchen garden and devour us for dinner

Thay is why I became disillusioned with Desiree. When I started growing them they were a good shaped spud, even on our heavy ground and even if the seedbed was a bit nobbly. But they got ugly over the years and in the end the pre-packers wouldn't have them. One of the reasons I packed up.

Surely you are wrong

The above picture does not look like the desiree I remember, neither look right and healthy like the ones on the right, I would question the seed, laughable really the most expensive way to buy seed spuds has the least accountability.

Meant to get a picture today when spraying chalk and cheese between bard and the young pretender casablanca, but was distracted by the new roadway through the middle 20 cows made the previous night.

Just to confuse the issue I was reminded yesterday by the Head Gardener that she bought the Desiree and Charlotte and I bought the Edwards and the Javelin. She bought hers from Homebase and I bought mine from a gardening centre. They both looked to be genuine Scotch seed. The only other difference between the two ridges on the left and the others is that the ones on the left was virgin ground that hadn't grown anything other than a bit of rough grass before.

They all got an equal amount of fert. Triple 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    That sounds more like Cara to me
    I think you are quite right
    the years are catching up

We had our first boiling of Javelin today. I hadn't thrown any water on them, unlike the maincrop. We could have been at them a few days ago I reckon. One root was more than enough for two. To be honest I thought they might just be a bit floury. Either that or they were over cooked but you lot can tell the kitchen staff that if you like, I sure as Hell aint going to !

We had them with gravy and some lamb and mint sauce and other veg. but I reckon they'll be better with butter and a bit of cold lamb and some salad tomorrow.

I do love my spuds.

We had our first boiling of Javelin today. I hadn't thrown any water on them, unlike the maincrop. We could have been at them a few days ago I reckon. One root was more than enough for two. To be honest I thought they might just be a bit floury. Either that or they were over cooked but you lot can tell the kitchen staff that if you like, I sure as Hell aint going to !

We had them with gravy and some lamb and mint sauce and other veg. but I reckon they'll be better with butter and a bit of cold lamb and some salad tomorrow.

I do love my spuds.
    Smashing
    perhaps you left them too long before starting to lift
    did the same with mine this year too

Smashing
    perhaps you left them too long before starting to lift
    did the same with mine this year too
    Well thanks a bunch for that. She is reading this topic on her iPad and now she is going to make life Hell for me. She wanted to have a go at them 2 weeks ago. As I wrote earlier, she crept out in the middle of the night with her trowel but only found ones the size of walnuts so I thought I had got away with it. Thanks a bunch.

Just to confuse the issue I was reminded yesterday by the Head Gardener that she bought the Desiree and Charlotte and I bought the Edwards and the Javelin. She bought hers from Homebase and I bought mine from a gardening centre. They both looked to be genuine Scotch seed. The only other difference between the two ridges on the left and the others is that the ones on the left was virgin ground that hadn't grown anything other than a bit of rough grass before.

They all got an equal amount of fert. Triple 16.
    zaza.

Chances are there could be a bit of residual "N" in the plot on the left...that could go a little way to explain the amount of stem & leaf on the crop ?

OR...You could have a variety called Duke of York ? We have grown Duke of York for a while now, Red skinned & yellow fleshed - They are a good "all-rounder". And this variety always produces a hell of a lot of stem.

And Cara - fantastic for baked potatoes & lovely creamy mash from this old pink eye variety...but make damn sure you watch the pan of boiling spuds carefully, unless you want potato soup !

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    zaza.

Chances are there could be a bit of residual "N" in the plot on the left...that could go a little way to explain the amount of stem & leaf on the crop ?

OR...You could have a variety called Duke of York ? We have grown Duke of York for a while now, Red skinned & yellow fleshed - They are a good "all-rounder". And this variety always produces a hell of a lot of stem
    !
    Duke of York is a white variety http://www.varieties.potato.org.uk/d...ke%20Of%20York what you have must be Red Dukes http://www.varieties.potato.org.uk/d...ke%20Of%20York

I was thinking the same about the fertiliser, was the spreader correctly calibrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Dram View Post
    Duke of York is a white variety http://www.varieties.potato.org.uk/d...ke%20Of%20York what you have must be Red Dukes http://www.varieties.potato.org.uk/d...ke%20Of%20York

I was thinking the same about the fertiliser, was the spreader correctly calibrated?
    Bearing in mind zaza was talking about Desiree, a red skinned spud, I assumed people would have taken it for granted that I meant the Red variant of the Duke of york variety - http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/buy...-seed-potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Dram View Post

Absolutely it was. A full handfull swung swiftly from right to left while pacing at approximately 0.98kph. Area of ground rectangular in shape 3mtrs wide and 8 mtrs long and level. Calm day and no pikes so no overlap. Took the added precaution of half dosing and covering it twice, the second time in the opposite direction to the first. The arc of the swinging arm was carefully adjusted so that the product did not pollute the Head Gardener's runner, French, and dwarf beans. The product used was 16:16:16 and so having a nitrogenous content would have meant serious consequences for the operator if it had been allowed to penetrate the Head Gardener's nitogen-fixing legumes.
    Last edited by zaza; 01-07-14 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks Phil. Duke of York you say ? Does that mean that they will grow fat and any offspring will have ginger hair ?

ps. Hope all is well with you.

Absolutely it was. A full handfull swung swiftly from right to left while pacing at approximately 0.98kph. Area of ground rectangular in shape 3mtrs wide and 8 mtrs long and level. Calm day and no pikes so no overlap. Took the added precaution of half dosing and covering it twice, the second time in the opposite direction to the first. The arc of the swinging arm was carefully adjusted so that the product did not pollute the Head Gardener's runner, French, and dwarf beans. The product used was 16:16:16 and so having a nitrogenous content would have meant serious consequences for the operator if it had been allowed to penetrate the Head Gardener's nitogen-fixing legumes.
    There's your problem, the wrong fertiliser.
    you need far more potash
    sadly you do not note the size of the handful in Grammes so it is difficult to assess the over/ underdosing
    i am very happy to recomend adjustments if you can supply the soil indices

Working in such a sensitive area perhaps fertiliser placement might be a better option than broadcasting.

Enjoying some lovely bard chips tonight now they are up to a size, had some marfona for dinner that I scrabbed out whilst spraying, did I mention I quite like spuds, I dont like the fact the price is 4.50/bag now though there is nothing in earlies at 12t/acre