Thread: Vicon or Krone baler

Vicon or Krone baler

Looking to replace a Vicon 187 belt baler, no good for silage, quick in straw, will keep it anyway and add second machine. Anyway Im probably going to do all silage next year onwards so need something better, have seen a 1601 for sale sensible bale count, or a krone 1500 vario pack 2002 machine. Any views on the krone, what are they like in straw how heavy are the bales, any problems. Are they 1601s better in silage than my old vicon.

Re: Vicon or Krone baler

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy View Post
    Looking to replace a Vicon 187 belt baler, no good for silage, quick in straw, will keep it anyway and add second machine. Anyway Im probably going to do all silage next year onwards so need something better, have seen a 1601 for sale sensible bale count, or a krone 1500 vario pack 2002 machine. Any views on the krone, what are they like in straw how heavy are the bales, any problems. Are they 1601s better in silage than my old vicon.
    The Vicon will make a heavier bale in straw.

Krone parts are too expensive (And you will need some)

Just changed our Vario Pack 1500 for the Comprima version with double set of knives. Cannot fault Krone performance and service, but the older chain machines could get expensive for chains and sprockets. The Comprima, with web belts supporting the bars, is very much quieter, and should have less wear. Its really only the chains which were a running cost, so before buying a second hand one, cost out replacement front and back chains and sprockets. We looked for well over 10,000 bales to a back chain, and more for a front.

Stephen

Personaly for silage i would go for a fixed chamber roller baler

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbred View Post
    Personaly for silage i would go for a fixed chamber roller baler
    I.E. McHale 5500, unbeatable!!!!

Krone Comprima will perform well in grass and straw so I'm lead to believe.

How do roller balers perform in straw?

Quote Originally Posted by sjt01 View Post
    Just changed our Vario Pack 1500 for the Comprima version with double set of knives. Cannot fault Krone performance and service, but the older chain machines could get expensive for chains and sprockets. The Comprima, with web belts supporting the bars, is very much quieter, and should have less wear. Its really only the chains which were a running cost, so before buying a second hand one, cost out replacement front and back chains and sprockets. We looked for well over 10,000 bales to a back chain, and more for a front.

Stephen
    How u find comprima wat model hav u

We have a Krone 1500 VP cannot fault it bale anything not a bad bale, used to have an old JD belt baler would love to have a 1 for every bale that one had done, belts were starting to get tiered and used to give problems if the silage was a bit on the damp side, would put a tight bale together the Krone is a different class not quite as tight a bale but a good bale shape. a monkey could drive it, so simple and takes very little power to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Th6800 View Post
    How u find comprima wat model hav u
    Its a V180 XC, very pleased with it. Virtually all our forage kit is Krone, and we no longer look at other brands as it performs extremely well and we have excellent service from our dealers and Krone

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
    Krone Comprima will perform well in grass and straw so I'm lead to believe.

How do roller balers perform in straw?
    From what i have read they make light bales,

if you go on youtube and search a belt bailer vs roller baler there is some one with a bale un-roller unrolling each down a field, it unbelievable the extra amount the belt bailer puts in as its basically a variable chamber keeping the bail tight all the way through the bailing process.

So for straw you really do want a belt bailer or your wasting money on extra bails that are lighter, you can even see the comparison if you have the bales next to each other fixed chamber have really soft centres.

Quote Originally Posted by sjt01 View Post
    Its a V180 XC, very pleased with it. Virtually all our forage kit is Krone, and we no longer look at other brands as it performs extremely well and we have excellent service from our dealers and Krone

Stephen
    Wat ar the new krone 155 xtreme like