Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counrtyfile's John Craven: "I'll never be fully accepted by country folk"

Counrtyfile's John Craven: "I'll never be fully accepted by country folk"

Seeing Phil's countryfile poll thread reminded me of this headline in yesterdays Daily Telegraph-

John Craven has presented Countryfile for 25 years and made his home in the Oxfordshire countryside but says he will never be accepted as a true 'country person'

Having grown up with the old BBC1 Farming on a sunday and the likes of Anglia + other ITV regional farming programmes, neither the countryfile programme nor its oldest presenter has been accepted here........

Daily Telegraph article here- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/cou...ntry-folk.html

Re: Counrtyfile's John Craven: "I'll never be fully accepted by country folk"

None of the presenters are up to much.Put up with Julia/Ellie/Helen because they are fit birds.Try to tolerate Matt Baker as he's a farmers son.Adam Henson best of the bunch,at least tries to squeeze 5 minutes of farming on to the programme.I've always treated the programme as 45 minutes of twaddle to sit through just to get the weather forecast.As for John Craven,he might be accepted more if he weren't a pillock.
    Last edited by timhaven; 16-07-14 at 05:07 PM.

never watch Countryfile as I would rather be eating my roast dinner.
    John Craven would be more suited to Blue Peter and yes, not a true country person but I'm damned if I can put my finger on what makes one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    John Craven would be more suited to Blue Peter and yes, not a true country person but I'm damned if I can put my finger on what makes one?
    Would rather eat my own foot,with wellie on, than watch Countryfile.As for the weather on it,there is always a big blank space over my part of the map,next time check it out,right in the middle of Scotland will be nothing,everywhere else gets a turn at having clouds and raindrops and suns plastered over them,not us.My father would have called me an idiot,and said you should watch it,know your enemy.......(Even the thought of applying that ethos to any of Cowals productions and others of that ilk is way beyond my pain threshold.But each to their own.)

You get dicks in the town and in the country. John C would more likely be accepted if he hadn't spend 25 years promoting a pinkoleftyantihuntingfarmerskillallwildlife agenda. It's his own fault.

There has never been a decent farming programme since "The Other Man's Farm" presented by Franklin Engleman. Now come on, own up, who is old enough to remember that ?
    Last edited by zaza; 16-07-14 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    There has never been a decent farming programme since "The Other Man's Farm" presented by Franklin Engleman. Now come on, own up, who remembers that ?

Still got the book - assisted by Jack Hargreeves of course ?

Apart from Adam Henson (and he isn't always good) Countryfile is invariably about an hour of patronising mind numbing twaddle that I used to have to watch just to get the weather forecast. Thankfully with the internet and other sources of weather information for the week ahead I don't need to endure it any more.

It would help if he (Craven) wasn't so patronisingly scornful of 'farmers'.
    "Why should farmers (Sniff, roll eyes) have their own TV programme??" he once said to me.

And ....
    He has no sense of humour whatsoever. But is a sycophantic crawler to those whom he thinks may be higher up the social ladder. A bit of an embarrassment really. IMO of course

A true country person should be able to plunge convincingly into a hedge. I can't see Craven doing that somehow.

With, or without, drink taken?
    Else why on earth would one wish to plunge into a hedge, voluntarily?

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldogg View Post
    With, or without, drink taken?
    Else why on earth would one wish to plunge into a hedge, voluntarily?
    Grab an errant sheep's hind leg? Pull a rabbit from a net? Retrieve the cider?

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Grab an errant sheep's hind leg? Pull a rabbit from a net? Retrieve the cider?

..................and getting out of the way of some of the mad motorists that use the narrow country lanes.

And yes, when I say "mad motorists" - that includes some of the local farmers...you know who you are !

There's a lad up our road who is very good indeed at plunging convincingly into a hedge. Trouble is he is usually in either a large tractor or a tuned up Sierra at the time. Selfish buggar doesn't fix the holes he makes either.

Its ironic that that the program named Countryfile should be so unpopular with the most authentic of country people - the farmers. it should be considered as one of the great persistent failures in TV history.

john Craven appears to know how we feel about him. Good. He was alright when he did newsround. And then I grew up. He's just another TV personality who likes the sound of his own voice and seems to think its his job to hold farmers to account for the way they run their private businesses.

It always makes me cringe when he come out with the line "modern farming practises have led to " , and yet featured on the programmes from time to time are people original ideas in food production are they not modern or is it purely a size and scale thing.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Countryfile always gets a "lot of stick" on Twitter, especially as you can include those involved - eg. @tomheapmedia @AdamHenson & @JuliaBradbury - in the 'twitter thread' to let them know!

One such thread started on Sunday https://twitter.com/PeteJackson01/st...78720995258370

Tom Heap's 'reply' - https://twitter.com/tomheapmedia/sta...28579051819008

Not watched Countyfile in this house for a few years, except for the #SOSdairy episode.
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_TM View Post
    Countryfile always gets a "lot of stick" on Twitter, especially as you can include those involved - eg. @tomheapmedia @AdamHenson & @JuliaBradbury - in the 'twitter thread' to let them know!

One such thread started on Sunday https://twitter.com/PeteJackson01/st...78720995258370

Not watched Countyfile in this house for a few years, except for the #SOSdairy episode.
    Interesting but having a quick look at that twitter stuff makes me realise why I don't bother. All that @ & hashtag rubbish. Besides which, if you haven't got time to watch Countryside, how the chuff to you have time to look & respond to tweets? #justsaying

Not trying to defend John Craven, far from it, but look at things from another angle. The BBC need viewer ratings to justify the licence fee. And a lot of townies have moved into the countryside these last 20-30 years. They haven't got a clue (in the main) why we do what we do on farms. Admittedly a few want to find out but all of them, having lived rurally for a few years, certainly want to identify with their surroundings. And Countryfile is a comfort blanket to them. They now live in the country and want to be part of it and Craven et al can give it to them. so, ipso facto, the programme is popular with them, they watch it and it pumps the ratings up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_TM View Post

I'm afraid Tom Heap falls in to the same category as the likes of Bill Oddy & Chris Packam...they all have very one sided views on Shooting, Badgers & TB and also farming in general. They are all anti-shooting & Hunting ! None of them would ever concede that Badgers play a major part in the spread of TB & are against culling of any sort ! And they all want "intensive" farming done away with ! One of them even thinks that, having turned the world completely veggie, we can still keep cattle & sheep in the fields etc....just to look at them!
    In other words...all three of them need a bloody good reality check !

The important question though is this - how on earth do the BBC get away with having people like this reporting on, or presenting, news reports & programs that cover subjects & topics where it is perfectly clear the reporters & presenters have a biased view ???

As for Countryfile as a whole ? we feel that having the likes of Tom Heap & Craven on it (and Packam at times) taints the entire program ! Which is a shame - because Adam Henson tries his best & there are times when some of the reports done by the other presenters are also quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I'm afraid Tom Heap falls in to the same category as the likes of Bill Oddy & Chris Packam...they all have very one sided views on Shooting, Badgers & TB and also farming in general. They are all anti-shooting & Hunting ! None of them would ever concede that Badgers play a major part in the spread of TB & are against culling of any sort ! And they all want "intensive" farming done away with ! One of them even thinks that, having turned the world completely veggie, we can still keep cattle & sheep in the fields etc....just to look at them!
    In other words...all three of them need a bloody good reality check !

The important question though is this - how on earth do the BBC get away with having people like this reporting on, or presenting, news reports & programs that cover subjects & topics where it is perfectly clear the reporters & presenters have a biased view ???

As for Countryfile as a whole ? we feel that having the likes of Tom Heap & Craven on it (and Packam at times) taints the entire program ! Which is a shame - because Adam Henson tries his best & there are times when some of the reports done by the other presenters are also quite interesting.
    As has been said in another post; the reason the BBC can employ people like Craven, Packham et al, is that their opinions and the spin that they put on rural issues are probably what the majority of viewers want to hear, and what the BBC consider is good for ratings. What farmers think, and what are the true facts of these issues doesn't really matter to the programme makers; Countryfile sells well so why let unpalatable hard facts spoil a programme that seemingly everybody apart from farmers seems to watch?

Phil Drabble he was a true country person. It's not something you can buy or make you either have it or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by An Gof View Post
    Phil Drabble he was a true country person. It's not something you can buy or make you either have it or you don't.
    I think that's the answer. It's just a way that you dress, talk, act etc.

I think that's the answer. It's just a way that you dress, talk, act etc.
    Not sure about the dress thing. I think the fact that townies are terrified of the countryside and I at least am pretty terrified of big towns or cities says it all. It's where you have to be that's important. There is some kind of visceral connection with the land that I don't think town dwellers have. I'm not sure you can learn it.

Not sure about the dress thing. I think the fact that townies are terrified of the countryside and I at least am pretty terrified of big towns or cities says it all. It's where you have to be that's important. There is some kind of visceral connection with the land that I don't think town dwellers have. I'm not sure you can learn it.
    I wouldn't go in to a town (even a market town) dressed like I normally am. The smell of cow & their poo would proceed me by several metres. In the morning, I have to crack my trousers to get them on .....

Craven is typical of presenters who have been around for a while, they believe that they know more than they do on the basis that they read a script prepared for them rather than having n depth knowledge and they come across as pompous. Chris Packham is another pompous but silly fellow. During Hive Alive filming which took two weeks, 9 hours a day, he apparently spent most of his time on his iPad reading up so he could come across as knowledgeable. The only ones who rally knew their stuff were the Professor and John Smyth, the beekeeper. Packham and the obligatory female were surplus to requirements.

I wouldn't go in to a town (even a market town) dressed like I normally am. The smell of cow & their poo would proceed me by several metres. In the morning, I have to crack my trousers to get them on .....
    Good for clearing you a space at the bar though (in emergencies after a long day of course).

This thread has again started the wider debate that surfaces quite often:

I've posted several times what a cr*p programme Countryfile is. Ellie apart (totty value only) it's a cross between John Craven's Newsround, and Coast.

The BBC's agenda is definitely anti-farming and almost anti-countryside in the true sense of the word. Someone told me today - and I think it was Robin Page's input again - that the Game Fair has very similar attendance numbers to Chelsea Flower Show, Hampton Court and Glastonbury. All these feature wall to wall, all week or all week-end on the BBC and yet the CLA GF is shhhhhhh - a secret......

There are staple industries in this country and we all have no option than to watch them go down the plughole. When the car industry (in the main) closed down, as did Luton and Banner Lane no one really notices. Shipbuilding? again no one really notices.

But let farming and the 'countryside' disappear at our peril. We'll be buying Soylent from vending machines and watching the land grow over. Jesus H, I only have to watch my urbo incoming neighbours' behaviour to see how quickly the acres can deteriorate.

I don't know what the answer is, but it 'ain't the BBC Where's the balls in this country?
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    This thread has again started the wider debate that surfaces quite often:

I've posted several times what a cr*p programme Countryfile is. Ellie apart (totty value only) it's a cross between John Craven's Newsround, and Coast.

The BBC's agenda is definitely anti-farming and almost anti-countryside in the true sense of the word. Someone told me today - and I think it was Robin Page's input again - that the Game Fair has very similar attendance numbers to Chelsea Flower Show, Hampton Court and Glastonbury. All these feature wall to wall, all week or all week-end on the BBC and yet the CLA GF is shhhhhhh - a secret......

There are staple industries in this country and we all have no option than to watch them go down the plughole. When the car industry (in the main) closed down, as did Luton and Banner Lane no one really notices. Shipbuilding? again no one really notices.

But let farming and the 'countryside' disappear at our peril. We'll be buying Soylent from vending machines and watching the land grow over. Jesus H, I only have to watch my urbo incoming neighbours' behaviour to see how quickly the acres can deteriorate.

I don't know what the answer is, but it 'ain't the BBC Where's the balls in this country?
    At this moment in time? - Probably scheming up some dastardly plot to get Millybean out & take over as leader ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    At this moment in time? - Probably scheming up some dastardly plot to get Millybean out & take over as leader ?
    Only thing worse than the wretched Millibean would be Ed Balls; no, come to think of it the absolute nadir of leadership would be 'Hapless' Harriet Harman. There again who would honestly want George 'I'm an Old Etonian Dontchaknow' Osborne at the helm?
    As with so many modern political 'personalities' they are professional politicians with little or no concept of the realities of life.

I think the fact that townies are terrified of the countryside and I at least am pretty terrified of big towns or cities says it all. It's where you have to be that's important. There is some kind of visceral connection with the land that I don't think town dwellers have. I'm not sure you can learn it.
    Is this one of the typical Countryfile viewers?

British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum