Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Counrtyfile's John Craven: "I'll never be fully accepted by country folk"

Re: Counrtyfile's John Craven: "I'll never be fully accepted by country folk"

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_TM View Post
    Is this one of the typical Countryfile viewers?

Bullocks to the lot of them .......... we have a rock pecker going at the moment from 8am until 6pm and are managing to annoy everyone (myself included )

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    This thread has again started the wider debate that surfaces quite often:

I've posted several times what a cr*p programme Countryfile is. Ellie apart (totty value only) it's a cross between John Craven's Newsround, and Coast.

The BBC's agenda is definitely anti-farming and almost anti-countryside in the true sense of the word. Someone told me today - and I think it was Robin Page's input again - that the Game Fair has very similar attendance numbers to Chelsea Flower Show, Hampton Court and Glastonbury. All these feature wall to wall, all week or all week-end on the BBC and yet the CLA GF is shhhhhhh - a secret......

There are staple industries in this country and we all have no option than to watch them go down the plughole. When the car industry (in the main) closed down, as did Luton and Banner Lane no one really notices. Shipbuilding? again no one really notices.

But let farming and the 'countryside' disappear at our peril. We'll be buying Soylent from vending machines and watching the land grow over. Jesus H, I only have to watch my urbo incoming neighbours' behaviour to see how quickly the acres can deteriorate.

I don't know what the answer is, but it 'ain't the BBC Where's the balls in this country?
    Ireland. We have a program here like Countryfile, "Ear to the Ground". The secret of these two programs is that they
    are _not_ farming programs, but programs about rural matters for townspeople. Some of Countryfiles camera work is
    superb.

I hate CFs photographs competitions. Patronising, exploiting. and the rare breeds of sheep?.. They are not rare breeds,
    they are all subclasses of what we call "Scotties". Rare breed is those little Cumbrians. Rant, rant

Would she expect peace and tranquillity in any other physical-work environment? Gags for the cattle then?

Nice cutting Bald Rick - I used to be an Environmental Health Officer working on noise nuisance. Frequently got complaints about silage cutting on the weekends and night time. I used to send a diary to the complainant to complete and when it (rarely) got returned I used to visit and talk about how hard these farmers must have to work as they rarely seemed to get time off - especially on weekends or bank holidays. Never did see the complainants point.
    I used to get complaints of smells from muck spreading too. I only wished we had more pig farmers in he area.

I would say that is a typical example of what happens when these urbanites move in to a more rural area.

We are overrun with the muppets.
    The new town of Crannbrook, that will extend to some 8 to 10,000 houses when finished, now has approx 850 residents (a lot of which have moved down from big cities in the middlands & further North) and already there are complaints about noise from Exeter Airport & an industrial estate ! There have, apparently, also bean complaints about some of the local farmers spreading muck on their land ? "How dare they....what on earth next" ?
    Now If I were some of them I would be far more concerned about what will happen when the development is complete...and the houses down at the bottom get swamped out with flood water.
    Apparently the contractors that are building the new Railway station have, allegedly, stopped work ?
    Apparently it is Something to do with the land being unstable & too wet ? No shit Sherlock...it's a bloody flood plain for christ sake, we did try to tell the council & planners this but they were, allegedly, too busy swapping brown envelopes to listen.

And if that's not enough - a 5 hectare field just the other side of the river from us.................

Part of it is the bit below the long white roof & grey building the other side of the willow...with the rest of the field just to the right (and out of shot) of our field in the second photo (with crannbrook in the background).
    Was granted outline planning permission for 18 industrial units a couple of years ago, we were only opposed to this due to the extra traffic on an already dangerous & congested road, now they have re-applied to change the planning consent to "residential" and intend to build nearly 50 bloody houses on it ??

Well this should give any prospective residents a good idea of what the road in to the place will be like several times a year................

It really is beyond a joke, quite how these planners can justify giving consent for some of these developments beggars belief.

Oddly enough, one of our local county & district Councillors has not objected or even commented on yet another 45 houses being built in the flood plane on a green field site ? yet that same Councillor recently commented on an application to build 3 small dwellings on quite a sizeable brown field site in the village, that is already surrounded by housing, stating that the over development of the site and access issues would need to be addressed ? WTF ???
    I really don't know if I should laugh...or...cry ?

Quote Originally Posted by windylamb View Post
    Nice cutting Bald Rick - I used to be an Environmental Health Officer working on noise nuisance. Frequently got complaints about silage cutting on the weekends and night time. I used to send a diary to the complainant to complete and when it (rarely) got returned I used to visit and talk about how hard these farmers must have to work as they rarely seemed to get time off - especially on weekends or bank holidays. Never did see the complainants point.
    I used to get complaints of smells from muck spreading too. I only wished we had more pig farmers in he area.
    Can't take the credit there Windy - Twas "Sam T_M" or Mags to you