Thread: Twitter

Twitter

Don't know if this is the right bit of the forum (move if not) but having dissed Twitter, twittering & all things social media (because I don't understand it & have little time to be looking for constant updates etc), I have finally signed up to see what all the fuss is about - not that I know how to make a start ....

Now, I thought it might be useful if those of you who "do" twitterings could stick up your handle so that others of us can decide whether to follow? Don't know if that's a good idea, if it's been done before or what but I am logged in as:

@menaijerseys

Case of watching this space for the first effort (suggestions?)

Re: Twitter

Welcome to Twitter

For farming news follow @johantasker and @AlistairDriver: for farming non-news try @essexpeasant

Beware some accounts are not genuine, @OwenPatersonMP is certainly not and I'm having my doubts about @Queen_UK and @TheTweetOfGod

For a profound first tweet I think @GeorgeMonbiot did well with "a tweet is a short electronic communication for which you later have to apologise"

@FarmersOfTheUK

Can be very interesting. Different farmer each week.

Quote Originally Posted by nivilla1982 View Post
    @FarmersOfTheUK

Can be very interesting. Different farmer each week.
    Agree, that's a very interesting account. This week, Mon 21st - Sun 27th July: tweets from @chestnutsfarm"

I got 'into' Twitter during #SOSdairy but don't look in there as often now - @mags2milkyway
    Now following @menaijerseys

I don't follow any celebrities, just similar farming folk (mostly dairy), other agric related tweeters & local news/weather information.

You can get ideas of who to follow by looking to see who others, of similar interests to you, are 'following'.

Every 'event' or 'issue' has a #hashtag to identify tweets about it & by searching for them, you can see who is interested in these.
    Of agric interest are ...
    #teamdairy - all things dairy
    #clubhectare - arable tweets
    #BeefGB - beef
    #paddockposse - sheep, lambing tweets
    #agrichatuk - general agric topics
    #aggen - young people in farming
    #farmpics - farming pictures
    Others # can be added to a tweet for expression eg. #TBfree #BuyBritish #lovecows etc

@agrichatuk hold weekly Twitter discussion sessions - Thurdays 8-10pm - covering a wide range of subjects.
    Its a DEFRA politics special on Thurs 24 July 8-10pm.
    All tweets should have #agrichatuk in them so you can read & reply (ie.join in) the discussion.

Agric tweeters - you'll be surprised at how many businesses you use, have a Twitter account.
    media - @FarmersWeekly @FarmersGuardian
    Dairy - @milkmaker73 @Sambrondanw @robertnewbery @robharrison37 @BakersofHP @cowmanagement @PhilLatham
    Arable - @sunkfarmer
    Gov - @Ruralpay @DefraGovUK @DefraFAS @NFUPolitical @NFUtweets @RTfarmers

So! Do a few tweets - introduce yourself, let folk know who you are, put a few photos up - get involved in a few discussions, 'retweet' tweets you think should go on to a wider audience, 'favourite' tweets as a thank-you or ones you want to highlight for future ... Hope you find it interesting/useful.
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Welcome to Twitter

For a profound first tweet I think @GeorgeMonbiot did well with "a tweet is a short electronic communication for which you later have to apologise"
    Oh the irony. He really should have listened to his own advice on that one.

I have to be honest & say that I haven't yet plucked up the courage to ping something profound into the twittersphere as I can't think of anything! AND I have confess that I don't understand a lot of what has been tweeted in the first place which is even worse. At least here, I can ramble to my hearts content. Perhaps tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    I have to be honest & say that I haven't yet plucked up the courage to ping something profound into the twittersphere as I can't think of anything! AND I have confess that I don't understand a lot of what has been tweeted in the first place which is even worse. At least here, I can ramble to my hearts content. Perhaps tomorrow?
    Don't worry, you don't need courage, just a picture of a cow and a few words which don't have to make any more sense than the rest of us . I've followed you with my account @PerkinsLodge and our holiday cottage account @meadowviewUK. Have a look at the levy board accounts too, appreciate @Eblextweets releases weekly market report summaries, links to new KT articles etc and I'm sure DairyCo will do the same. It's a useful way of accessing the info being produced in other countries which may have some relevance to what you are doing at home.

@Sambrondanw is well worth a follow too; I know nothing about dairy but Sam seems to be on the ball and will retweet anything that may be of interest
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk