Thread: osr moisture

osr moisture

At what moisture content should rape be at to harvest?

Re: osr moisture

Max at intake is 9% if you were selling or storing it.

All ours was between 8.5. And 8.1. The bloke at united oil seeds said that were ideal, any drier and you are losing oil,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    All ours was between 8.5. And 8.1. The bloke at united oil seeds said that were ideal, any drier and you are losing oil,,

First year ever they may be spraying with water to add % moisture is it ?????

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    First year ever they may be spraying with water to add % moisture is it ?????
    Ahem I doubt it, when we had the last hot summer, bout 5-6 years ago our OSR was under 6% we got big deductions and charged for an "additive" ...so they could mill it.... Not growing again till the price move the right way,,

Ahem I doubt it, when we had the last hot summer, bout 5-6 years ago our OSR was under 6% we got big deductions and charged for an "additive" ...so they could mill it.... Not growing again till the price move the right way,,
    Stories around here of rape entering a local store at around 5%, ours was all in the mid 7's or above.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Stories around here of rape entering a local store at around 5%, ours was all in the mid 7's or above.
    best cut some at 12% to mix in.

Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    best cut some at 12% to mix in.
    Suspect that is what the store will do if they can find any that wet locally, it's not rained properly here for weeks though so most will be pretty dry. We only had 3mm at our place when the thunder and lightening was over a lot of the south and midlands a week or so back so finding damp osr may be tricky.

Mine was 4.9% one day last week so stopped cutting, but next morning it was 10.5% so started again. No rain overnight, just a bit of dew.

Just cut my last trailer load a 11.2% in between spitty showers this pm, any bids?

Quote Originally Posted by David. View Post
    Just cut my last trailer load a 11.2% in between spitty showers this pm, any bids?
    Did you avoid the deluge that came on Thursday?! We only had 4 acres of oats left which is very frustrating but glad we didn't have any OSR still to cut. Around 10mm in 20 minutes with most of it coming almost like a monsoon. Forecast going forward looks annoying too

What are you guys finding with your OSR?

Around here the vine is saying moderately poor would be putting it politely. Some people struggling with 1.25t/ac.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Did you avoid the deluge that came on Thursday?! We only had 4 acres of oats left which is very frustrating but glad we didn't have any OSR still to cut. Around 10mm in 20 minutes with most of it coming almost like a monsoon. Forecast going forward looks annoying too
    It was over you was it, crikey that looked as black as hell.
    No rain at all till yesterday 3pm, only enough to wet tinwork, emptied trailer, had dinner, got going again and finished off by 7pm.

Local intake for "Openfield" has decided that a 2 per tonne charge for "cooling" is the way forward. (They haven't been able to charge for much drying )
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Quote Originally Posted by David. View Post
    It was over you was it, crikey that looked as black as hell.
    No rain at all till yesterday 3pm, only enough to wet tinwork, emptied trailer, had dinner, got going again and finished off by 7pm.
    Very jealous of that, in fairness we usually seem to miss the downpours though so maybe it was our turn. Aiming to go again on Monday all being well. I left the last trailer tipped up in the shed for 20 minutes and there was still water dripping out the back at that point, it was far too wet to get the contents up the auger though.

So B V what will you grow instead ? C

Quote Originally Posted by crusader View Post
    So B V what will you grow instead ? C
    Thats the million dollar question??? Something that's fits the rotation,, the yield was just about 1 1/4 ish, WB hasn't broken the barn, wheats are distinctly average, peas do well on our land provided we get a nice harvest time, beans do all right, but are a bit late and clash with the spuds n apples, ,,, linseed??? Oh no nightmare stuff..

the guvnor will probably put WOSR in, even though last week he wasn't,, although some of the OSR land has already had turnips drilled in it..

Come along now Vern, maize is the answer down on that lovely dirt you have and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Come along now Vern, maize is the answer down on that lovely dirt you have and you know it.
    It's only the answer if you have,

a, something to eat it,
    b, a customer who wants it and pays for it,,
    c, it comes of dry and fairly early,,,

else it's a buggers muddle, fields look like the Somme, ,, yeah ill have that in October at 500, (then you get a mega crop)and said buyer only wants for nowt like you owe him a favour,, gate posts broke off by the so called trailer jocks on the CB or mobile, doing a top gear round your farm tracks,,, and finally trying to scoush some wheat into said shitty mess on Xmas eve or Boxing Day in a wet year,,, mmmm our lovely dirt doesn't need that abuse too much???

Hows tricks anyway mate?? Thought all you agros wher on holiday for bit???

Hi Vern.

Last year maize was being auctioned in these parts for 650 an acre. A customer was actually selling some out of the pit collected in November for 40 quid a tonne.

At that sort of value the fact you can't get wheat behind it sometimes would not concern me. There aren't many folk who will get 650 an acre out of wheat this autumn and at the same time have no combining or drying costs.

Promar consultants recently stated to a customer of mine that their calculations across a range of units indicated a cost of production of about 127 quid a tonne in wheat this year. Unfortunately there are people in the world who can grow it for rather less than that.

As for me I am going on holiday again shortly, but in the meantime it's soil sampling, grass seed, sorting peoples cropping plans and meeting new prospective clients that I'm up to. Nothing worse than cold calling to be honest but has to be done. Got to keep a few new irons in the fire like.

If you fancy a day out I'll let you know when the maize open day is and we can go to the pub afterwards if you want.

very close to 2t/ac here, looked good all year, any where from 10.4% down to 6.7% and in the high 40's oil content

Yes let me know, always up for a bevy or too????
    on holiday again,,, PJ must be paying to much commission

Thats the million dollar question??? Something that's fits the rotation,, the yield was just about 1 1/4 ish, WB hasn't broken the barn, wheats are distinctly average, peas do well on our land provided we get a nice harvest time, beans do all right, but are a bit late and clash with the spuds n apples, ,,, linseed??? Oh no nightmare stuff..

thee guvnor will probably put WOSR in, even though last week he wasn't,, although some of the OSR land has already had turnips drilled in it..
    90 acs of OSR drilled yesterday , rolled in last night and this am, the guv is spraying the pre em now, ,,,,, so much for we won't grow that next year,,,, still praps it will yield better and be worth more than thruppence h'apenny,,,,

How did your OSR go Vern? Pretty average yields around about I hear.

I'd like to say it did well but I'd be lying.. Can't remember exact wights over weighbridge at Hopkins all between 1.25 and 1.5 an acre, normally it would be 1.75 ish n higher