Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: badgers and bTB

Re: badgers and bTB

I had the misfortune to read some of the saviour of British agriculture's tweets yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    I had the misfortune to read some of the saviour of British agriculture's tweets yesterday.
    .. and we really don't need any of that sort of nonsense on here. Do you really think it was good idea to ask him to join BFF, why not direct him to that less polite farming forum instead?

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    .. and we really don't need any of that sort of nonsense on here. Do you really think it was good idea to ask him to join BFF, why not direct him to that less polite farming forum instead?
    What makes you think the Ladies of FD would want him
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    What makes you think the Ladies of FD would want him
    Cheeky bugger

This one I'd like to string from the nearest berluddy lamp post...

http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/.../54681.article
    FFS

Now I know why the EU thinks we're all bouncing restricted cattle all over the place, as Dr. May (call me Brian) is telling them.

I don't see a problem with it for a number of reasons, not least of all because he isn't going to take up my offer. is he? He says he wants to enlighten farmers as to his 'revolutionary' ideas. Well, here we are, enlighten us.

We really ought to be capable of engaging with him politely, even if we disagree. Ultimately his ideas don't stand up to close scrutiny, as has already been outlined on here and the old forum, but twitter, though useful for sharing information, is a very poor medium for debate.

I don't think he's actually really interested in engaging with farmers though, i think he's more interested in the attention he gets from the converted, that's why he's on twitter and The guardian's comment section, rather than on here. I've called his bluff, i don't think he'll take me up on it, but if he does, i'm more than willing to engage with him in a polite and reasoned manner, to do anything else would make us no better than the baying mob that shout down any dissenting view about badger on twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    This one I'd like to string from the nearest berluddy lamp post...

http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/.../54681.article
    FFS

Now I know why the EU thinks we're all bouncing restricted cattle all over the place, as Dr. May (call me Brian) is telling them.
    that's not what I'd call him. the only good thing one can say regarding that story is that at least the offence was picked up by (presumably) either trading standards or an RPA inspection, so you could say that the safeguards are working, though of course the obvious answer to that is 'how many other offences go undetected?'

A day to plan for

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    A day to plan for

We'll have to photoshop that one as a 'National March to Promote the Spread of Tuberculosis.'

Yes please Matt2....

We need to get some ideas to combat #badgermonday next week.

Any ideas anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt the Rat View Post
    Yes please Matt2....

Any ideas anyone?
    Facebook campaign with photos of cows that were reactors ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt the Rat View Post
    Yes please Matt2....

Any ideas anyone?
    2 weeks ago on #badgermonday I tweeted stuff from the NFU's www.tbfreeengland.co.uk site, including their posters, just to try to make things not so one-sided ...

http://s24.postimg.org/3um97d385/TB1.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/yq3fyiaol/TB5.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/6emhf7g5x/TB4.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/hfhmk88et/TB3.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/5rnkpoj9x/TB2.jpg
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Trouble is partly that while food is available most folks won't/don't care one way or the other, while the Animal Rights lobby spout:

1. "Cattle are killed anyway"
    2. "Farmers don't 'love' their cattle" but they hate badgers and want to hunt animals with guns
    etc etc.......................

What is needed is a real scare to the general public - why were people so scared about BSE/CJD?
    or
    has that now been mentally logged as a "Cry Wolf" scenario and Tuberculosis simply added to the list?

Farming/farmers need a person with charisma, knowledge and quick thinking to go head to head with that May chap on TV.

I was thinking about this while I was feeding round this morning - as you do.
    The public have been brainwashed into believing that 'bovine' Tuberculosis is a disease of cattle, given (by cattle) to badgers, and that the bacterium does not affect them at all.

The posters above are good, but concentrate on cattle. That imo is a mistake.
    Although AHVLA still have to be dragged screaming into the daylight as far as numbers goes (their stats only count the confirming sample - i.e 1 of maybe hundreds of deaths) 'bovine' tuberculosis is now documented as a spill over from 'environmental' strains of badger TB into domestic cats and dogs, free range pigs, alpacas, llamas, goats, deer, bison, sheep and pigs. And human beings. Any mammal can catch this bacteria and the numbers are not small.

So, a poster of the 'disappeared' victims of this lethal bacteria?

RIP - somebody's pet cat?

This posting explains the mindset of these morons.

http://bovinetb.blogspot.co.uk/2010/...ng-cattle.html

Any mammal can catch this bacteria and the numbers are not small.
    The badgerists argue that the number IS small because that is what Gov stats tell them.

Cattle are THE enemy no 1 WRT spreading TB - [and farmers of course for moving them about] ".... that is why it is called BOVINE......" ............. case proven.

Now get past that mindset with suitable posters - if you can.

DEFRA have just sent to me some data which shows that the benefit of culling in Gloucestershire and Avon is still continuing today. In fact shortly after the last badger was culled total herd incidence was about a quarter of that in the whole of the South West. Between 2006 and 2010, i.e. 25 years later, this situation remains.

Apologies if its been posted before but I came across this today for the first time

http://www.tbfreeengland.co.uk/home/

Regarding Thornbury, DEFRA data shows that it has taken about 35 years for infected herd numbers to get back to what they were before the cull started. During this time infected herd numbers in the whole of the South West have more than quadrupled!!

Details and graphs are given at http://www.bovinetb.info/gassing.php#thornbury

Simon King in London today just before going into a parliamentary debate on badgers and Tb said that badgers are really only a small contributor to the spread of TB in Great Britain. I do not think that Prof Bourne has even said this.

If you can make out what he is saying above all the wind noise, he is interviewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ursDtP6zBs&sns=tw
    Last edited by ssimples; 18-04-13 at 08:06 AM.

Does anyone in Glos know Dave Purser and how he manages to keep his farm bTB-free?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dave...?utm_hp_ref=tw
    Resurrecting this thread, I'm guessing that Mr Purser is posting on twitter as Badger friendly farmers: @Badger_Friendly

https://twitter.com/farmerbasil/stat...86643541164032

As you'll see, he was keen to know how many vets the BVA represent, but not so keen to say how many farmers his organisation speaks for. My guess is 1.

Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Wales online has some even more succinct snippets:

http://bovinetb.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...st-update.html

So the Consultation statement on vax was a tad premature? Wow. We don't 'do' hope.....

A couple of hours ago a car pulled up outside our house and a couple of Indian men got out to look at the view we have. Got talking and the conversation was so interesting. The one gentleman was a Dr. Bomsi Wadia from Mumbai and is a leading light in studying Tb in pregnant women and speaks on the subject all over the world. ( Google Wadia Syndrome)
    He was telling me about the rapid spread of Tb in India and said that his government says that 50% of Indians have Tb but the truth is more like 90% and the other 10% have it but it is not showing. When I told him about the bovine Tb and badgers, he just said, "Boy oh boy, you have a big problem in the making."

I bet you'd have enjoyed a chat with him, Matthew.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    A couple of hours ago a car pulled up outside our house and a couple of Indian men got out to look at the view we have. Got talking and the conversation was so interesting. The one gentleman was a Dr. Bomsi Wadia from Mumbai and is a leading light in studying Tb in pregnant women and speaks on the subject all over the world. ( Google Wadia Syndrome)
    He was telling me about the rapid spread of Tb in India and said that his government says that 50% of Indians have Tb but the truth is more like 90% and the other 10% have it but it is not showing. When I told him about the bovine Tb and badgers, he just said, "Boy oh boy, you have a big problem in the making."

I bet you'd have enjoyed a chat with him, Matthew.
    Morning wr.
    Iowa university said the same thing 20 years ago. Any country allowing tuberculosis to fester in wildlife, had a potential time bomb for its human population.

On a more basic level, is it possible to get a business which has been totally wiped out (whole herd slaughter) back to viability? Several have had this devasting experience this now, and apart from the mortgage / loan repayments with no income for months, new herds take a while to settle in and perform to potential.
    Meanwhile, the 'problem' remains: scuttling around, coughing and reinfecting. No C & D in fields and pastures?

Morning wr.
    Iowa university said the same thing 20 years ago. Any country allowing tuberculosis to fester in wildlife, had a potential time bomb for its human population.

On a more basic level, is it possible to get a business which has been totally wiped out (whole herd slaughter) back to viability? Several have had this devasting experience this now, and apart from the mortgage / loan repayments with no income for months, new herds take a while to settle in and perform to potential.
    Meanwhile, the 'problem' remains: scuttling around, coughing and reinfecting. No C & D in fields and pastures?

A disgrace which makes the whole thing a farce ........

How long does an infected (infective ) badger last ?

How long before the entire family group becomes infected ?

Are cubs likely to become mature without being infected ?

In other words , will that infected sett die out ?

Maybe if the above were to happen say in the autumn before cattle housing , and the cattle went out onto clean pastures ( maybe if a tb test had taken a few at housing ) you are in with a chance ??

Or don't graze !........ I seem to remember someone in Wilts with two Lely Robots , who stopped the carnage by doing that .

Edit;

A further thought ...... I like the idea of a contraceptive implant ( if fools are trapping badgers to haphazardly vaccinate some ( with a vaccine that isn't approved and probably isn't effective ) then lets put an implant under the skin at the same time !! If they are still alive in three years time then they can start breeding again as it wears off .
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write

While out walking the fields a few nights ago, my son came across a badger which had reddish blisters on the skin inside it's legs. I didn't think there were any of the critters around here any more
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

I'll answer these with stuff from our PQs, as best I can:

Quote Originally Posted by arf View Post
    A disgrace which makes the whole thing a farce ........
    Not only a disgrace but a total waste of time, effort and taxpayer's money.

How long does an infected (infective ) badger last ?
    Too long. Up to 8 years, but typically 4 or 5. It is such a successful host because it can maintain body weight, breed and rear cubs while infected / infectious. TB doesn't kill it straight away.

How long before the entire family group becomes infected ?
    Most are 'infected'. TB is endemic in UK badgers. But not all will shed at the same time. But if one member has the disease, in the confines of the sett, with dark, stable humidity, that is ideal conditions to maintain infection.
    M.bovis can survive in that sort of area for up to 2 years.

Are cubs likely to become mature without being infected ?
    In the confines of a sett, and born to an infectious female, it is likely that she will have infected her cubs before they leave the sett. She has 2-5 cubs each year and thus in theory could infect up to 15 offspring.
    Pregnant and lactating females were excluded from any culls.

In other words , will that infected sett die out ?
    Unfortunately not.

Maybe if the above were to happen say in the autumn before cattle housing , and the cattle went out onto clean pastures ( maybe if a tb test had taken a few at housing ) you are in with a chance ??
    Many farmers have found that if their cattle have been infected at grass, after two tests they will go clear when the cattle are housed. It's happened to us in the last couple of years.

Or don't graze !........ I seem to remember someone in Wilts with two Lely Robots , who stopped the carnage by doing that .
    I've heard that too, but don't zero graze badger contaminated grass.

Edit;

A further thought ...... I like the idea of a contraceptive implant ( if fools are trapping badgers to haphazardly vaccinate some ( with a vaccine that isn't approved and probably isn't effective ) then lets put an implant under the skin at the same time !! If they are still alive in three years time then they can start breeding again as it wears off .
    Lead is cheaper.
    For the pill, they still have to catch them first. It isn't as easy as it's cracked up to be. See this story:

http://bovinetb.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...portunity.html