Thread: joint ill treatment

joint ill treatment

got two lambs showing signs of joint ill,only few days old,what can i traet them with,have given them some alamycin but not sure if thats ok for them?

Re: joint ill treatment

Always used synulox personnally, but it's a slow slow slow recovery....

Pen & Strep for 3 days seems to work very well for us.

Pen and strep but also rapidexon, helps reduce the inflammation and allows penicillin to work faster

Betamox LA & a shot of anti-inflammatory (Metacam?). If caught early, one dose will do, if gone a while it may need repeating.

I found Norclav good, but you need a clean needle each time or it will get lumpy in the bottle.

we use noroclav or betomox LA and also with rapidexon.

Was at a meeting during winter, prof Laura Green and our vets. Consensus was best results obtained by prolonged course of short acting ab, such as pen and strep. For as long as 10 days.
    Was jibed that most inject for a day or 3 - ie until they can't catch it!
    Anti inflammatory good too.

Prospects are bleak once they have it, I never found anything that would cure it, prevention is the only sure way

Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    Prospects are bleak once they have it, I never found anything that would cure it, prevention is the only sure way
    not these days FT , just needs to be caught early and proper course of treatment , with anti inflams , often its the swelling not the infection that causes the long term damage , had loads last year due to eresyipilas infection from feeding roots , only ended up with two with permenant damage in the end , treated all with half ml of ultrapen 30% for 5 days and half ml finidene , a lot of work though .

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Betamox LA & a shot of anti-inflammatory (Metacam?). If caught early, one dose will do, if gone a while it may need repeating.
    I give a shot of Betamox LA at around 24hrs old. At less than 10p per lamb I see it as cheap insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthyfarmer View Post
    I give a shot of Betamox LA at around 24hrs old. At less than 10p per lamb I see it as cheap insurance.
    We do the same, certainly helped us. Just a few cases this year have crept in, usually minimal - could be due to no room 'at the Inn' scenario - with every space available housing ewes and lambs

But these blanket uses of ab's are what they are trying to move people away from. It's considered a factor in the problem of ab resistance.

The way it gets in is through navels, if you dip or spray with iodine the incidence should drop.

Quote Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
    But these blanket uses of ab's are what they are trying to move people away from. It's considered a factor in the problem of ab resistance.
    Point taken, but after a big infection a few years back and the time wasted, drugs used and losses at the end, I'll stick with the blanket treatment till my vet tells me different.

Joint ill is a damn nightmare. You can get a treatment injection from the vets which you have to give everyday for a period but it never works very well. We used to get a lot of Joint ill but since we started giving every lamb a 1/2ml jab of Bimoxcyl and iodine on thier navel at birth, we now maybe get 1 or 2 cases a year out of a 400 lambing flock.

Why don't u use vaccine, it pays for o
    itself in time saved at lambing

Agree that I works fantastically well. However, I've had quite a few earlies this year with joint-ill. Together with more pasteurella than normal, I suspect the vaccines haven't 'taken' as well as normal, maybe due to compromised livers at the time of jagging?

Surely the prevention is using copious amounts of straw bedding?Eh FT.

There are several strains ,and only one vaccine for eresyipilas infection as far as I am aware.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

got some noroclav and they have had couple of jags and are alot better and out in field now.our sheds are well bedded,individual pens powder disinfected and fresh straw every new sheep in them and lambs sprayed with straight iodine straight after birth.still get few each year with it though.although the blackies lambs that are born outside get no iodine or interferance and never had joint ill from them.

"But these blanket uses of ab's are what they are trying to move people away from. It's considered a factor in the problem of ab resistance."
    "Point taken, but after a big infection a few years back and the time wasted, drugs used and losses at the end, I'll stick with the blanket treatment till my vet tells me different."

I suspect that if you asked your vet, he would say to stop the blanket treatment. We are fast heading to a situation where we are going to get a public disease outbreak (TB?) and no arsenal of drugs to treat it. It'll be like the dark ages all over again.