Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #/@*!!,~<%^# Bikers!

#/@*!!,~<%^# Bikers!

Leading corn, return trip to field.......last bit was half a mile down dead straight A class road, gate entrance about 100 yards before blind brow. (Right hand turn)
    Motor bike followed by car catching me up, so well before the gateway Right hand flasher on, check mirrors. Biker gets closer.
    Biker then disappears into blind spot.....(if you can't see my mirrors etc).
    He is now about 2 or 3 yards from my flashing indicator, brake lights are on, starting to slow for right turn.
    Now I knew he was there and was watching carefully.....as well as checking for on coming traffic......what did the $*#}\\~>! do????
    Just as I was starting the right turn, popped out and overtook!
    As luck had it, he got away with it.
    But for me seeing him and his pillion (now brown underpanter ) they would have been mincemeat.
    What chance would I have had with M'lud?? Other than the following car driver being prepared to leap to my defence?

gee

Re: #/@*!!,~<%^# Bikers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Leading corn, return trip to field.......last bit was half a mile down dead straight A class road, gate entrance about 100 yards before blind brow. (Right hand turn)
    Motor bike followed by car catching me up, so well before the gateway Right hand flasher on, check mirrors. Biker gets closer.
    Biker then disappears into blind spot.....(if you can't see my mirrors etc).
    He is now about 2 or 3 yards from my flashing indicator, brake lights are on, starting to slow for right turn.
    Now I knew he was there and was watching carefully.....as well as checking for on coming traffic......what did the $*#}\\~>! do????
    Just as I was starting the right turn, popped out and overtook!
    As luck had it, he got away with it.
    But for me seeing him and his pillion (now brown underpanter ) they would have been mincemeat.
    What chance would I have had with M'lud?? Other than the following car driver being prepared to leap to my defence?

gee
    More chance than he'd have had in a fight with a tractor and trailer, that's for sure!

Fairly sure you'd be fine in the circumstances as you were displaying signals etc, you can bet your trailer lighting would've been looked at fairly carefully though and rightly so as farm vehicle lighting doesn't have the best reputation. Beyond that I guess the effects on you would've been far greater at a personal level as well as the families of those involved.

Bearing in mind that 6 bikers are killed and nearly 100 injured on the roads every week you'd think the message would be beginning to get through to them by now no matter where they are riding, I guess the country roads are only there for their enjoyment though so probably far safer than the towns and stuff
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

You should have been alright but I'm not so sure remember there was two of them and one of you after they had finished lying...........it appears you practically tried to run them down

Truth is of course as you say but remember in an RTA despite what anyone says afterwards they may later lie to suit there insurance company or get out of jail.

I was on a roundabout just about to leave it then a taxi shot onto the roundabout crashing into my car he was all "sorry mate didn't see you" ..............I've just closed the claim as its his word against mine and he or his boss has twisted entirely what happened, best I was offered was 50-50 payment, I was buggered if I was paying him half his repairs for running into me

Best advice on on another thread came from defender is we should all consider a dash cam or something similar, but I'm wanting one that does front and rear.

Couldn't agree more, Gee. Those naff signs 'Think Bike' should be turned around to 'Bikers - Think'.

Not as bad as your experience, but yesterday I was coming home on a Cornish A road (they're different from up country A roads, as narrow, windy and with hills ) in a line of traffic probably a mile long, all doing + / - 50mph.
    One big bike passed safely, weaving in and out, but his mate decided to chance it, up hill, against a solid white line. He was met by a red car coming over the brow of the hill from the other way, and how on earth that driver stopped / slowed enough to squeeze him in, I don't know.

About four years ago, my mates father was carting corn. He was going along a clear main road with about 5 cars and a motorbike behind him and he started to indicate as he was going to turn right. He slowed for the turning, checked everything was clear and then started to make his turn.
    An 18 year old lad on the motorbike decided to pop out from behind all the cars and overtake the lot.
    He smashed straight into the trailer, killing himself.

The drivers of the cars all came forward as witnesses to say that the tractor indicated clearly, maneuvered correctly and did everything that it should.
    The Police were satisfied that no criminal proceedings were needed, the witnesses all vindicated the tractor driver and even the family of the dead motorcyclist said the tractor driver shouldn't feel any blame or guilt.

Four years down the line, try telling my mates dad that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Muck View Post

Four years down the line, try telling my mates dad that.
    That's the thing isn't it.
    All very well folk claiming their right to live and die how they please, seems they have no thoughts whatsoever for the ones left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Couldn't agree more, Gee. Those naff signs 'Think Bike' should be turned around to 'Bikers - Think'.

Not as bad as your experience, but yesterday I was coming home on a Cornish A road (they're different from up country A roads, as narrow, windy and with hills ) in a line of traffic probably a mile long, all doing + / - 50mph.
    One big bike passed safely, weaving in and out, but his mate decided to chance it, up hill, against a solid white line. He was met by a red car coming over the brow of the hill from the other way, and how on earth that driver stopped / slowed enough to squeeze him in, I don't know.

Signs round here say "watch for bikes in your blind spot" I'd say wtf they doing sat in it the muppets its asking for trouble!!

Oh happy days .........................

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    Oh happy days .........................

Yep, Happy Days........
    ON A TRACK!!!!

Years ago I had a car under the side of the tractor. Long straight watching car coming up fast, indicator flashing, I took up position towards the middle of the road, watching the car in my mirror it headed for the nearside kerb. Me thinks that he is going to cut up the inside as I turn, wrong. Police said that both parties have a duty to make sure that it is safe to make their manoeuvre. The only thing that saved me was a bus driver a fair bit back that witnessed the whole thing and said that I had done everything possible.

The problem is that other drivers don't realise tractors are magic, they can turn into fields at any time Seriously though they are not used to vehicles turning when there is no road junction.

[QUOTE=Gee;243190]Yep, Happy Days........
    ON A TRACK!!!![/QUOTE]

Used to do 000s of miles on the roads too and seen plenty of dicks in cars (sometime literally ).

I have always been of the opinion that everyone should ride a bike on the roads at least once to get a perspective of road positioning, use of speed & vulnerability. Makes for a more aware driver all round.

Unfortunately bikes attract middle aged men (who can afford the insurance) with a surfeit of testosterone who think they can handle a machine capable of accelerating from 0-60 in under 3 seconds & on to in excess of 180mph. Most can't.
    However, with a bike it is possible to make safe overtakes where a car cannot but that doesn't excuse general dickery

As a biker, I resent the generalisations. There are undoubtedly organ donors out there but they won't learn, as it will be too late for them.
    There are regularly cases of four wheeled vehicle drivers saying "sorry mate I didn't see you" (S.M.I.D.S.Y) to the two wheeled road users.
    I ride with attitude that I am invisible to all other motorists (despite the dipped headlights) so any 'Accident' that I might be involved in must be my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Deereone View Post
    As a biker, I resent the generalisations. There are undoubtedly organ donors out there but they won't learn, as it will be too late for them.
    There are regularly cases of four wheeled vehicle drivers saying "sorry mate I didn't see you" (S.M.I.D.S.Y) to the two wheeled road users.
    I ride with attitude that I am invisible to all other motorists (despite the dipped headlights) so any 'Accident' that I might be involved in must be my fault.
    More power to you. But it's a shame that a sizeable proportion of bikers ride like they're tired of living

I would refer to an accident not far from here in May, but his widow and young son have a farming connection.

I have recently moved to the Yorkshire Dales, and here about 95% of bikes are doing way above the speed limit, overtaking on solid lines, accelerating and braking very hard and cornering on the wrong side of the road. That of course is not to say you do, but they do do it.

Also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28861828

There is a quote in there: "I was in full control until i hit the fence. I drove into the fence to avoid a collision"

[QUOTE=Bald Rick;243230]
    Yep, Happy Days........
    ON A TRACK!!!![/QUOTE]

However, with a bike it is possible to make safe overtakes where a car cannot
    Not after deliberately going into the blind spot of a driver in front of you and then totally ignoring the traffic signals that are being given.
    gee

In the same way, everyone should be made to drive a bus or HGV so they can get a clear idea of what those drivers can and can't see (and what they have to guess).

We've pretty much all been there. Down here in Devon the lanes are narrow and hedges high. When coming out of a field with a trailer of corn or silage, it's good to have a loader because you can set it up high and stick it out there for a good 10 seconds so that anyone coming can see the loader first and realise there is a tractor behind it. Didn't stop me going up over the bonnet of an Alfa with the front wheels of my 580DT many years ago. Lucky he stopped where he did.

Accidents will happen and if they are true accidents then there is not a lot you can do except be as careful as you can be. Some folk do push the envelope though. Many of them go sooner to the next life. I imagine it's very hard for the survivors.

[QUOTE=Gee;243261]

Not after deliberately going into the blind spot of a driver in front of you and then totally ignoring the traffic signals that are being given.
    gee
    Knobs everywhere. Used to help train riders, amazing number of bellends on the roads on both 2 & 4 wheels

Percentage wise I'd say bikers out way any other road users by miles with bad / dangerouse riding .Theres so many cars on the road if 10% where bad drivers it would still be one hell of a lot !
    Now in my opinion at least 50% of bikers I see in towns and on country roads break traffic laws and put them selves and others in some kind of danger .
    Go over hartside pass up weardale Swale Dale Wensleydale over N.york moors any weekend and you'll see bikers being bikers.
    If your driving along 50-60 mph even a touch more on occasions I'm not a staint , a bike can apear from no wear over take and be gone in no time , happens a lot .
    As we all know if someone is pulling out farm road , privet road , field or turning into one of them ...............
    I didn't see him co he was going so f@@king fast

&
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    Percentage wise I'd say bikers out way any other road users by miles there's so many cars on the road if 10% where bad drivers it would still be one hell of a lot !
    Now in my opinion at least 50% of bikers I see in towns and on country roads break traffic laws and put them selves and others in some kind of danger .
    Go over hartside pass up weardale Swale Dale Wensleydale over N.york moors any weekend and you'll see bikers being bikers
    I think that's the whole point. Pull on a helmet (esp with a dark visor) and you are instantly anonymous. Take it off, & you become that accountant, banker, sales rep or, dare I say it, farmer .........

&

I think that's the whole point. Pull on a helmet (esp with a dark visor) and you are instantly anonymous. Take it off, & you become that accountant, banker, sales rep or, dare I say it, farmer .........
    Helmets are not worn as a disguise, they are a legal requirement.

Tractors are subject to different speed limits to cars. Perhaps it is time to increase the legal limit for motorcycles so that they don't break the law when overtaking cars ( which tend to clog up our roads).

Perhaps it is time to increase the legal limit for motorcycles so that they don't break the law when overtaking cars ( which tend to clog up our roads).
    They only break those limits .

Try googling this.....
    motorcyclist killed tractor

Try googling this.....
    motorcyclist killed tractor
    What is your point Gee? Presumably you realise that this article refers to an articulated lorry and not an agricultural set up?
    We are all well aware that motorcyclists are very vulnerable.

Helmets are not worn as a disguise, they are a legal requirement.

Tractors are subject to different speed limits to cars. Perhaps it is time to increase the legal limit for motorcycles so that they don't break the law when overtaking cars ( which tend to clog up our roads).
    Not if you're a Sikh. Famous case in the 70s set a precedent

Dark visors are illegal (or actually visor resisting 30% of natural light so lightly smoked are ok as is wearing sunglasses underneath a clear one - mad) ...... count the number of bikers at any meeting point with a dark visor.
    In any case, my point about anonymity (as opposed to a disguise) stands. Pull on a helmet & you can be anyone hence the reason why Willy & Harry like bikes (& Beckham). And why they are popular in ram raids etc

What is your point Gee? Presumably you realise that this article refers to an articulated lorry and not an agricultural set up?
    We are all well aware that motorcyclists are very vulnerable.
    Did you only get one result?

Did you only get one result?
    So you were making another generalisation?

So you were making another generalisation?
    Nope......the google results shocked me!
    Page upon page of deaths of Motor cyclists involved in RTA's with in the majority Agri Tractors.

Nope......the google results shocked me!
    Page upon page of deaths of Motor cyclists involved in RTA's with in the majority Agri Tractors.
    I googled it and the results shocked me too.
    I was surprised just how many there were involving tractors, usually resulted in a dead biker too.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    I googled it and the results shocked me too.
    I was surprised just how many there were involving tractors, usually resulted in a dead biker too.
    Yep.......read my first post!!!!!

One thing that occurs to me is that the flashing beacon is often on the OS (it is on my new MF from the factory and I know it was on the one I almost hit!!). Maybe this is due to an oversight from continental builds, but I know (from personal experience) that sometimes it is very difficult to be aware that an indicator has been turned on for a right turn when the orange beacon is flashing away in close proximity. If the beacon were on the NS and the confusion arises then less harm can be done (in theory) as the carriageway is not being crossed. Maybe UK spec tractors should be made to have the beacon on the NS to avoid the problem???

Just a thought