Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #/@*!!,~<%^# Bikers!

Re: #/@*!!,~<%^# Bikers!

Unfortunately a lot of bikers seem to think that because they have a powerful,flashy bike they are invincible,they will never become a statistic because it won't happen to them and so they ride the bike like the proverbial bat out of hell, then when the inevitable happens someone else is left to pick up the pieces

Quote Originally Posted by cmjl View Post
    Unfortunately a lot of bikers seem to think that because they have a powerful,flashy bike they are invincible,they will never become a statistic because it won't happen to them and so they ride the bike like the proverbial bat out of hell, then when the inevitable happens someone else is left to pick up the pieces
    Yes and no. Bikes are quicker to accelerate, quicker to brake, and require smaller gaps to fit through than a car. Car drivers can sometimes fail to appreciate this and think we're being reckless when we are actually operating well within the abilities of the machine and ourselves.

Also, if you went out thinking you were going to get taken out by a tractor or car you would never ride. Its about taking an acceptable amount of risk, and riding in a way which reduces that to something reasonable. Again, bikers by their very nature have a different attitude to risk than people who dont ride.

But..... but.... when you get a nice twisty back road, the sun is out, the tyres are warm, you and the bike are feeling good...... Well, there's very little on earth which feels as exhilarating. The bike becomes an extension of you and its incredibly freeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Condi View Post
    Yes and no. Bikes are quicker to accelerate, quicker to brake, and require smaller gaps to fit through than a car. Car drivers can sometimes fail to appreciate this and think we're being reckless when we are actually operating well within the abilities of the machine and ourselves.

Also, if you went out thinking you were going to get taken out by a tractor or car you would never ride. Its about taking an acceptable amount of risk, and riding in a way which reduces that to something reasonable. Again, bikers by their very nature have a different attitude to risk than people who dont ride.

But..... but.... when you get a nice twisty back road, the sun is out, the tyres are warm, you and the bike are feeling good...... Well, there's very little on earth which feels as exhilarating. The bike becomes an extension of you and its incredibly freeing.
    Unlike a six foot long wooden box under six feet of Mother Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Condi View Post

You mean a road like this!!!

DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00343.JPG

DSC01116.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really love bikes and think they are amazing machines but there is no way on earth my family would ever let me have one again.

As I have said time and time again I truly believe the average UK road is now too dangerous to ride the things. The standard of driving on our roads is generally abysmal, people don't indicate, they aren't aware of other road users and everyone is fixated on their speedos to the point that everything else is secondary. Throw in push bikers as well and it's a sheer wonder we don't have more carnage on the roads.

Bikers as a rule don't strike me as being that mad, if you can understand the machines and their capabilities then actually they are as someone else mentioned, operating safely although it might look risky to an average road user. Bikers are generally good road users because they have to read the road constantly. Not so in a van or car. I can drive on drain lids or white lines or with the tyres kissing the kerb in a car with generally no result. Not so on a bike, blundering along can have you off very readily.

Everyone is quick to bitch about someone else's driving but in reality everyone makes mistakes. All you can do is go careful and keep within the law. For agricultural vehicles we all know here that they behave and manoeuvre differently on the road due to their size and shape but average Joe doesn't know that and we all know you can't see toffee in your mirrors with anything on the back.

Of course the immediate problem is that the driver of the larger vehicle in collision with a cyclist or biker is always automatically assumed to be at fault. In an agricultural context having operational wipers, washers, lights and indicators could be your only defence when the law becomes involved.

I don't believe the bravado about risk either. I bet more bikers are killed by almost stupid, nonsensical accidents, a split second mistake probably by another party, than are killed when a 150mph wheelie goes wrong. The point is, that kind of risk you have utterly no control over. You could be a very experienced biker, or been on the road 5 minutes and you will be equally dead when that idiot in the Micra pulls out in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post

I don't believe the bravado about risk either. I bet more bikers are killed by almost stupid, nonsensical accidents, a split second mistake probably by another party, than are killed when a 150mph wheelie goes wrong. .
    Actually the vast majority are killed by their own actions - usually through a lack of training (passing a 30 minute test is not training) & an understanding of the capabilities of a modern bike never mind a superbike.
    The biggest killer is left handed bends in the UK coupled with target fixation. The gyroscopic effect will naturally pull the machine across to the right whilst the rider will get fixated on an oncoming car or wall.

One of the other most common deaths is group riding where the ones at the back are most vulnerable as they are always playing catch up especially if the leader is riding too fast or making overtakes that others cannot follow.

Some children are taken to school in 4X4's with seat belts air bags etc. Their playgrounds are 'cushioned' with rubber matting, they wear hi-viz jackets (when they are allowed to walk anywhere) etc. etc. When they leave school and start work; there are a raft of health and safety hoops to dive through. Is it any wonder that a few of us appreciate the relative freedom of riding a motorbike? Sadly (as in all walks of life) there are always going to be a few who give the rest a bad name.

Please let's have a bit more tolerance, each to his own. Stop your #/@*!!,~<%^# griping.

Problem with alot of biker's is their thick and won't learn

then when they do get knocked the fuck off its the other persons fault for not seeing them ( and how should they, they're there within a blink of an eye)

i don't do barely any road riding anymore as cba with the police everywhere, the road surface and other tits on bikes trying to show off, luckily enough my local bike night is only about 5 miles away so less chance of getting caught out, they've changed the licence laws, its a bummer but might save someones life.

This thread keeps referring to "accidents"
    "An accident or a mishap is an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance"

I would contend that the majority of incidents mentioned are not accidents but RTCs - Road Traffic Collisions. If someone overtakes on a blind summit or while a vehicle is indicating to turn right I do not think the results could be termed unforeseen.

Foot in both camps here.

I pedal to work and people not looking, squeezing between me and a traffic island, over taking me to turn left at the round about I'm trying to go straight on at and overtaking me when I am clearly signalling right are things I have to deal with every time I get on my bike.

I also ride a sportyish 600cc bike and am acutely aware that I have more bike than skill, but I am a competent road user. Nearly every time I take to the road on it someone will try to knock me off. However, on a bike you have no distractions and you can feel everything that goes on under your wheels, you can smell things and hear things you can't in a car/van/tractor/lorry. I am also acutely aware that in any physical battle betwixt vehicles I will loose and ride accordingly. On bikes you develop "spidey senses" which get to tingling when you see another road user acting oddly.

Riding a bike make you a little more aware of what to expect from bikes. I expect to be overtaken in what to others seem suicidal conditions, but on a bike is a perfectly safe overtake.

Most farmers drive, big, fat slow, 4x4's that would struggle to overtake a fat dog, so have no concept of the time it takes even my 600 to nip past. Also remember that bikes are hugely impractical as transport, so the people that ride them have chosen to get cold and wet, or hot and sweaty and have no means of carrying much more than a wallet. Where as cars are used by all and sundry and SUV's in particular often get driven for "safety" when the driver is too shit scared to driven anything that isn't double the size of what their feeble driving skill lead them to crash into.
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Predial View Post

Most farmers drive, big, fat slow, 4x4's that would struggle to overtake a fat dog, so have no concept of the time it takes even my 600 to nip past. Also remember that bikes are hugely impractical as transport, so the people that ride them have chosen to get cold and wet, or hot and sweaty and have no means of carrying much more than a wallet. Where as cars are used by all and sundry and SUV's in particular often get driven for "safety" when the driver is too shit scared to driven anything that isn't double the size of what their feeble driving skill lead them to crash into.
    Comments like this just fuel the anit bikers it's so arrogant to make assumeshions like this !

Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    Comments like this just fuel the anit bikers it's so arrogant to make assumeshions like this !

Try removing the dirt from your own eye (or using a spellchecker) before criticising others.

Would sir care to expand on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Deereone View Post
    Try removing the dirt from your own eye (or using a spellchecker) before criticising others.
    To try and be witty and clever about spelling on a forum is pretty sad if it's the best you can come up with then you should pack in using them !
    Some of us who from time to time may spell words incorrectly this on my behalf is due to dyslexia (which by the way is a c@@t of a word to spell ) now as your perfect this may not affect you .
    You seam bright enough to understand what I was getting at so there is hope for you .

Would sir care to expand on this?
    You assumes all svu drives are the same and farmers have no concept of how quick a motor bike can accelerate !
    It's arrogant to assume this ! If you don't understand this I can't and maybe not bright enough to explain it and expand on it

You assumes all svu drives are the same and farmers have no concept of how quick a motor bike can accelerate !
    It's arrogant to assume this ! If you don't understand this I can't and maybe not bright enough to explain it and expand on it
    I'm sure you'd never make assumptions about anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    I'm sure you'd never make assumptions about anyone.
    You might be right !

My non-biking take on bike accident(collision) statistics is, from 35 years of virtually accident free driving, and without any serious accidents(collisions) at all.
    And NONE, EVER involving bicycles or motorbikes.
    Is that Bikers absolutly refuse to accept that most other road users do not stand a chance in Hell of anticipating they will be coming round that bend, when they(the car driver) eases out/moves out at a very vision restricted junction, or look in their mirror before slowly turning right.
    Because, it is simply, and not unreasonably, outside their gamut of experience.
    The sheer speed with which a bike can appear to appear "out of nowhere"
    I still shudder occassionally when negeotiating a few bends that I happily went round (and more than once) in an underpowered car, in my late teens/early twenties MUCH TOO FAST.
    Now factor in a powerful bike and a young mans testerone.
    I would, possibly/probably? now be dead.
    Stick to tracks for kicks.
    And I CAN understand the visceral appeal.
    Marcus

To try and be witty and clever about spelling on a forum is pretty sad if it's the best you can come up with then you should pack in using them !
    Some of us who from time to time may spell words incorrectly this on my behalf is due to dyslexia (which by the way is a c@@t of a word to spell ) now as your perfect this may not affect you .
    You seam bright enough to understand what I was getting at so there is hope for you .

Perhaps you could ask someone to read this to you:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnist...ither-is-adhd/

More wit ! I'll pass on what ever the link is I can read and right by the way just don't always get the words in the right order .
    Thanks

I agree with the entire article, cept the bit about Dyslexia.
    Cos I got it, slightly, mixing up vowels in words, I know the word is incorrectly spelled, but I am bemused/perplexed/frustrated as to how it SHOULD be spelt/spelled.(Oddly, I would have made a good proofreader as I can spot spelling mistakes in text, my own or others, very readily, and quite annoyingly, some do say)
    Ah kin however fair do sums in my heid though, so der be some brain cells at work.
    cheers
    Narkus
    PS
    Oldoaktree.
    It REALLY is worth a read.

I suggest you read this and you may educate yourself then you may become a full wit instead if just a half wit
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Dyslexia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

My opinion of SUV's and their drivers will drag this off topic.

Unless you have ridden one (and I can hardly scratch the surface of what mine can really do) you have no idea of how quick they are, and keep in mind that the litre sports bikes are not only lighter than mine but have 75% and more power. This super car performance.

My spelling is very poor, but a little squiggly line under miss-spelt words helps, you can also type words into Google now and get the spelling. Us poor spellers don't really have much excuse now.

I have never understood why anyone would bother being a spelling or grammar nazi on a forum. Cripes I type a lot of posts on an iphone so I have no clue what language I might end up typing in once you throw in some autocorrect. Most of the time I can read a post no matter how it is written, what I always struggled with were the 'abacus' monologues which despite reading several times left you feeling none the wiser.

An emotive topic concerning the OP and thread at large, with some justifiably strong views.

My spelling is very poor, but a little squiggly line under miss-spelt words helps, you can also type words into Google now and get the spelling. Us poor spellers don't really have much excuse now.
    There's a difference between poor spelling and unable to spell certain words .
    I'm not sure why I have to defended myself here but as you type words yes spell check corrects words and then in on an iphone if it doesn't look right you can highlight the word and yes it gives you a choice of words or in many occasions it say no replacements found !! Now if you have time to type into google every time you wright then good luck to you .
    I was bullied by small mined teachers at school for my poor spelling I won't be bullied by small mined people here
    If you have any problem with this pm me and I will tell you what I'd do to you face to face with these words !

There's a difference between poor spelling and unable to spell certain words .
    I'm not sure why I have to defended myself here but as you type words yes spell check corrects words and then in on an iphone if it doesn't look right you can highlight the word and yes it gives you a choice of words or in many occasions it say no replacements found !! Now if you have time to type into google every time you wright then good luck to you .
    I was bullied by small mined teachers at school for my poor spelling I won't be bullied by small mined people here
    If you have any problem with this pm me and I will tell you what I'd do to you face to face with these words !
    It's the English language being a mongrel & borrowing from anywhere & everywhere.
    To my mind, spelling is pretty irrelevant so long as the meaning is clear.

BTW, how's the LR Sport going?

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    I have never understood why anyone would bother being a spelling or grammar nazi on a forum. Cripes I type a lot of posts on an iphone so I have no clue what language I might end up typing in once you throw in some autocorrect. Most of the time I can read a post no matter how it is written, what I always struggled with were the 'abacus' monologues which despite reading several times left you feeling none the wiser.

An emotive topic concerning the OP and thread at large, with some justifiably strong views.
    Just as one or two bad bikers give the rest of the biking fraternity a bad name; semi literate posts on a forum can reflect on the whole forum.

If posters want to criticise other posters they must be open to being criticised themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    It's the English language being a mongrel & borrowing from anywhere & everywhere.
    To my mind, spelling is pretty irrelevant so long as the meaning is clear.

BTW, how's the LR Sport going?
    The RR sport is going great thanks

Just as one or two bad bikers give the rest of the biking fraternity a bad name; semi literate posts on a forum can reflect on the whole forum.

If posters want to criticise other posters they must be open to being criticised themselves.
    I don't mind been criticised for something I have written but I do take exception for being criticised for how I have written it .

If you Deere boy , can not understand the difference then there's no helping you !