Thread: cow feet colour

cow feet colour

i,ve heard that black footed dairy cattle have better feet/less problems than white feet,is this true

Re: cow feet colour

Our Jerseys all have black feet. We have little foot problems and they get a trim during their dry period (the exception would be any lameness outside of this) and they spend 90% of their time on concrete ........... so YES I would say to your question

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    i,ve heard that black footed dairy cattle have better feet/less problems than white feet,is this true
    Definitely!!

Our jersey crosses get a lot less feet trouble compared to our other breeds apart from danish reds which also have black hooves. They seem to get less dermatitis as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    This has often been quoted in the horse world as well. There it has been proven to be unfounded, white feet are just as strong. Breed and management play the major roles in hoof strength.

Most of "our" sheep have very black feet,,
    if they don't have bad feet they are thinking about having them or getting over them, or they are lied up side down thinking about how sore their feet are before they expire,,, usually just after you have given them an injection for said bad foot,,,

or perhaps I'm a bit biased,,,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Is it the fact that they have black pigment, or is it that the black pigment might just tend to accompany other traits which affect the incidence of lameness?

E.g. do those with black feet also tend to be crossbreds? If so, do they generally have a touch less yield potential than pure Holsteins? Are they lighter? and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by DairyFarmer111 View Post
    Is it the fact that they have black pigment, or is it that the black pigment might just tend to accompany other traits which affect the incidence of lameness?

E.g. do those with black feet also tend to be crossbreds? If so, do they generally have a touch less yield potential than pure Holsteins? Are they lighter? and so on...
    yes correct they are ayrshire holstien cross,less yeild ??? i,ve been told not on first cross, size. i,ll let you know in 9 months,first heifer with bull

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    if they don't have bad feet they are thinking about having them or getting over them, or they are lied up side down thinking about how sore their feet are before they expire,,, usually just after you have given them an injection for said bad foot,,,

I thought that was the whole ambition of a sheep from the moment it's born!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post

That's cheered up my morning, I'm not a sheep fan unless roasted on the plate in front of me, but this sounds exactly what my neighbour says about sheep, he reckons sheep have two ambitions, 1)to escape in the stupidest way possible 2)Die and if they can both together they are destined to eat in the lush green pastures of sheep heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    This has often been quoted in the horse world as well. There it has been proven to be unfounded, white feet are just as strong. Breed and management play the major roles in hoof strength.
    I have heard this too re. hoof colour and horn strength in horses. However light coloured hooves often go with white markings over pink skin and this is definitely less weatherproof, especially where it is a bit bald, e.g. on the muzzle or behind the fetlock. I had a fine coated, part Arab horse with three dark legs / dark feet and one white foot / white leg. Her white foot was prone to skin infections just above the hoof where the skin folds; fungal infections in winter, sun burn in summer. Infection entering here could get into the hoof and cause an abscess. She never had a problem with the dark legs. This was indeed a management problem, but multiply that by several hundred, as in a dairy herd and it would obviously become a financial problem as well.

Quote Originally Posted by miketm150 View Post
    That's cheered up my morning, I'm not a sheep fan unless roasted on the plate in front of me, but this sounds exactly what my neighbour says about sheep, he reckons sheep have two ambitions, 1)to escape in the stupidest way possible 2)Die and if they can both together they are destined to eat in the lush green pastures of sheep heaven!
    Yeah they would escape,,, but usually their feet are so bad they can't be bothered,,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Black hooves in sheep are regarded as far preferable to white/light-coloured hooves. As an example, I would expect white hooves on a Texel tup to be softer and more prone to overgrowing or shelling? Is that why Texel tups should have a blackish nose and black teardrops? Does that assume it will also have black hooves?

I had a black Tb mare,the first year I owned her her black feet crumbled and she was lame on and off,the following year (a horses hoof takes a year to grow out)her feet were rock hard and she never suffered from lameness again,my last horse had three white feet and was never shod and had lovely feet. Incorrect feeding affects the feet and if you breed from stock with badly formed feet the chances are they will pass the problem on which means that they are forever needing time spent on them-and time = money

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    Black hooves in sheep are regarded as far preferable to white/light-coloured hooves. As an example, I would expect white hooves on a Texel tup to be softer and more prone to overgrowing or shelling? Is that why Texel tups should have a blackish nose and black teardrops? Does that assume it will also have black hooves?
    +1 White hoofed texels have very soft feet. I always look for one's with black feet.