Thread: Cloning Mechanical HDD to new SSD

Cloning Mechanical HDD to new SSD

I've got a 1TB WD black HDD with about 600gb of data on it, mostly games etc. I've just bought a nice spanking Samsung evo 1TB drive and I want to move the data across.

Whats the best way to do this??

Re: Cloning Mechanical HDD to new SSD

Clonezilla?

Would it not be as simple as connecting both to your computer via USB and finding their icons in My Computer or whatever, and dragging and dropping one drive on the other?
    The Duck 2015

I think you'll have trouble cloning a disk from which you are working i.e. a "live" system disk. If you download an Ubuntu ISO file you can burn that to a CD & boot from that. Once in the Ubuntu desktop, you can use the excellent disk utility to clone your HDD to the SSD. I use this process in reverse for system backups (I have a 60Gb SSD for the OS & software with all data being stored on the I Tb internal HDD)
    Once cloned, reboot & enter the BIOS to select the SSD as your first boot device, then it's "chocks away Miss Prendergast!"

Thanks for the advice guys.

Asked my colleague at work who manages the IT side. Apparently you can't clone a drive under windows as windows will be 'using it', unfortunately Samsung magician will only work when the source drive is the one with the OS on, so in this instance it won't work.

He has given me a piece of software which you boot from and it allows you to clone the drive in a UEFI type interface. Simply install the drive, clone the one I want, remove the old drive, patch the new drive into the same SATA port, boot into windows and windows won't know that E drive has had a facelift, hence saving any need to bugger around telling steam where its content now lives etc.

Have been researching the subject of SSD drives lately and some hardcore testing has been done on consumer drives. In one test a wide range of drives were given maximum read and write workloads for several weeks and even after 300TB of work, all the drives tested showed far less than 10% deterioration, so, given the average workload the home user will give it in its lifetime, its likely to be a non-issue. Of course general drive failures will still be total and catastrophic but none of my data is that precious, photos and stuff I burn to CDs/DVDs which are pennies and nearly indestructible.

Apparently clonezilla et al are all similar in operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Asked my colleague at work who manages the IT side. Apparently you can't clone a drive under windows as windows will be 'using it', unfortunately Samsung magician will only work when the source drive is the one with the OS on, so in this instance it won't work.

He has given me a piece of software which you boot from and it allows you to clone the drive in a UEFI type interface. Simply install the drive, clone the one I want, remove the old drive, patch the new drive into the same SATA port, boot into windows and windows won't know that E drive has had a facelift, hence saving any need to bugger around telling steam where its content now lives etc.

Have been researching the subject of SSD drives lately and some hardcore testing has been done on consumer drives. In one test a wide range of drives were given maximum read and write workloads for several weeks and even after 300TB of work, all the drives tested showed far less than 10% deterioration, so, given the average workload the home user will give it in its lifetime, its likely to be a non-issue. Of course general drive failures will still be total and catastrophic but none of my data is that precious, photos and stuff I burn to CDs/DVDs which are pennies and nearly indestructible.

Apparently clonezilla et al are all similar in operation.
    Clonezilla boots from a drive and runs under it's own power, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by v12cat View Post
    Clonezilla boots from a drive and runs under it's own power, so to speak.
    Thanks, apparently that is the best way to clone a drive or partition, it is very fast and straight forward.

Thanks, apparently that is the best way to clone a drive or partition, it is very fast and straight forward.
    I used it on my daughters laptop to put her windows partition onto a much larger drive. She now has it dual booting with Linux Mint. I don't remember the intricacies of it, but it worked!

Used Clonzilla last night. Worked a treat.

Used Clonzilla last night. Worked a treat.
    ISTR it being reasonably painless. So much so, I can't remember what I did!