Thread: direct drilling grass seed questions

direct drilling grass seed questions

going to put a few acres in tomorrow with a vredo drill
    mix is barrenbrug protein going into silaged ground

slugs not normally a problem here ,should i pellet as a precaution?
    what about a dose of dursban??

Re: direct drilling grass seed questions

Pull up the turf and look. There is no such thing as 'slugs not normally a problem here'- don't get into that mindset. Look and walk and check.

I would definitely recommend you dursban the grass at some point if you are attempting to reseed it. All grassland beyond a few years in age could hold serious leatherjacket numbers. You will tend to see new leys coming up perfectly and assume they are fine, then it is in the spring when the little sods get moving again that the damage hits- I've seen them obliterate spring barley after grass before.

Look after your new leys and they will live longer and work harder for you, improving the soil structure and benefiting the following crop when it comes around.

Far more money can be made from grass than from cereals or other combinable crops, on 90% of the farms in my area it is the most important crop by miles. Help it to work hard for you and it will repay you many times over.

Much of the thrill of what I do is seeing land gradually improve over time, sorting pH, sorting phosphate, sorting potash, cleaning out the docks, reseeding, maize, corn and so on. Attention to detail and looking at the whole system to see how to best fit it to your needs- I have now got people who are growing specific leys to fit their nutritional requirements and work with other pieces of their rations. Grass isn't something any numpty can sell as an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Pull up the turf and look. There is no such thing as 'slugs not normally a problem here'- don't get into that mindset. Look and walk and check.

I would definitely recommend you dursban the grass at some point if you are attempting to reseed it. All grassland beyond a few years in age could hold serious leatherjacket numbers. You will tend to see new leys coming up perfectly and assume they are fine, then it is in the spring when the little sods get moving again that the damage hits- I've seen them obliterate spring barley after grass before.

Look after your new leys and they will live longer and work harder for you, improving the soil structure and benefiting the following crop when it comes around.

Far more money can be made from grass than from cereals or other combinable crops, on 90% of the farms in my area it is the most important crop by miles. Help it to work hard for you and it will repay you many times over.

Much of the thrill of what I do is seeing land gradually improve over time, sorting pH, sorting phosphate, sorting potash, cleaning out the docks, reseeding, maize, corn and so on. Attention to detail and looking at the whole system to see how to best fit it to your needs- I have now got people who are growing specific leys to fit their nutritional requirements and work with other pieces of their rations. Grass isn't something any numpty can sell as an afterthought.
    last year i put down 8slug traps and only got 2 slugs over a 3 week period

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    last year i put down 8slug traps and only got 2 slugs over a 3 week period
    Seed, warm soil and moisture are not to be wasted. Put half rate pellets down the spout with the seed. A direct drilled row of grass seedlings is the nearest thing a slug gets to a fast food motorway !!
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    Seed, warm soil and moisture are not to be wasted. Put half rate pellets down the spout with the seed. A direct drilled row of grass seedlings is the nearest thing a slug gets to a fast food motorway !!
    Some would suggest that putting pellets (& their attractant) in the slot with the seed, is like sending an invite to that fast food restaurant. I prefer to spread on top afterwards, but each to their own.

Agree that seed, & the job of getting it there, costs too much to take chances with slugs, or leatherjackets & frit fly come to that.

I am not keen on drilling the seed with pellets in either, encouraging slugs down below the soil surface makes it harder to see them and also what effect your pellets have had or if they are still there or are being eaten.

I am hoping low quality cheap-skate pellets are banned before long as they are encouraging irresponsible use and release their active ingredient in the first shower of rain.