Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    51

    Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    Surprised nobody has mentioned the phone in at 12.30 yesterday on Jeremy Vine. For those who missed it basically he was telling the plight of the sheep farmers and the effects the current weather is having on new born lambs, followed by asking for listeners comments. Amazingly, some of the stick that was then coming on against farmers blaming them for being greedy and having sheep in the first place, etc, etc, was unbelievable. Even Jeremy was surprised at the reaction. Eventually a number of callers came on supporting the farmers and having a go at the antis.

    But it got me thinking. Generally speaking, farming is getting more coverage now in the media than say even just 2 or 3 years ago, and mostly it is good coverage. But do we as farmers need to promote ourselves more or is that what the NFU and the like needs to be doing?

    On another thread there is talk of rents and one opinion put forward is that the sfp should be used to help purchase and run another farm. But surely this is against the purpose of the sfp. If joe Public thinks that farmers are getting huge handouts that they are using to go and expand their business into huge mega - farms, then no wonder they are against us. I always thought the sfp was to subsidise a business, to help it along as such, or have I got it all wrong?

  2. #2
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    I've seen this reaction crop up here and there too, with a favourite being "They'll kill them in the Autumn anyway" ranging through "The Barons stole the land to keep sheep so serves them right"
    I think it is coming from lefty veggy shool teachers.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    611

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    Seen this on a horsey forum, but thankfully there are also some farmers posting so there was finally a balance. I think it is essential to give an unemotional and reasoned reply to these posts in spite of the urge to do otherwise as that is the only way the public will become educated.

    And, no, it is not all coming from lefty veggie school teachers but a lot from the young who know no better. Joe Public junior is not stupid either -- give him an opportunity to learn from our knowledge and experience and he will. Did you believe everything your teachers told you?

  4. #4
    Junior Member Truncator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Little Langdale Cumbria
    Posts
    7

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    It's sad that this reaction happend but go on having roast lamb at the weekend with no thought whats so ever of where it's come from or what is involved and getting the lamb there.

  5. #5
    Senior Member andybk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mendips Somerset
    Posts
    322

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    personally i hope food inflatation hits all concerned , listen to them all moan then , food is far to cosy these days , farmers were held in high esteem after the war because people realised the farms produced the food they ate , now people think it appears on tesco shelves by magic , was having a similar discussion on a weather forum a few days ago , most people have no clue to how things are farmed

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    377

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    Quote Originally Posted by farmer phil View Post
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the phone in at 12.30 yesterday on Jeremy Vine. For those who missed it basically he was telling the plight of the sheep farmers and the effects the current weather is having on new born lambs, followed by asking for listeners comments. Amazingly, some of the stick that was then coming on against farmers blaming them for being greedy and having sheep in the first place, etc, etc, was unbelievable. Even Jeremy was surprised at the reaction. Eventually a number of callers came on supporting the farmers and having a go at the antis.

    But it got me thinking. Generally speaking, farming is getting more coverage now in the media than say even just 2 or 3 years ago, and mostly it is good coverage. But do we as farmers need to promote ourselves more or is that what the NFU and the like needs to be doing?

    On another thread there is talk of rents and one opinion put forward is that the sfp should be used to help purchase and run another farm. But surely this is against the purpose of the sfp. If joe Public thinks that farmers are getting huge handouts that they are using to go and expand their business into huge mega - farms, then no wonder they are against us. I always thought the sfp was to subsidise a business, to help it along as such, or have I got it all wrong?
    It is up to all of us to promote the industry. NFU et. can do things on the bigger scale but it is up to us as individuals to do the same on a smaller scale. I was "lucky" enough to get the chance to address a number of careers advisor's over the last couple of weeks and some school children (7 - 8 year olds). On all of these occasions I started by asking them to think what they had eaten in the last 24 hours, If I mentioned something they had eaten hold their hand up and keep it up. Mentioned beef, pork, bacon, milk, eggs, bread and already 100% had their hands in the air, I then pointed out that farmers were producing all of these things for them.

    On the issue of sfp we all know that what it actually does is allow us as farmers to survive while keeping the housewives weekly food bill artificially low.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Truncator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Little Langdale Cumbria
    Posts
    7

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    It is up to all of us to promote the industry. NFU et. can do things on the bigger scale but it is up to us as individuals to do the same on a smaller scale. I was "lucky" enough to get the chance to address a number of careers advisor's over the last couple of weeks and some school children (7 - 8 year olds). On all of these occasions I started by asking them to think what they had eaten in the last 24 hours, If I mentioned something they had eaten hold their hand up and keep it up. Mentioned beef, pork, bacon, milk, eggs, bread and already 100% had their hands in the air, I then pointed out that farmers were producing all of these things for them.
    That's a great way to get the young on board and perhaps your right we should all do more. We have a scheme where the local schools send kids for a 'day on the farm' they also did last year a day in the life of an 'evacuee' (WW2) and the kids came and did a day on the farm in a 40 style but that only involved them relating it back to WW2 rather than every body wearing plus 4's!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,617

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    Quote Originally Posted by farmer phil View Post
    I always thought the sfp was to subsidise a business, to help it along as such, or have I got it all wrong?
    Wrong wrong wrong. SFP might be construed as a subsidy but who or what for ? The producers or cheaper food for the masses ? (and partially nowadays to cosy up to the greenies with environmental inducements)

  9. #9
    Senior Member bottg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cotswolds
    Posts
    147

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    Just listening to it on iplayer now.... I can't believe how stupid some people can be? Very annoyed so off to check my lambing,.... Incredibly lucky to be lambing inside with little snow here

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    17

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    On the issue of sfp we all know that what it actually does is allow us as farmers to survive while keeping the housewives weekly food bill artificially low.

    I don't think the general public realise its to subsidise their cheap food.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Nithsdale Farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Dumfries-shire
    Posts
    470

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    Quote Originally Posted by superspec View Post
    I don't think the general public realise its to subsidise their cheap food.

    I dont think it is anymore........ food is getting expensive IMO. The SFP subsidises feed, fert and machinery companies/suppliers, as our incomes have risen with the increase in out profits, they have charged more and more - pinning back our income.
    If in doubt, yank it out!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    176

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    not 100% sure on the farming /WW2 thing there andy .. i think it was a time alot of towns folk forsed in to the countryside so a higher contact with farmers also on the battlefield alot of rural guys there , same deal here alot of town girls in to the land army young farmers sent over seas

    the govtment of the time doing a lot of support the troops be it growing food or building planes

    the chance of something happening again big eneff to forse town and country together i can't realy see happening there is a gap getting wider go back 1 or 2 gens most had a family member on a farm now there would be a % with no links ..

    we get the same here there was a sheep called sherk he got shoren by blades then an outfit made him a cover to keep him warm i could not belive they put it on .. instead of saying wool keeps things warm longer cover from blades etc etc few days later all the leters to the ed in the paper winter shearing ,sheep need coats ,some lezbo veggan poet wrote the cold sheep poem etc etc ....
    cattle barns going up on some dairy farms they have to handle that one realy well or it will go down the same path cow's in winter cows in summer shit ponds etc etc

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    178

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    Saw similar banter on the yahoo home page yesterday, an article on their was reporting the winter weathers nightmares, 90% of comments on their was "the farmers had warning why didnt they bring them in to barns", "as usual greedy farmers dont care for their stock, and lambs are only worth pence at that age!!??" blah blah blah.. sure does make your blood boil, especially when most haven't a clue but thats the point and already mentioned, people learn by comments like this and think it so,

    [QUOTE=farmer phil;18802]
    But it got me thinking. Generally speaking, farming is getting more coverage now in the media than say even just 2 or 3 years ago, and mostly it is good coverage. But do we as farmers need to promote ourselves more or is that what the NFU and the like needs to be doing?

    All is good when it is good coverage, i always have been told its better to not shove things in peoples faces as that's when they get a chance to judge, and in this case even with us being in a country with high animal standards etc, to most this still wont seem good enough, however much we explain it. part of me wants the public to know more, but so many have become to soft cock about life, when i was a kid to see a dead rabbit on the side of the road was not to much of a problem, now kids would need counselling!. and we are more than over run by the vegan bunny huggers, that will take every option available to taint anything we do-show with their views. and no matter how you show things at the end the nice lamb-calve-piglet etc will be on a hook its hard to explain to anyone how you can like something/care for it etc if you plan to end its life this way.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orkney
    Posts
    54

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale Farmer View Post
    I dont think it is anymore........ food is getting expensive IMO. The SFP subsidises feed, fert and machinery companies/suppliers, as our incomes have risen with the increase in out profits, they have charged more and more - pinning back our income.
    +1

  15. #15
    Senior Member bottg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cotswolds
    Posts
    147

    Re: Jeremy Vine and sheep farmers

    I can't help but think of Alan Partridge. I know i feed beefburgers to swans and have 6' tall chickens.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •