Thread: Sewards at Sinderby

Sewards at Sinderby

Re: Sewards at Sinderby

Claas look better in black&white.

The dozens of times over the years I've been past that place, I never realised it was a former railway station. Must have been going too fast, or more probably combine spotting.
    It looks as if they've completely rebuilt the Seward building. I wonder why the never moved slightly further away from the A1 while they were on with it.

I've had a bit Google to find out a bit more. Interestingly I've found these;

I didn't know that either, but had noticed 'embankments' on the map the other side of the A1 - also practically vanished now.
    It's a shame they couldn't have kept up the station buildings perhaps as an office or something.
    Russells at Kirkbymoorside was also a station yard and they did just that until the site was sold and a perfectly sound historic building was bulldozed.
    Most of that plot is close packed new houses now.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    The dozens of times over the years I've been past that place, I never realised it was a former railway station. Must have been going too fast, or more probably combine spotting.
    It looks as if they've completely rebuilt the Seward building. I wonder why the never moved slightly further away from the A1 while they were on with it.

Once had the personal tour of the business with Nelson Green at Kirkby Underwood in the late 80's, We pulled up at the engine shed in the village he bought after Beeching's cuts so we could have a look at the beginning of his used crawlers, shovels, loaders et-all lined up, looking at the line we asked how far does it go? "see that church spire in the next village? well thats its end!!" Ideal use of an old stoned hard standing, he had machines lined up both sides too!

Mind you then the whole hardstanding of the nearby airfield was wall to wall machines, not just the old runway as shown here http://goo.gl/maps/Kf5gp

It's a shame they couldn't have kept up the station buildings perhaps as an office or something.
    Yes, agree. Thought it might have been listed, especially when they listed that odd looking garage place further down the A1 at Markham Moor right next to the another Claas dealer's yard. I see it's a Little Chef now, but was built as a filling station.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9719285.stm

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=mar...=12,18.42,,0,0

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    I see it's a Little Chef now
    It's a shut Little Chef now, for last 2 years, possibly just after it got made listed status. Currently the building is "To Let" even though the Little Chef on the opposite side is still open, maybe the landlords on the northbound side wanted less money??