Thread: rolling ploughing

rolling ploughing

Has anyone got any thoughts on rolling ploughing before drilling with barley with combi drill. This is because the drill is heavy and leave tyre tracks even if rolled after. Can anyone help be much appreciated.

Re: rolling ploughing

depends on your soil type and how dry it is. On light land I have gone over ploughing with cambridge rolls before power harrow. I saw someone going over heavy ground with a flat roller a few years back as the ground had really dried out. The result is two fold.....helps consolidate the seedbed but also makes it easier going for the power harrow

We will generally roll ploughing if its gonna be left for more than a coupla days asot soon dries out and only takes a "minute". We lash over it with the Cambridge 6m, will some times do maize ground with a flat to keep the moisture on,
    also the rolling will break down land,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

We used to go over the ploughed ground with a pig tine cultivator, towing a set of cambridge rolls.
    Used to make a great seedbed.

I roll with paddles down all my lighter land then drill with combi drill or the verderstat drill depending on soil conditions it makes it easier to drill ! Prob click it 2 gears with the vardy also .

Front press. No idea why more people don't have them. You need a weight on the front and it makes the outfit better balanced and rides nicer.

We always flat rolled our very sandy arable fields after ploughing, mostly to keep the moisture in. It actually brought it down perfectly flat, but you had to run over it again with a cultivator to get rid of the wheel marks.

Roll the heavy land to stop it drying out to much and setting like concrete the run culti press over it before drilling if needed

Quote Originally Posted by v46 View Post
    Has anyone got any thoughts on rolling ploughing before drilling with barley with combi drill. This is because the drill is heavy and leave tyre tracks even if rolled after. Can anyone help be much appreciated.
    use duals, then no tracks anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    use duals, then no tracks anywhere.
    Use tracks. Then no tracks anywhere.

Can you arable lads help out a humble stockman who doesn't break much ground each year other than for a bit of wholecrop and reseeding?

In quite a lot of fields I get a problem where the boards (mainly just the front board) wont run clean, but build up soil. As I am ploughing with 600s (don't scold please as it suits 95% of my tractor's work!) I need the front board to be working perfectly to make sure the gap is filled. Instead, when it cloggs up it wont throw the fur over properly and I'm off scraping it with the spade at each end. Is it to do with the fact that I am possibly ploughing up out of a heavier hollow onto lighter ground which is then sticking to the clay residue on the board?

Here is a photo of the ground if its any help.

Pic is not that clear !
    Is the board rusty ? Probably not . Have you welded anything to the board that stops the smooth flow of soil over the board ?
    It also looks like the plough wants shifting left in the pic to make the front fur wider

Metal always greased and stored under roof. no welds. i'll have a look at the width.

Quote Originally Posted by DairyFarmer111 View Post
    Can you arable lads help out a humble stockman who doesn't break much ground each year other than for a bit of wholecrop and reseeding?

In quite a lot of fields I get a problem where the boards (mainly just the front board) wont run clean, but build up soil. As I am ploughing with 600s (don't scold please as it suits 95% of my tractor's work!) I need the front board to be working perfectly to make sure the gap is filled. Instead, when it cloggs up it wont throw the fur over properly and I'm off scraping it with the spade at each end. Is it to do with the fact that I am possibly ploughing up out of a heavier hollow onto lighter ground which is then sticking to the clay residue on the board?

As equally humble stockmen, we had years of scrapping the boards with a spade when we lived over there. It took a change of country to sort it! Not a bad sign, though - your picture confirms that it only happens on nice land. No problem here, but on the original topic, have been rolling, paddles down, what I ploughed (with furrow press) yesterday afternoon and I'm on the verge of being too late. When the heavy stuff sees the sun, you don't get much time. Unless things go awry (had to stop and retrieve errant cattle yesterday), it should be drilled and rolled again today.

A slatted board plough is what you want for ground like that, I know you are not just going to rush out and change your plough but it was like night and day after we swapped ours. The only other thing I can think would help would be to wait till it was pissing down with rain and plough then as it seems to slide easier over the board if it is wet.

Is the skimmer on the deep side? - leaving too little soil to clean the board? NB- I don't know what depth your ploughing at.
    Is the front furrow taking the same width of land as the rest?
    Is the plough level back to front?
    Just thinking aloud...

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Dram View Post
    A slatted board plough is what you want for ground like that, I know you are not just going to rush out and change your plough but it was like night and day after we swapped ours. The only other thing I can think would help would be to wait till it was pissing down with rain and plough then as it seems to slide easier over the board if it is wet.
    I agree.
    We have some land where this can be a problem and been running a slatted plough since our first reversible 30+ years ago. Can just remember father getting a demo of the 3 furrow Lemken on his 2wd IH 684 back in the early 80's. Demo plough had normal boards on one side and slatted on the other for comparison which thinking about it was a pretty good idea.

Very good on the heavy stuff too. Breaks it up a nicely as it throws it over.

I always rolled after the plough dualled up, but prefer to pull the press now, agree with moving to slatted boards would fix that too

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Use tracks. Then no tracks anywhere.
    set of tracks= 30,000
    set of duals= 300
    no contest.

set of tracks= 30,000
    set of duals= 300
    no contest.
    Never worth buggering about with. In these situations it probably pays to have a smaller or older tractor which doesn't weight 8 tonnes empty on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Front press. No idea why more people don't have them. You need a weight on the front and it makes the outfit better balanced and rides nicer.
    Front press fine When drilling with combi right behind plough when weather turns . But they are a bit numb !
    In a so far dry year like this crack on and plough let it dry out roll / cultivate ! Then drill .

In the likes of that field in the photo, we would love to plough it and take our time. Rolling seems an interesting idea. But in reality, we daren't because there is always a high likelihood that the weather breaks down at short notice and rains for the next three weeks. The tops of the furs dry out, but down in the bottom will be like porridge for ages. So we nearly always end up with ploughing to drilled in three or four days. The ground can be on the fresh side for work, but its better than missing it. We could plough lighter land and risk leaving it to the rain, but then why bother when it will drill straight behind the plough anyway.

Oh yeah. The other thing with that field -

Pretty annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Never worth buggering about with. In these situations it probably pays to have a smaller or older tractor which doesn't weight 8 tonnes empty on the job.
    8 tonnes on big boots or 4 on boots less than half the size? Tyre size v weight is what you need to be looking at.

set of tracks= 30,000
    set of duals= 300
    no contest.
    I suspect he meant an old Track Marshall or a BTD or similar

Quote Originally Posted by David. View Post

Quote Originally Posted by David. View Post
    He did.

Quote Originally Posted by track marshall View Post
    Looks like a nice bit of ground there !
    A good clash of the gate would work that down 👍👍

In the likes of that field in the photo, we would love to plough it and take our time. Rolling seems an interesting idea. But in reality, we daren't because there is always a high likelihood that the weather breaks down at short notice and rains for the next three weeks. The tops of the furs dry out, but down in the bottom will be like porridge for ages. So we nearly always end up with ploughing to drilled in three or four days. The ground can be on the fresh side for work, but its better than missing it. We could plough lighter land and risk leaving it to the rain, but then why bother when it will drill straight behind the plough anyway.
    Never rolled any ploughland last autumn before , after drilling or in spring and corn did very well.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    Looks like a nice bit of ground there !
    A good clash of the gate would work that down 👍👍
    it doesn't take much pulling down but in dry conditions it needs rolling or pressing behind the plough before it blows away!