Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd wheats

2nd wheats

Anyone sown any yet ! Finished 1st wheats .

Re: 2nd wheats

Still some to cut round here

Winter wheat ❓❓

You're drilling second wheats now?

Have you heard of take all?

Monsanto won't support the use of Latitude on wheat drilled before 25th of September, pesonally I recommend you don't even touch it until the middle of October so the soils have a chance to cool. Also the blackgrass angle. You'll get bored of spending a tonne of wheat an acre on blackgrass control real fast if you get that problem.

Is there any benefit using lat after mid october, I think its good stuff but wonder if Im wasting my money if I dont drill till then, usually waiting for muckspreaders or lifting spuds stops me...

Yes its still WW standing around here but almost everywhere will be wrapped up as its been a great week, cutting at 15% couple of days..

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    You're drilling second wheats now?

Have you heard of take all?

Monsanto won't support the use of Latitude on wheat drilled before 25th of September, pesonally I recommend you don't even touch it until the middle of October so the soils have a chance to cool. Also the blackgrass angle. You'll get bored of spending a tonne of wheat an acre on blackgrass control real fast if you get that problem.
    No not drilled and 2nd wheat yet I have heard of take all !

Have you heard of the northeast of England ?

Most people would be liked to be finished drilling by mid October around here !

It's all up to you farmer I can only suggest what I think whether you take any advice entirely on your own bat!

I love it when learn their own way! No good me telling folk anything!

It's all up to you farmer I can only suggest what I think whether you take any advice entirely on your own bat!

I love it when learn their own way! No good me telling folk anything!
    I didn't ask for your advice which by the way is bollocks for this area !

I'll give you some free advice bonney lad ! Which is if you ever farm in the northeast of England don't f@@k about and wait until mid October to start drilling 2 wheats !

Now don't take take this the wrong way but I doubt you could teach me out about growing wheat !

Now you can take this advice if you want !

Out of interest, to a non arable farmer from the south, are you looking at weather closing in and not working on the land or wanting to get the plant away sufficiently before winter? (I nearly added reindeer damage). I assume you might harvest a little later than darn sarf?

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Out of interest, to a non arable farmer from the south, are you looking at weather closing in and not working on the land or wanting to get the plant away sufficiently before winter? (I nearly added reindeer damage). I assume you might harvest a little later than darn sarf?
    Autumn in to winter starts a couple of weeks earlier up here temperatures are never as high so if it's turns wet it takes longer to dry out . Spring , springs later also and once again in the summer temperatures are not as high .
    Last year it started to rain mid oct and didn't stop until Jan if you'd pissed about waiting you wouldn't have got much in .
    Quite often the wheat harvest hasn't started up here when there's repots in FW about you Essex boys who have finished .
    It's a damp day here today and I believe the rest of the country is fine .

seed still expensive 300- 500 depends on dressing -as feed only around 100 a tonne

Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    Autumn in to winter starts a couple of weeks earlier up here temperatures are never as high so if it's turns wet it takes longer to dry out . Spring , springs later also and once again in the summer temperatures are not as high .
    Last year it started to rain mid oct and didn't stop until Jan if you'd pissed about waiting you wouldn't have got much in .
    Quite often the wheat harvest hasn't started up here when there's repots in FW about you Essex boys who have finished .
    It's a damp day here today and I believe the rest of the country is fine .
    You make it sound like the twilight zone up there.

I can assure you we know what wet land is like down here you don't have a monopoly on it.

Feel free to drill your wheat whenever you like, doesn't make a shit of difference to me, but I am not encouraging any of my lot to pay hand over fist for an expensive seed dressing if they intend to drill the stuff dead early anyway, its a waste of time. Monsanto do not support the use of their product on seed drilled early. That is the fact.

How the heck do you suppose we get on drilling wheat in behind maize?

In any event, drilling late, though far from fool proof does actually help when it comes to the issue of black grass.

Anyone sown any yet ! Finished 1st wheats .
    No we haven't, still lifting spuds,... A neighbour has wheat in the ground apparently,,, (plenty early enough in these parts,,) although its very dry here,, OSR and grass lets need a drink, even stubble turnips are looking a bit parched now,,

as the saying goes though be carefull what you wish for eh,,

took 4 tonne of "old" wheat in big bags to a local shoot a stock land sat morning and there was still standing wheat and barley up in the hills, I had to stop me Landy n check,,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

You make it sound like the twilight zone up there.

I can assure you we know what wet land is like down here you don't have a monopoly on it.

Feel free to drill your wheat whenever you like, doesn't make a shit of difference to me, but I am not encouraging any of my lot to pay hand over fist for an expensive seed dressing if they intend to drill the stuff dead early anyway, its a waste of time. Monsanto do not support the use of their product on seed drilled early. That is the fact.

How the heck do you suppose we get on drilling wheat in behind maize?

In any event, drilling late, though far from fool proof does actually help when it comes to the issue of black grass.
    I don't care whether you give a shit or not ,what I'm trying to do is educate you on growing seasons as you might have guessed there is a north south divide when it comes to weather ! are you keeping up ?
    In the south its generally on the whole warmer than the north ! still with me ? so this means crops up here stop growing for the winter earlier in the year, still with me ?
    Also in the south spring arrives with tweeting birds and pretty little flowers before it happens up here , which means the crops start to grow in the south before they do in the north.
    See it quite simple !

"How the heck do you suppose we get on drilling wheat in behind maize?" With a tractor and drill I assume !

I don't care whether you give a shit or not ,what I'm trying to do is educate you on growing seasons as you might have guessed there is a north south divide when it comes to weather ! are you keeping up ?
    In the south its generally on the whole warmer than the north ! still with me ? so this means crops up here stop growing for the winter earlier in the year, still with me ?
    Also in the south spring arrives with tweeting birds and pretty little flowers before it happens up here , which means the crops start to grow in the south before they do in the north.
    See it quite simple !

"How the heck do you suppose we get on drilling wheat in behind maize?" With a tractor and drill I assume !
    No problem sowing wheat after maize up here!
    Too cold to grow maize successfully.
    Amazing the lack of understanding where "Latitude" is concerned!
    Dates on the calendar are irrelevant, Latitude is!
    gee

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    gee
    In fairness to UW4MN the OP doesn't make it clear where he is drilling his second wheats until it all degenerates in to a slanging match, a location in a profile can make such a difference .
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    In fairness to UW4MN the OP doesn't make it clear where he is drilling his second wheats until it all degenerates in to a slanging match, a location in a profile can make such a difference .
    To be fair ! I asked if anyone "was drilling" 2nd wheats !

To be fair ! I asked if anyone "was drilling" 2nd wheats !
    Hey I'm not defending him as we know he's more than capable of giving as good as he gets on here!

For what it's worth (bugger all actually) we've not started drilling any wheat yet but I fully appreciate it's a different world down here compared with up where you are. Hoping to start ours next week which should guarantee it pees it down at the weekend
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Walked across a grass field last night about seven o clock.....the clover leaves were closing up a sure sign that Autumn and cooler temps are here.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post

For what it's worth (bugger all actually) we've not started drilling any wheat yet but I fully appreciate it's a different world down here compared with up where you are. Hoping to start ours next week which should guarantee it pees it down at the weekend
    It's worth hearing what you are doing with sowing dates !
    Probably start 2nd wheats next week sometime .
    The long range forecast (bbc weather app) looks the same for the next 10 days up here low cloud mist and fog about 15 c.
    Warmer and sunny around other parts of the uk

It's worth hearing what you are doing with sowing dates !
    Probably start 2nd wheats next week sometime .
    The long range forecast (bbc weather app) looks the same for the next 10 days up here low cloud mist and fog about 15 c.
    Warmer and sunny around other parts of the uk
    Think heavy rain and warning for tommorow here thursday.
    All the early drillers -have you dressed seed with tbe expensive take all treatment?
    High risk year.

I am not sure we are on the same page regarding what is considered early.

Lets say the old fashioned drilling date for WW is 15th October. Drilling earlier than that is not early in my book. If they could plenty of folk up north will and can successfully drill crops in August provided the correct variety is used.

Now, basically all of my guys who are drilling second wheats will be using Latitude.

What I am saying is that drilling early and using Latitude is by no means a sure bet that you won't get take all. I have had patches of Take all this year in second wheats on wheat which was drilled in the second week of October last year, and it was latitude dressed. I had the customer ring me up on the 1st Oct asking where the seed was and I replied I didn't want him to have it yet for this exact reason.

Monsanto DO NOT support the use of their own product on early drilled wheats.

It is true that the risk of take all declines according to certain factors. Soil temperature, general plant and root health and method of establishment all have a well documented effect which can be seen in a myriad of studies on the web.

Personally I would suggest all arable farmers routinely save their own seed (from the cleanest and none BG fields only!!!!) and have it dressed and only choose to purchase new seed when changing varieties or after several years of saving (obviously after many generations the stuff will dilute itself genetically anyway). Certainly I would have it sampled to confirm its germ though. For the average livestock folk though, who wholecrop or who cannot be bothered to store the stuff or mess around with it, they just buy new seed each time, of course, not that it is actually that expensive, given that it is half the cost of maize or grass seed.

not sure which part your in oldoaktree but east of the railway line near the coast here and we sowed @70ac of dickens lattitude dressed this past week, 45ac into hard dry knotty seed bed and 25 into nice moist fresh ploughed light land, just kept the seed rate back abit @165/175kg/ha, better getting it in in decent conditions than waiting a couple of weeks and puddling it into sh*te my advice crack on and get it in because once it starts raining it will forget to stop would've had a lot more sown but usuall problem.... waiting for seed from that supplier to the north of the county

Never use home saved seed anymore it's false economy in my opinion unless your in right good ground by the time you've dressed seed pay royalties there's not a whole lot of difference . My yields went up after I started to buy seed in .
    My Dad used to grow C1 then dress it I followed this method then tried bought in seed ! Yields went up .
    Ploughing at mo will drill more 2nd wheat next week then barley then 3 rd wheats hope to get finished 1st week of oct 👍👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    not sure which part your in oldoaktree but east of the railway line near the coast here and we sowed @70ac of dickens lattitude dressed this past week, 45ac into hard dry knotty seed bed and 25 into nice moist fresh ploughed light land, just kept the seed rate back abit @165/175kg/ha, better getting it in in decent conditions than waiting a couple of weeks and puddling it into sh*te my advice crack on and get it in because once it starts raining it will forget to stop would've had a lot more sown but usuall problem.... waiting for seed from that supplier to the north of the county
    Got my Graffton yesterday it's was my best wheat this year seed price not to bad , clean , stiff , short and good yield !
    Happy days

Never use home saved seed anymore it's false economy in my opinion unless your in right good ground by the time you've dressed seed pay royalties there's not a whole lot of difference . My yields went up after I started to buy seed in .
    My Dad used to grow C1 then dress it I followed this method then tried bought in seed ! Yields went up .
    Ploughing at mo will drill more 2nd wheat next week then barley then 3 rd wheats hope to get finished 1st week of oct 👍👍👍
    Agree, same with scotch spud seed, did get c1 seed last year as thats all there was of my chosen sort, so thought should dress some, priced it up other week, same price think they were/are really struggling with sales.

Seed volumes are probably well down, that is understandable.

For a big arable farm I don't see the point in spending thousands if you know you can grow clean crops, you might as well dress your own to be honest.

Oilseed rape area has got to be well down. I can't see it paying at the sort of money it is going for at the moment.

Grow more maize, one of my favorite crops. No nitrogen bill, a chance to wallop your blackgrass and get some dung on the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    gee
    Also Altitude but let's not get practicalities get in they way of theory .
    Some people can do things others talk about doing things .

Yawn. I'll let you argue about Latitude with Monsanto, I have the tech sheet for it right here on my desk.

You should take a road trip to these parts, did you not notice a large part of the county was under water for several weeks last year? I can assure you we have wet land here too, just like you up there.

Yawn. I'll let you argue about Latitude with Monsanto, I have the tech sheet for it right here on my desk.

You should take a road trip to these parts, did you not notice a large part of the county was under water for several weeks last year? I can assure you we have wet land here too, just like you up there.
    Yawn ! Priceless
    I think you might find I'm talking about longitude and " latitude" also altitude !
    Don't use Monsanto seed dressings .

Sick to your desk and let us get on with things !