Thread: Affected by niegbours blocked land drain

Affected by niegbours blocked land drain

The neighbouring land owner to me has a blocked land drain which is causing my land to become water logged as I'm down hill from the affected site.before I go see them about it does any one know the legal position with this sort of thing?

Re: Affected by niegbours blocked land drain

Several ways to deal with it are to tap the water into your own drain to get it away, offer to fix it for your neighbour and save your own land or consult a solicitor. I wouldn't even consider the latter , how well do you know your neighbour?

Generally speaking , you have to accept your uphill neighbours water.
    he would have to either be grossly negligent or deliberate in his actions for it to be otherwise

best try and keep on the right side of him and try and get some acceptable solution
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

This ^^^^.

Or dig a ditch on your own land to convey the water away then at least control is in your own hands. Then the landowner below you has no option but to accept it in turn.

Not sure this is strictly true with some of the advice above. Look into the nuisance tort of rylands v fletcher and it could well apply to this situation. In the meantime in this situation, I had a similar situation to yourself. Called blocked drain sheffield and got them to come out and fix the situation for me. Managed to even get some of the charge shared by the farm uphill - always good to keep good neighbourly relations after all (why i didn't charge them the whole amount )

Hope this helps.