Thread: Maize and wholecrop video

Maize and wholecrop video

A short video from the chopper of our first maize of 2014. Case badged Claas conventional header converted back to work on our Claas 900.

Not sure if I posted my vid of the MacDon on the '900 so here it is too.

They work best in full HD. Especially the wholecrop one.

Re: Maize and wholecrop video

It looks weird driving into a crop that's at eye level in the cab!
    Not something we can grow here but the sheer bulk of crop is amazing.

The low level shots doing barley work well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    It looks weird driving into a crop that's at eye level in the cab!
    Not something we can grow here but the sheer bulk of crop is amazing.

The low level shots doing barley work well.
    The tallest I've ever had was 2' above the cab roof! That was very difficult to keep on the rows and auto steering wasn't working at the time.

I was was hoping to have a camera man in the field to take some longer shots of the maize harvesting but he wasn't available. All the shots are a bit rushed as I was shifting the camera between loads and they were keeping up most of the time.

Was going to ask how you were getting on with the 900, friendly beast to work with and looks like the Macdon suits it lovely- such an even flow into the chopper and all end on so would be perfect for alkalage??

somerset uk ,my family has 12 farms in michigan usa

a big krone just cut 2 of our fields, and boy did he motor on.6 trailers could not keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Was going to ask how you were getting on with the 900, friendly beast to work with and looks like the Macdon suits it lovely- such an even flow into the chopper and all end on so would be perfect for alkalage??
    We've gone on well. A few issues, none of which stopped us. The most striking thing to me is how easy they are to work on. An incredibly simple machine. With the crackers in, it's a totally different machine to the Case. The Case crackers were very effective but used a huge amount of power. My ability to keep it on the row was basically what was limiting my speed in maize. I need a wider header really.

In the correct crop the MacDon is a brilliant thing to use. It feeds a lot smoother on the '900. It's one downfall is the skids bulldoze in fluffy soils. I am fitting rollers for next season. It does NOT like peas!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fieldmarshall View Post
    a big krone just cut 2 of our fields, and boy did he motor on.6 trailers could not keep up.
    I can't think who has a Krone around here? I've seen one working though, year before last, when everyones maize was being cut with a wholecrop header...

Had 2 loads of mine off now, Steven's have that new 10 row prototype Orbis. Absolute animal of a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by v12cat View Post
    We've gone on well. A few issues, none of which stopped us. The most striking thing to me is how easy they are to work on. An incredibly simple machine. With the crackers in, it's a totally different machine to the Case. The Case crackers were very effective but used a huge amount of power. My ability to keep it on the row was basically what was limiting my speed in maize. I need a wider header really.

In the correct crop the MacDon is a brilliant thing to use. It feeds a lot smoother on the '900. It's one downfall is the skids bulldoze in fluffy soils. I am fitting rollers for next season. It does NOT like peas!!!!!
    Didn't the Case have 3 cracker rollers??

I suppose Claas have been making them for years, each Jaguar seems to be just a carefully refined version of the one that went before it, those Germans aren't daft.

I wouldn't dare grow peas for wholecropping, its bad enough trying to combine the things, I had thought the Macdon would have been just the ticket for a down crop but I don't know how you would go about adjusting it on a forager- in the states they have a way of tiling the whole thing back and forth for cutting soya etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Didn't the Case have 3 cracker rollers??

I suppose Claas have been making them for years, each Jaguar seems to be just a carefully refined version of the one that went before it, those Germans aren't daft.

I wouldn't dare grow peas for wholecropping, its bad enough trying to combine the things, I had thought the Macdon would have been just the ticket for a down crop but I don't know how you would go about adjusting it on a forager- in the states they have a way of tiling the whole thing back and forth for cutting soya etc.
    Yes, it had 3 rollers. Very savage on green crops, even when set wide. 10mm+ !!! Would literally take the crop apart down to fibres if you weren't careful. The crackers were it's biggest design flaw.

The MacDon is actually very good with down crops. Once harvested a field of winter wheat, 80% of which looked like it had been rolled. Driving on it made no difference to it!! When we had finished it was impossible to tell where the down areas and stood areas were. The problem in peas is the sails are necessary to get the crop onto the belts but they try to pull the things up by the roots ahead of the cutterbar. We tried all sorts of settings but couldn't get it to feed properly. Some of the pea crops were a bit extreme mind. One was 6' tall till it fell flat on the floor taking the barley with it.

Daft mix IMHO because it usually ends up horribly weedy as you can't spray it properly.