Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Int 574 power steering issues

Exclamation Int 574 power steering issues

As above i have a 574 which has been good for last few years, recently the power steering seemed slow when cold, topped up with hydraulic oil with little difference.

Got a loader of ebay and fitted that last month now with over a decent weight on loader steering is very poor unless moving, it does assist but you certainly cant steer while not in transit.

I do have a new hydraulic oil filter but are there any other common faults to check look out for while im on with the change?

Many thanks Joe

Re: Int 574 power steering issues

Need to check pump output 1st cos of age - could check steering priority valve which (IIRC) enters multi control valve at the bottom front, remove & check spring not broken/shite in valve, if ok, could shim up with a washer to see if that improves things

If the steering is sluggish always suspect the filter first and the screen , The screen can get covered in a very fine slime sometimes or filings , and its always a good idea to change the oil filter very regularly.
    Has it been filled with Hytran or a similar spec back end oil and not a universal oil? I suspect the oils not the problem as I presume it was ok at one time?

But would agree with Reidy as regards the steering valve . Not sure how often the steering orbital needs attention , but of all the ones I have had ,never had a problem

brilliant, thanks guys.

I will change filter and check valve fro good measure.

it has the trans oil in, but prob due a change.

DO NOT use hydraulic oil in a 574 transmission, if in doubt drain it out & refill with hytran fluid.
    As for the fault do as others have said & change the filter first, make sure you clean the bypass valve screen as well, when you reassemble the screen goes into the filter bowl first, then the filter, be careful not to get the square section o ring twisted & then don't over tighten the filter bowl, 15lbft.
    Any further problems repost.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_Joe View Post
    As above i have a 574 which has been good for last few years, recently the power steering seemed slow when cold, topped up with hydraulic oil with little difference. Got a loader of ebay and fitted that last month now with over a decent weight on loader steering is very poor unless moving, it does assist but you certainly cant steer while not in transit. I do have a new hydraulic oil filter but are there any other common faults to check look out for while im on with the change? Many thanks Joe
    Are the hub bearings greased and turning freely? metal on metal wont steer. hy tran oil is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    Are the hub bearings greased and turning freely? metal on metal wont steer. hy tran oil is a must.
    Is hy tran a must? I use JD Hygard in my 475 and it seems OK. What has hy tran got that other transmission oils haven't?

Quote Originally Posted by NewQman View Post
    Is hy tran a must? I use JD Hygard in my 475 and it seems OK. What has hy tran got that other transmission oils haven't?
    Its best to use the recomended oil.

JD Hygard is an UTTO,as is Hy Tran and so many more.Just different names for the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapples View Post
    DO NOT use hydraulic oil in a 574 transmission, if in doubt drain it out & refill with hytran fluid.
    As for the fault do as others have said & change the filter first, make sure you clean the bypass valve screen as well, when you reassemble the screen goes into the filter bowl first, then the filter, be careful not to get the square section o ring twisted & then don't over tighten the filter bowl, 15lbft.
    Any further problems repost.
    Changed oil and filter (BOTH QUITE GRIM) but problem is still there, slightly improved but does not turn freely from lock to lock.

Ive taken a pic of filter area as i not sure which is steering priority valve, any help greatfully recieved.

Changed oil and filter (BOTH QUITE GRIM) but problem is still there, slightly improved but does not turn freely from lock to lock.

Ive taken a pic of filter area as i not sure which is steering priority valve, any help greatfully recieved.

steering ram seals gone?

The priority valve is under the bigger bung in the base of the MCV, almost directly under the filter.

The priority valve is under the bigger bung in the base of the MCV, almost directly under the filter.
    great thanks, i have found my workshop manual so know exactly what you mean thanks again

if my memory is right , one of the bungs has a valve/piston and spring under it and the other is the main relief valve for the hydraulics, this one has a fine gauze in the end ,held in by a circlip, under which is an adjustable valve, , be carefull not to adjust/ dissassemble to much ( its set at factory i believe), i made this mistake and it kept shearing the woodruff key on the hydraulic pump( behind mcv) before i traced it back to this valve i had stripped to clean ,

Quote Originally Posted by manx674 View Post
    if my memory is right , one of the bungs has a valve/piston and spring under it and the other is the main relief valve for the hydraulics, this one has a fine gauze in the end ,held in by a circlip, under which is an adjustable valve, , be carefull not to adjust/ dissassemble to much ( its set at factory i believe), i made this mistake and it kept shearing the woodruff key on the hydraulic pump( behind mcv) before i traced it back to this valve i had stripped to clean ,
    Ha ha i will be sure not to touch this then!

Removed priority valve all looks ok from what i can see, will upload a pic just the bottom bung/spring seat the spring and te outter/upper spring seat. All look clean but i shimmed it just to try still the same.

Just to check it was in right, the bit on the left came out the other way up

here you go

Was a tad low on oil so topped up still same. any other ideas welcome, when turning towards end of lock you can hear tractor really gurning and straining like its trying to pump the oil but it adds no effort to steering. Will try upload a video if you promise not to laugh at my old nash!

Removed priority valve all looks ok from what i can see, will upload a pic just the bottom bung/spring seat the spring and te outter/upper spring seat. All look clean but i shimmed it just to try still the same.

Just to check it was in right, the bit on the left came out the other way up

here you go

Was a tad low on oil so topped up still same. any other ideas welcome, when turning towards end of lock you can hear tractor really gurning and straining like its trying to pump the oil but it adds no effort to steering. Will try upload a video if you promise not to laugh at my old nash!
    Did you check the oriface in the valve ? The way its shown in the picture looks the right way, spring goes into the bottom.
    From how you describe the fault I wouldn't be surprised if the central land in the steering ram has moved along partially blocking the oil hole in the piston.

Did you check the oriface in the valve ? The way its shown in the picture looks the right way, spring goes into the bottom.
    From how you describe the fault I wouldn't be surprised if the central land in the steering ram has moved along partially blocking the oil hole in the piston.

how do you mean the land in the pas ram? can you describe in more detail what you mean.

Cheers Joe

hi down on the right hand side of the seat you should have either one or 2 spool valve levers, i had the same trouble a few years back when i had one, first start the tractor then pull a spool valve lever up towards the back of the cab and wile holding it so its pumping see if the steering goes really light like it should be / was and report back,

Quote Originally Posted by ford 7840 View Post
    hi down on the right hand side of the seat you should have either one or 2 spool valve levers, i had the same trouble a few years back when i had one, first start the tractor then pull a spool valve lever up towards the back of the cab and wile holding it so its pumping see if the steering goes really light like it should be / was and report back,
    Great i will try that

Hi
    If your steering does go light/normal when you pull up the aux valve you need to be checking pressure at one of the pas hoses at the ram.
    If the fault is in the ram ( land )
    The pas ram is balanced, there is a land on the middle of the piston with a hole either side, the oil flows in one hole & out the other hole on the opersite side of the land. It is possible for this land to move along the piston & block or partially block off one of these oil gallery's in the piston, normally caused by hitting the front wheel on a post or wall.
    The pressure should be 1500psi ( 2wd ) & the rv is in the MCV front bottom left as you look at it

Hi
    If your steering does go light/normal when you pull up the aux valve you need to be checking pressure at one of the pas hoses at the ram.
    If the fault is in the ram ( land )
    The pas ram is balanced, there is a land on the middle of the piston with a hole either side, the oil flows in one hole & out the other hole on the opersite side of the land. It is possible for this land to move along the piston & block or partially block off one of these oil gallery's in the piston, normally caused by hitting the front wheel on a post or wall.
    The pressure should be 1500psi ( 2wd ) & the rv is in the MCV front bottom left as you look at it
    I think your correct, i tried operating spool and its just same.

To be fair ive been quite rough moving stuff with it in the past so i can see this happening...

will take ram off and investigate.

Many thanks for all your help so far

ram looks ok, both holes (on one side) here and land look to be close enough, struggling to get other cap off ram and dont wan to pull it all way out as may damage seal in the bit where the retainer spring for end cap sits. As said looks ok what do you guys think?

Yes that looks to be OK, that land can move either way & block off a hole totally or partially. As long as the other side is clear also.
    Next you need to be checking pressure at one of the feed pipes to the ram.

could it be your orbital unit gone west? put the stop lever into stop position and wind engine over on the key, there shouldnt be any oil coming out the steering ram pipes until you turn the steering wheel, maybe the seals have gone and its pressureing both sides of the ram, i have one i took off a 574 that i broke up after it chucked a con rod out the side, you can pm me if you try this and need one

If I recall correctly there a relief valve in the MCV for the steering??

Yrs ago , someone put the mesh strainer in the wrong way around on the oil filter bowl with element on my 674 and the resulting damage caused the priority valve to get stuck in its machine slot occasionally .
    Despite a gentle polish of the valve we couldn't get it right , and they are a matched pair the MVC and Priority valve so changed the whole MCV block from a burnt out one from 2 miles away on Furbers scrap pile!! Now I didn't change any of the other bits and bobs off the new/old MCV but when we put it on and fired her up the steering was as sluggish as hell ,and I recall having to change the steering relief valve .
    It cured that problem.
    Maybe Gapples can say if this is a possibility

Yes indeed, I did say to check the p/steering pressure, 1500psi on 2wd. The prv is in the bottom front left corner of the MCV.

Yes indeed, I did say to check the p/steering pressure, 1500psi on 2wd. The prv is in the bottom front left corner of the MCV.
    can i just bob the gauge on the prv blank then?

took out the prv and none return as marked here f on diagram looked ok all nice and clean

as you say though in literal terms they are the other way up prv below the none return

No, you can't test the pressure there, test at the p/steering hose where it connects onto the ram.
    The little non return valve behind the metal pipe on the MCV is the power steering return valve, it won't affect the steering but if it fails, melts or gets damaged it will mean the oil feed to the PTO can lower causing PTO failure.
    You could do a flow test the steering feed at the MCV, should be 2.5 gallons a min at rated speed. Its the pipe that comes out the front of the MCV under the filter.
    If flow & pressure are both OK then its down to orbitrol, ram, king pins & thrust bearing on bottom of king pin.

now i have no pto, problem is its probably been around 2 years since i last used it on this tractor, meaning im not sure if its something ive done or its part of the bigger picture. Ive re-checked the none return and assembled it exactly as above but no joy....