Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Managing Lambing Sheep With No Grass!

Re: Managing Lambing Sheep With No Grass!

just carrying on feeding concentrates the same pre-lambing 1kg a day, rumevite blocks to see how hungry they still are, mollases and hay to, lambs are looking ok but hear horrendous stories round here of lambs dropping off 2-3weeks old cos of cutting back on feed and thinking their ok. everything is feed in troughs never have problems with mix ups when feeding just getting to the troughs is a pain!but then when feed is costing 250+tonne id rather know that its all gone inside the ewe and not trampled in the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    just carrying on feeding concentrates the same pre-lambing 1kg a day, rumevite blocks to see how hungry they still are, mollases and hay to, lambs are looking ok but hear horrendous stories round here of lambs dropping off 2-3weeks old cos of cutting back on feed and thinking their ok. everything is feed in troughs never have problems with mix ups when feeding just getting to the troughs is a pain!but then when feed is costing 250+tonne id rather know that its all gone inside the ewe and not trampled in the ground!
    You should not feed Rumevite with all the other feed you are giving them as it will be counter productive.
    The base of Rumevite is Urea and it works as an appetite enhancer and helps to break down poor quality forage to make it more digestible.

You only need the molasses or you are wasting money.

How about stock feed potatoes? Running out of fodder beet but hear SFP may be available - not fed them to sheep in many, many years. How do they do on them?

brilliant for finishing , not very pallitable to start with though takes quite a while to get ewes to eat them, so chopping will be a must to start , and you really want them washed , as we had bad erysipilas from them last year (soil contamination) infecting ewes and lambs , with associated joint ill problems and rain scald type scab on bare skin , down to pig slurry put on before planting i recon , wouldnt feed them pre lambing again

Quote Originally Posted by Sh3pherdess View Post
    Mine, who do know what hay is, have stopped eating it in preference for grass I cannot see. You must have more growing than us.

But it is a good thing to teach hoggs to eat, even if you never intend to feed them.
    Also here, grazing but what on? it is invisible to me, still snacking at the haylage though and blocks.

+1 teaching hoggs to come to the bag, they are silly enough anyway. Essential when no dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    Also here, grazing but what on? it is invisible to me, still snacking at the haylage though and blocks.

teaching hoggs to come to the bag, they are silly enough anyway. Essential when no dog.
    Aye, just put cows out onto what to me is a completely bald park, just for exercise & sun on their backs & save bedding. Blow me if they're eating quite a bit less hay. Must be eating soil?!

Just taken bag of cake out to ewes and lamb, looks bare - but there were that keen - I think it is growing!!

Mine are ignoring hay - I had been chucking nuts at them in very limited quantities (I think I got through 5 bags for 200 odd ewes). Might stop doing that now.