Thread: IT GRANDSON

IT GRANDSON

My grandson is 3years 8months.

On Saturday he came past me in the lounge with an old milking stool. He used it so that he could reach to unhook the lock on the office door, then stood on the stool to reach the mouse on the computer. The computer was on sleep, so he pressed the space bar to wake it up.
    He than went in to Guest(Mine) , clicked on start, then programmes, scrolled down to find games, found the game he wanted, and started to play!!

Why am I so computer illiterate????

Jack Caley

Re: IT GRANDSON

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    My grandson is 3years 8months.

On Saturday he came past me in the lounge with an old milking stool. He used it so that he could reach to unhook the lock on the office door, then stood on the stool to reach the mouse on the computer. The computer was on sleep, so he pressed the space bar to wake it up.
    He than went in to Guest(Mine) , clicked on start, then programmes, scrolled down to find games, found the game he wanted, and started to play!!

Why am I so computer illiterate????

Jack Caley
    Easy: you are no longer 3 years 8 months

JV

My brother in law does pretty much the same thing for a living, and drives an Aston Martin DBS off the back of it.
    Hide the Britains farm models, and encourage the wee lad on the computer. And tell him not to forget you when he's grown up and doing IT for the oil industry...

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer IV View Post
    Hide the Britains farm models, and encourage the wee lad on the computer.
    Noooo. Don't hide the farm models, and teach him how to find bird's nests, and to set a snare for a rabbit or a charlie, and what wireworm look like, how much lead to give a woodpigeon with the wind up it's backside, and to tighten wire and not have it dangling like Christmas decorations, and to bury the rubbish properly when ploughing, and to take the fleece off a waspy young ewe, and to work hard but to play hard as well. And a million and one other things.

By all means encourage him on the computer Jack but don't forget the really important things in this life.

My son is in his third year at uni doing "ethical hacking and countermeasures" I don't think he or his little brother (leaves school next year) will want to follow their old dad in the industry. But I want them to be happy doing what they are good at and want to do. Let young people find their own strengths. Elder son laughs at me when I ask him to slow down and let me see what he is doing when he sorts my computer, by the time I have read the first line he has moved on 3 pages but I can still reverse a trailer better than him

Well as I farmers son I wanted to be just like my dad and so did my brother, but we both work in IT and have done since we finished our A-levels, which in my case was over twenty years ago and I am still not 40 !!

Do I regret my decision, a bit. Whilst I would have loved working on a farm, I just got on with computers even better, perhaps when I get closer to retirement I will think about getting my own small holding or finding a way in to farming.

We are teaching our 5 year olds and upwards how to programme in school, they excel at this due to it being interesting. Without realising it, they us maths, problem solving , logical thinking and de-bugging to get to the end result. Its amazing how they pick it up and don,t believe me that when I was the same age they are now that we did not have a ipad, tablet, laptop etc.