Thread: Cattle barriers etc

Cattle barriers etc

Fitting out some new sheds need some feed barriers with troughs and array of gates etc. Is there anywhere to look other than IAE are all IAE dealers same price?

Re: Cattle barriers etc

I found it took 8 weeks before rep could call at my farm to sort out my requirements, then 8 weeks wait to be made and delivered, my new project cattle race tub and crush i desighned myself and have been talking to robert johnson at iae direct which seems alot quicker, plus seems to be good on the price

We used Batemans for the standard stuff in our cow housing, we've also used Ritchie for our handling system and associated gates and doors. The Ritchie stuff is very good although the larger ag dealers (Countrywide etc) round here carry Bateman stuff in stock. I believe that Ritchie have a decent sized stock of stuff too though and will deliver larger orders on their own lorries so that may speed delivery times up a bit.

For feed barriers we decided to go away from diagonal fences and instead just fit a single neck rail in the cow housing, it's evened out intakes with less bullying evident and was cheaper to install too. Keep in mind though we're feeding a small feed of rapemeal once a day so bullying was more of an issue than feeding silage etc may be. It also removed issues around stock bulls struggling to get necks through diagonal fences too.

Edit: Oh, as far as dealers of the same brand go; they don't all price to the same level and it's always worth playing them off against each other. There's been some consolidation of brands around here recently that has reduced the competition between them unfortunately however you may well find people like Ritchie will book stuff through your local tractor dealer (they deal with Chandlers for example out this way).
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Teemore Engineering are goodhttp://www.teemoreengineering.com/contact_maps.php#

They may have a rep in your area?

Thanks for the replies the single head rail is interesting you think it would work for stores, if height adjustable?

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy View Post
    Thanks for the replies the single head rail is interesting you think it would work for stores, if height adjustable?
    Works perfectly well.
    Get the height right and it won't need adjusted though it may be worth having another rail above it to lessen the chance of any attempting to jump over.

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    Works perfectly well.
    Get the height right and it won't need adjusted though it may be worth having another rail above it to lessen the chance of any attempting to jump over.
    When we set ours up we put three different holes through the stanchions for height adjustment however we've never got round to changing it as we seem to have it about right. We have housed cows with 6 month old calves at foot for around 10 days before weaning this year feeding all of them in the trough, the only problem we had was with one calf popping through the front at feeding time so I guess if we were feeding them regularly this way it'd be better to lower the rail.

I've seen some using thick steel wire instead of the rail too which works well if you can keep the tension in the wire. Others have suggested ratchet straps may work for cows but I don't think they'd be robust enough for young stock.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

If using steel wire, running it through some alkathene pipe makes it somewhat kinder.