Thread: Sheep grazing (cost per head)

Sheep grazing (cost per head)

We have been offered some grazing on a dairy farm not to far away for about 300 ewes / ewe lambs
    from now to first the week of January, usual dairy farm plenty of grass, boundary fences ok with a few
    hurdles here and there the rest free range as far as sheep are concerned.
    Now its been many many years since we last took any grazing so just wondering whats the going rate
    on a pence per head per week basis, I have some idea what the chap wants but seems very pricey
    especially as we haven't planed on taking any and could manage without, it would just ease the pressure for a couple of months.

Re: Sheep grazing (cost per head)

I think there is so much grass about on wet ground this year it should probably be free!

Last year I was paid 20-30ppw where fields had to be fenced 40-50ppw where the fencing was good from memory....

I am paying 50p per lamb per week for over the winter(70p ewes), fenced, watered,checked and hay if snow. Clean grass on a beef place. Paid 35p for lambs on a similar arrangement a few weeks ago, but grass didn't last long and small awkward bits.

37p week just for grass we provide any fencing required and all the care.

For us, it's not just the PPW. It's how wet the land is, how easy the lorry access and the lookering access is, degree of aggro from footpath and dog walkers etc.

But it's not big beans that's for sure. 300 ewes would be a fair few for some of the 'semi-rural' fields around here but there's plenty that want their pasture grazed just to keep it down. They sure as hell don't want horses on it!
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Supply and demand---something tells me I will be paying less than I would in your area

I get dairy grazing for free---do all fencing/checking/moving etc
    The dairy guys want ;
    1) Grass tidying up
    2) All rules kept to including movement /tagging all perfect
    3) Me to get off immediately when asked

They get all this and probably some lamb for 300 lambs overwintered

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Supply and demand---something tells me I will be paying less than I would in your area

I get dairy grazing for free---do all fencing/checking/moving etc
    The dairy guys want ;
    1) Grass tidying up
    2) All rules kept to including movement /tagging all perfect
    3) Me to get off immediately when asked

They get all this and probably some lamb for 300 lambs overwintered
    Good points all - especially perfect tagging etc which I had neglected to mention.
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

We have used grazing approx 10 acres for sheep for over 10 years with an arrangement of looking after the fields, spraying the weeds and docks (we paid a local farmer 400 last year for all spraying and harrowing and top dressing) Although the large field is fenced the rest is tumbledown fencing and we put up temporary electrics when we move the sheep onto this. We move off from around Feb-end of May. We cannot use all the grazing at one time as the owners train dogs in one field at a time and we rotate. We give them a lamb all nicely butchered once a year. they are now asking for rent which is fair enough 360 per year but we still can't use all of the fields and they always call us to ask when we are moving managers around so the grass can't be damaged, when we are taking sheep off or putting them on and when we are fertilissing and weedkilling. Are we expected to do all this as well as pay rent especially as no permanent fencing on about 1/3 rd of the land and also the other field half the posts are rotten now and animals have pushed through causing us grief. We do put electric strands right round with a field band at the top. the fields were a real mess when we first went there and the grass is now really good. Any advice helpful!

That's the joy of renting land, you improve it they think more of it and price goes up or you get put off it. Been there done that.

Thanks for the replies. Weve got good fencing but Im hoping not to have to do too much due to other work commitments.

I am passing but I dont want the hassle of trying to keep someone elses escape prone sheep in fields that are fenced for cattle. Though the chap that puts them in fences well, moves them when I want and they dont get out very often.but I have heard of some that have had sheep droped in from afar with the promise of a good payment only for the the farmer to find that you cant keep them anywhere.