Thread: Dairy Crest sells to Muller

Dairy Crest sells to Muller

Re: Dairy Crest sells to Muller

getting that way!

it's not a supprise really, they've got there premium brands to concentrate on, it's been on the cards for years! doubt this'll be good for the farmers

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    Isn't this the very same sort of monopoly that these companies claimed that milk marque once had???

Bit of a double standards issue surely?

I think it's a good thing - fewer processors for the retailers to play with has to better - imo. This was fairly imminent news, as it's been no real secret that Mr Muller had a fair old collection of DC shares coming along.

As a MW supplier - I have to say I'm really pleased that MW are only trying to buy the milk and butter business - and not the cheese.

It's hardly a monopoly. According to my man who would know such things, Arla and Muller/Wisemans together would deal with about 40% or so of the UK milk pool, this move will bring that total up a bit more, but its not a monopoly.

As Moors suggests, the more milk the middle men control, the larger clout they have with supermarkets and the like, so it's probably a good move for farmers on the whole.

What you do not want is a situation where the weakest player in the game is having to sell product at or near a loss to keep the wolf from the door, and then retailers using that as leverage on the other players.

As I have said before, eventually it will end up in the hands of a very small number of larger milk buyers, in a way reverting to the MMB model.

Oligopoly is I think the word you are after.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    It's hardly a monopoly. According to my man who would know such things, Arla and Muller/Wisemans together would deal with about 40% or so of the UK milk pool, this move will bring that total up a bit more, but its not a monopoly.

As Moors suggests, the more milk the middle men control, the larger clout they have with supermarkets and the like, so it's probably a good move for farmers on the whole.

What you do not want is a situation where the weakest player in the game is having to sell product at or near a loss to keep the wolf from the door, and then retailers using that as leverage on the other players.

As I have said before, eventually it will end up in the hands of a very small number of larger milk buyers, in a way reverting to the MMB model.
    Neither in truth was the hold milk marque had on the processors & they failed to hold the price crash that followed. But still the above companies individually kept refering to the monopolies & mergers committee. Yes anything that can fight the supermarkets is a good thing but we should all remember that swords have two edges