Thread: Double line broadband

Double line broadband

Does anyone know how you can join two landlines together to get faster broadband?

Jack Caley

Re: Double line broadband

The only thing I have heard being done is if you have a spare 'pair' coming from the cabinet to your house a friendly bt engineer may be persuaded to link these to the existing pair (if that makes sense) to provide a better line. Not sure if you can gain much though.

HH

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Herdsman View Post
    The only thing I have heard being done is if you have a spare 'pair' coming from the cabinet to your house a friendly bt engineer may be persuaded to link these to the existing pair (if that makes sense) to provide a better line. Not sure if you can gain much though.

HH
    They should check the pairs and swap you to the best

Jim

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Does anyone know how you can join two landlines together to get faster broadband?

Jack Caley
    I'm afraid not otherwise I'd have done it long ago. It would seem to make sense but as yet there's no practical way to do it. Satellite is coming closer and closer to being the answer. There are viable setups out there but their pricing structure is still very cynical.

https://www.satelliteinternet.co.uk/...es?zid=1&pid=4

bonding lines can be done although I have no personal experience of it
    you might get more information here https://evolving.net.uk/
    there are also modems available that will allow you to set them to run with more line noise allowing much faster speeds
    Last edited by defender; 10-11-14 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by defender View Post
    bonding lines can be done although I have no personal experience of it
    you might get more information here https://evolving.net.uk/
    there are also modems available that will allow you to set them to run with more line noise allowing much faster speeds
    From their website:

It involves bonding 2 or more ADSL lines, aggregating both the upload and download bandwidth into one single logical connection. By doing this, the connection becomes more resilient and much faster.
    Very interesting and given i've got 2 broadband lines, one of which I don't use as it's the slower, something worth considering.

I stumbled across Speedify the other day, I've no idea at all if it works, how it works, if it is safe or anything else but it may be of interest? Basically claims to marry broadband, 3G etc in to one single connection, appreciate it won't suit a lot of folks though. I don't know if it can join two lines though.

There is also this which suggests that Windows is able to bridge two connections from separate lines (Windows 7 upwards) along with a couple of other options too. Again I've not tried any of them.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

We used to do this with ISDN lines, not sure if it works with ADSL
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

You can bond to lines of adsl together using a Draytek dual Wan router. Draytek are a decent reliable brand of router, but the config/setup may be a bit tricky depending on your abilty.

Can 'bond' two adsl lines with two routers and a passive switch. As said, configuration of them is the tricky part.