Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Tractor

Project Tractor

Looking for a project tractor to work on over the winter, can anybody give me any help as to where I could find the suitable machine? Ideally looking for a New Holland TM that's rough, high houred, needing repairs or all of the previous!! This is the preference although other tractors may be considered and any brand also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Michael

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: Project Tractor

If you are prepared to consider other models look here:

http://www.briansusedtractors.co.uk/...2F_New_Holland

There's a right project or two amongst them.

Get yourself a decent cab to put on say the cabless 5610 here:

http://www.stephenrobinson.com/

or take a look at the TW15 down the page on the second link if you don't fancy going as extreme as the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    If you are prepared to consider other models look here:

http://www.briansusedtractors.co.uk/...2F_New_Holland

There's a right project or two amongst them.

Get yourself a decent cab to put on say the cabless 5610 here:

http://www.stephenrobinson.com/

or take a look at the TW15 down the page on the second link if you don't fancy going as extreme as the other stuff.
    Yeah there definitely true project tractors but a bit older than what I'd like!! Thanks for the input though, maybe someone on here will see something they fancy and get a deal struck up with Brian lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by michaelb1992 View Post
    Looking for a project tractor to work on over the winter, can anybody give me any help as to where I could find the suitable machine? Ideally looking for a New Holland TM that's rough, high houred, needing repairs or all of the previous!! This is the preference although other tractors may be considered and any brand also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Michael
    Graham holland (other 2nd hand dealers are available) , he usually has some projects in his yard,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    Graham holland (other 2nd hand dealers are available) , he usually has some projects in his yard,
    Thanks for the heads up with that, seems to have a few bits and pieces about him although the tm he has at the minute is too good for my job!! I'm looking for a real badger lol

Thanks for the heads up with that, seems to have a few bits and pieces about him although the tm he has at the minute is too good for my job!! I'm looking for a real badger lol
    You are either very gifted in the spannering department or have too much time o. Your hands,,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    You are either very gifted in the spannering department or have too much time o. Your hands,,,
    Bit of both tbh!!! Plus I like a challenge, it's not that easy finding the tractor I'm looking for.

What about I lend you my 8100 over the winter!

:-)

looking for a cheap tm you will be looking along time me thinks cos if there that bad there broken for spares

What's cheap? Know of a local contractors high hour 130 (04) on it's way to the dealers soon.
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

Quote Originally Posted by ford 7840 View Post
    looking for a cheap tm you will be looking along time me thinks cos if there that bad there broken for spares
    We have two TM155s but just the opposite to what the OP is after, low-ish hours, well shod and pretty tidy, this week we had a local lad put a marker down for when the time comes to replace either one, but then theres a couple of reps who've been eyeing them up as well!! Still seem to be a popular mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    We have two TM155s but just the opposite to what the OP is after, low-ish hours, well shod and pretty tidy, this week we had a local lad put a marker down for when the time comes to replace either one, but then theres a couple of reps who've been eyeing them up as well!! Still seem to be a popular mount.
    155s were a good tractor, especially later ones with the improved braking system (08ish on IIRC)

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    What about I lend you my 8100 over the winter!

:-)

Hahaha no problem leave her over!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ford 7840 View Post

There out there you just have to snap them up quick!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mur Huwcun View Post
    What's cheap? Know of a local contractors high hour 130 (04) on it's way to the dealers soon.
    There isn't really a set budget, just have to be value for money, it's for keeps so I'm not trying to make myself a few pound! Any more details of the 130 what kind of money?

155s were a brilliant tractor and a good one always makes good money! Yours range command?

155s were a brilliant tractor and a good one always makes good money! Yours range command?
    Both range command. One is standard spec, the other has terraglide and full air braking- it was specced from new to be hired to someone in Aldermaston AWE for pulling trailers, hence the pto housing on the rear shows marks where it had one of those european type hitches that bolt to the casting higher up than the std PUH it had later when we bought it.
    We did have a few problems with the latter one in the gearbox, it suffered from a worn synchro but I also found a taper bearing in the layshaft had shed some hard surfacing, taper was the cheap bit, the other half of the layshaft it ran in had to be changed, not much change out of 1500 for the shaft IIRC! Also did the control valve mod where you fit a pair of restrictors to slow down the internal rams slamming the range synchro into mesh- in reality it just a pair of grub screws with a hole drilled thru that you screw into a couple of ports and then fit the pipe fittings as normal!

Heres the gory details, some might remember them pre forum crash

Part 2!

Great pictures FF! You had any other nasty issues with them? Is the one with air brakes running on 42's? There still a really popular tractor and a great place to spend your day in. Never heard much about the control valve mod before.

Great pictures FF! You had any other nasty issues with them? Is the one with air brakes running on 42's? There still a really popular tractor and a great place to spend your day in. Never heard much about the control valve mod before.
    Just looked back at the images and that was 5th September 2010! Both are on 38's".

Ones had a couple of water pumps, the seal design/size isn't over engineered IMO and there wasn't a valid reason why the first replacement gave up not long outside of warranty.
    I have a copy of the TSB for the valve mod though the jury was out as to whether it made any difference as some seem to mess up a syncro and then others not. Ours had a tinging noise that sounded like the drive damper in the flywheel but it could be heard more from the back end as it got worse. Both are prone to the aircon trinary switch next to the compressor letting refrigerant & oil leak out of the switch internals. The engine breather/oil traps are poor designs and leak oil over the engine making a mess.
    Recently had starting problems with one that turned out to be the nylon return pipe from the injection pump to the tank sender unit had chafed thru, fitted with those new fangled squeeze to disconnect ends the new hose had 8mm at the sender and 10mm at the pump end, our had 10mm at both ends and after a lot of digging around the storeman figured out where to find our early type hose, going by the difference in prices it might of been cost effective to have a new sender unit and the far cheaper later tube

We have a few problems with air seats- usual old chestnut faults and the mirror arms could of been shorter, even right in they are way too wide! we get through a few broken glasses round here!

ive just bought the 155 that's on ebay
    they took my 2003 2400 houred tm140 in px at very strong money.

Quote Originally Posted by nick channer View Post
    ive just bought the 155 that's on ebay
    they took my 2003 2400 houred tm140 in px at very strong money.
    What's the spec on the 155? Your 140 would of been a nice one!!

What's the spec on the 155? Your 140 would of been a nice one!!
    Mine was a one off
    1 owner, only ever used to plough 300 acres a yr.
    Never had a thing on the hitch or drawbar or the pto
    very basic, man gearbox, no dual power, no electric linkage, no suspension.
    bought it to go on one our small balers and bale baron packers but think it will drive me mad with no power shift!!
    the 155 has everything except 50k I think
    lot more hours but only gonna put few 100 on it a yr so doesn't worry me

Just looked back at the images and that was 5th September 2010! Both are on 38's".

Ones had a couple of water pumps, the seal design/size isn't over engineered IMO and there wasn't a valid reason why the first replacement gave up not long outside of warranty.
    I have a copy of the TSB for the valve mod though the jury was out as to whether it made any difference as some seem to mess up a syncro and then others not. Ours had a tinging noise that sounded like the drive damper in the flywheel but it could be heard more from the back end as it got worse. Both are prone to the aircon trinary switch next to the compressor letting refrigerant & oil leak out of the switch internals. The engine breather/oil traps are poor designs and leak oil over the engine making a mess.
    Recently had starting problems with one that turned out to be the nylon return pipe from the injection pump to the tank sender unit had chafed thru, fitted with those new fangled squeeze to disconnect ends the new hose had 8mm at the sender and 10mm at the pump end, our had 10mm at both ends and after a lot of digging around the storeman figured out where to find our early type hose, going by the difference in prices it might of been cost effective to have a new sender unit and the far cheaper later tube

We have a few problems with air seats- usual old chestnut faults and the mirror arms could of been shorter, even right in they are way too wide! we get through a few broken glasses round here!
    We too have carried out this control valve restrictor mod, and have been told it may well make no difference.. Apart from having synchro issues on range command. other issues we've had are: Exhaust manifold studs shearing, spool valves sticking and cable failure, damper drive plate failure and sh1t brakes..

They're still dam good tractors though, easy to keep going, and always seem sought after so stand up well to depreciation..

We like our TM's better than the newer models.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    We too have carried out this control valve restrictor mod, and have been told it may well make no difference.. Apart from having synchro issues on range command. other issues we've had are: Exhaust manifold studs shearing, spool valves sticking and cable failure, damper drive plate failure and sh1t brakes..

They're still dam good tractors though, easy to keep going, and always seem sought after so stand up well to depreciation..

We like our TM's better than the newer models.
    What's your brake discs replacement time record down to now then!! Fair play they're the easiest to do I'm sure

have any of you had much trouble with the hydraulic tappets?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
    have any of you had much trouble with the hydraulic tappets?

We haven't, but the 155 we bought from a local mixed farm had been back to the dealer for one or more tappets to be replaced under warranty- checked out its service history before buying

02 tm140 range command, cab suspension, 13k hours, bonnet tatty but would tidy into a real nice tractor and seems to have been well enough maintained mechanically. What's she worth guys?

02 tm140 range command, cab suspension, 13k hours, bonnet tatty but would tidy into a real nice tractor and seems to have been well enough maintained mechanically. What's she worth guys?
    Depends really on tyres. Trade value with poor tyres around 8 to 9k p/x against something. With decent tyres (upto 50%) you should be able to buy one for 10ish by now. Would that be black chassis? Were the 140 available with the grey chassis? What's the exhaust like? Oil leak around spools and hyd pump? Is PUH about to fall off? Does it change nicely from B6 to C1 and back down?

Quote Originally Posted by Mur Huwcun View Post
    Depends really on tyres. Trade value with poor tyres around 8 to 9k p/x against something. With decent tyres (upto 50%) you should be able to buy one for 10ish by now. Would that be black chassis? Were the 140 available with the grey chassis? What's the exhaust like? Oil leak around spools and hyd pump? Is PUH about to fall off? Does it change nicely from B6 to C1 and back down?

Tyres would be about 30 percent so not great really! Yeah black chassis, all 140s were black chassis. Had a new exhaust and apparently the engine was rebuilt but can't be proved as she was a trade in! Also the hitch was rebushed! Gear changes are nice and smooth! Tbh I agree that you should be able to buy a tatty one for about 10k but there just not out there! Did you ever hear any more about the 130?