Thread: Best way to repair an effluent tank

Best way to repair an effluent tank

I have a tank made from a couple of rings from a howard harvest store. One of the sheets has sprung a leak, there is a hole in it about the same diameter as a pencil, a rust blister possibly?
    I have plugged up the hole and am going to empty the tank tomorrow but what is the best way to repair it? Are there any do's or don'ts? I don't fancy getting inside so anything would need to be done from the outside.
    The tank has only been up for about 10 years but obviously the sheets have had a previous life. Any opinions whether this is likely to be a one off or is the tank coming to the end of it's usefulness.

Re: Best way to repair an effluent tank

Probably best to check rest of tank.
    But to repair I would tack weld a bolt to a long rod and put a metal patch with rubber gasket over bolt. Off a ladder pass bolt down inside and through hole, get assistant to put another patch on end of bolt And tighten up. Break off rod.

Be very Wary!
    Know of one similar, proper slurry rings.....hole appeared.
    Bit of investigation....whoosh....slurry avalanche!

I would get expert advice. The thought of a panel bursting does not bear thinking about.
    Is Mick Moor on this forum as I believe he is said man
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    I would get expert advice. The thought of a panel bursting does not bear thinking about.
    Is Mick Moor on this forum as I believe he is said man
    Thanks Exfarmer, I'm here!
    Coming up to Newton Stewart to do the very same job in a few weeks time. The tank must be empty, though. I'll have a look and either repair or condemn. Best ring me, or PM and I'll ring you. Evenings are usually, quite honestly, best, but I should be around a phone until Thursday night.
    Silos, tanks, - and much more! www.mickmoor.co.uk

Thanks very much for the offer Mick. I had intended to stick a bolt through the hole with a bit of mastic and hope for the best but I have spoken with the guy who erected the tank and he is going to come out and give it a check over. He is thinking it is probably best plated from the inside. so I will just leave it till he has been out.
    Anyway thanks for the offer.