Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there an alternative to Honda when it comes to quads?

Re: Is there an alternative to Honda when it comes to quads?

Quote Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
    You can have PS on the can am 500 without going to full road legal version. You can't get PS on the Honda manual 500 currently I was told. There should be a bit to play with on those Can am prices too.
    PS?.

Quote Originally Posted by Maus View Post
    PS?.
    Oh. Power steering!

Quote Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
    Think you'll find the next 420 a fair bit dearer, unless my dealer has lost his pencil sharpener.

As I said at the beginning, Hondas haven't hurt me and I wouldn't knock them, but I liked the Can am and the price was right!
    Honda released a statement saying the new model bikes released in March were to stay at same price as the outgoing models - but iv not talked prices with the dealer to know if theyve stuck to their word.
    Cant make up my mind with the new 420 and 500 if i like them or not...

Itl maybe not matter, its the Diesel im getting out next week - dealer has one which i just dont think i can turn down, IF i manage to get on with it OK. If i go for it, i will be keeping at least 1 of the Hondas and it/they will last for years hopefully.
    If in doubt, yank it out!

Just a quick follow up to my last post:

Got the Arctic Cat diesel yesterday morning. Iv got it until Friday but my minds made up already...
    Iv never driven an auto' before - or a diesel, other than a Polaris Ranger at start of year (which i utterly hated). I went into this with an open mind, but aware of alot of negativity written on here about these bikes...

Honestly
    Yeah, its slower as the Honda 420 im used to - ofcourse it is. But watching the speedo, im still doing my rounds and checking stock at the same speeds, with plenty of legs in reserve! It may well never catch up a wild bullock but i doubt i would struggle catching ewes at lambing! Shifted the inbye sheep this morning and fetched in the hoggs this afternoon and its plenty fast and responsive enough for that. My Honda has power steering, and whilst the steering is heavier in comparison, i dont find it bad atall - reversed the trailer, fully loaded, into a tight spot on concrete no bother. It tows the trailer really well too (trailer follows it far better as behind the Honda IMO). Itl pull the trailer loaded up very steep hills just as quickly as the Honda can manage, but it is less hassle/struggle. It is a big bike - it dwarfs the 420 when side by side, but i dont think it feels that big once your driving it. Its very stable (much more as i was expecting) on the hill and a good comfy driving position.

Im getting used to the throttle and CVT, slowly, and its already becoming clear i wont want it to leave on Friday. For me, and my farm, it is a far better option then a Mule/Gator/Ranger. Im comparing it directly to the Honda 420,because that is what i use currently - and is what i will continue to use if i dont buy the diesel, especially after a conversation with a couple of shepherds last night regarding larger bikes and observed fuel usage, from experiances.

Just thought id share that with you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale Farmer View Post
    Just a quick follow up to my last post:

Got the Arctic Cat diesel yesterday morning. Iv got it until Friday but my minds made up already...
    Iv never driven an auto' before - or a diesel, other than a Polaris Ranger at start of year (which i utterly hated). I went into this with an open mind, but aware of alot of negativity written on here about these bikes...

Honestly
    Yeah, its slower as the Honda 420 im used to - ofcourse it is. But watching the speedo, im still doing my rounds and checking stock at the same speeds, with plenty of legs in reserve! It may well never catch up a wild bullock but i doubt i would struggle catching ewes at lambing! Shifted the inbye sheep this morning and fetched in the hoggs this afternoon and its plenty fast and responsive enough for that. My Honda has power steering, and whilst the steering is heavier in comparison, i dont find it bad atall - reversed the trailer, fully loaded, into a tight spot on concrete no bother. It tows the trailer really well too (trailer follows it far better as behind the Honda IMO). Itl pull the trailer loaded up very steep hills just as quickly as the Honda can manage, but it is less hassle/struggle. It is a big bike - it dwarfs the 420 when side by side, but i dont think it feels that big once your driving it. Its very stable (much more as i was expecting) on the hill and a good comfy driving position.

Im getting used to the throttle and CVT, slowly, and its already becoming clear i wont want it to leave on Friday. For me, and my farm, it is a far better option then a Mule/Gator/Ranger. Im comparing it directly to the Honda 420,because that is what i use currently - and is what i will continue to use if i dont buy the diesel, especially after a conversation with a couple of shepherds last night regarding larger bikes and observed fuel usage, from experiances.

Just thought id share that with you all.
    Interesting to hear this. What cc is the Artic Cat and how does the fuel consumption compare? The idea of being able to fill it with red is nice. How noisy is it compared to the 420? I came across a diesel Polaris 5 or 6 years ago and you could hear it coming a mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by quattro_tdi View Post
    Interesting to hear this. What cc is the Artic Cat and how does the fuel consumption compare? The idea of being able to fill it with red is nice. How noisy is it compared to the 420? I came across a diesel Polaris 5 or 6 years ago and you could hear it coming a mile away.

The polaris was a bag of nails in comparison.
    Its badged as a 700 but i think its more like 670 or 680cc... Twin cylinder Lombardini engine is very gutsy.

Cant lie it is noisy, but certainly not unbearable! Itl make no more noise as a Mule or Ranger - and from what i remember of the Ranger its no skower off the mark, but given enough road the Ranger will get to a higher top speed... but 56kph on my farm track yesterday was fast enough for me!!

Fuel consumption - i did the maths through the summer when pumps were at their highest, doing rough maths going by how often i filled up with petrol and used book figures for the diesel - using the price at pump at the time i was set to use 3500 of petrol, compared to price of red at time to do same work/milage i thought i will use around 600 of diesel. To go to petrol station for me is about a 40min round-trip, so thats another saving to consider during lambing.
    Depreciation is the killer though - itl only be worth 3000 at 2yr old compared to almost 8000 new. Dont have an exact price on new as the one im looking at had a damaged engine (sump), was under a year old, and has been completely rebuild and all wearing parts replaced.

My dealer is honest - bad points are the rubber suspension bushes are rubbish. Im currently considering trying to get poly bushes. The brake pads wear out quite quick too. Only other thing is the prop-shaft goes through the sump, with hardy splicers on either side which must be greased regularly (easy to get to). If these arnt greased, they fail causing damage to the sump. This is what happened to the one im looking at, but the engine was saved.

Honda released a statement saying the new model bikes released in March were to stay at same price as the outgoing models - but iv not talked prices with the dealer to know if theyve stuck to their word.
    Cant make up my mind with the new 420 and 500 if i like them or not...

Itl maybe not matter, its the Diesel im getting out next week - dealer has one which i just dont think i can turn down, IF i manage to get on with it OK. If i go for it, i will be keeping at least 1 of the Hondas and it/they will last for years hopefully.
    AFAIK, the Honda deisel is not a Honda, my dealer locally said when I inquired "Oh, you can get a Honda deisel, but not from me, I wont
    guarentee it "
    (THis may be outdated info)

Diesel Honda? Someones pulling your leg.

Personaly think (hope) its just a matter of time before Polaris try it again. I think Arctic Cat really need competition to kick start the development and refine the concept. We have the technology, just look at modern diesel cars! The manufacturers just need an incentive.

Hi, this has been a really interesting thread, thanks for all your input. deal done this evening. I have bought two new Can-AM outlander 500's. They worked out on a deal for deal basis to be 800 cheaper than the Honda. They should arrive in the next ten days or so.

The ride and build quality transformed this dilemma into a no-brainer in the end, the cost saving was just a bonus, I will post a pic, when they arrive! Thanks again.

Regards,

Topdown

Quote Originally Posted by topdown View Post
    Hi, this has been a really interesting thread, thanks for all your input. deal done this evening. I have bought two new Can-AM outlander 500's. They worked out on a deal for deal basis to be 800 cheaper than the Honda. They should arrive in the next ten days or so.

The ride and build quality transformed this dilemma into a no-brainer in the end, the cost saving was just a bonus, I will post a pic, when they arrive! Thanks again.

Regards,

Topdown
    Where's the 'like' button. :-)

Diesel Honda? Someones pulling your leg.

Personaly think (hope) its just a matter of time before Polaris try it again. I think Arctic Cat really need competition to kick start the development and refine the concept. We have the technology, just look at modern diesel cars! The manufacturers just need an incentive.
    Totally agree with this. If AC would put the 3 pot common rail turbo & gearbox out of the outgoing Smart car (it would fit) they'd have a complete winner.

Tried the AC a couple of times when our bike was in for service etc and although I wanted to like it, just was too cumbersome, slow and dumper-like for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Totally agree with this. If AC would put the 3 pot common rail turbo & gearbox out of the outgoing Smart car (it would fit) they'd have a complete winner.

Tried the AC a couple of times when our bike was in for service etc and although I wanted to like it, just was too cumbersome, slow and dumper-like for us.
    On the Arctic Cat forum theres a thread where a guy in the States, who has a garage of some sort (tunes diesel cars/engines by the sounds of it) tweaked the standard engine and added a turbo with great effect. Standard 'tune' is to alter the timing by 4 notches and screw in the fuel limiter screw 3-4 turns, until it puffs smoke on revving. He also said to add wheel weights to the pulley weights on transmission to make the belt engagement smoother...

All simple things, sounding. But got to wonder why AC dont do it 'out of the box'!!

I think the trick to liking this bike is to think it isnt a bike atall. Think of it as a ATV-UTV hybrid:
    The big tow capacity/ability and red diesel use of a UTV. But lighter/more handier sized and more go anywhere ability and stability, like a ATV... or have i just completely lost the plot?? Thats how im looking at it anyways.

Makes sense NF. But the arctic cat will have had to come a long way from the old polaris diesel to tempt me.

Surely electric would make sense as far as long term development is concerned? There's 1 made down this way at Ilfracombe, but I'm not so keen as to be the guinea pig. Might have have been tempted if I was generating my own electric.

I'd agree, electric is bound to be the future, there are electric motocrossers and race quads out there now, just the battery technology that needs to move on.

I've decided to go honda again, with a new 420 manual shift power steering. All these auto bikes are just too big and heavy for day to day stock checking. I can appreciate the extra build quality and strength in the Can Am and if it was the sole bike on the farm doing a lot of towing and load carrying then i can see the benefits same for the diesel bikes I guess they are like an atv/utv hybrid, but for me I prefer a light bike and an old hilux

On the Arctic Cat forum theres a thread where a guy in the States, who has a garage of some sort (tunes diesel cars/engines by the sounds of it) tweaked the standard engine and added a turbo with great effect. Standard 'tune' is to alter the timing by 4 notches and screw in the fuel limiter screw 3-4 turns, until it puffs smoke on revving. He also said to add wheel weights to the pulley weights on transmission to make the belt engagement smoother...

All simple things, sounding. But got to wonder why AC dont do it 'out of the box'!!

I think the trick to liking this bike is to think it isnt a bike atall. Think of it as a ATV-UTV hybrid:
    The big tow capacity/ability and red diesel use of a UTV. But lighter/more handier sized and more go anywhere ability and stability, like a ATV... or have i just completely lost the plot?? Thats how im looking at it anyways.
    NF what's the towing capacity like on the AC compared to the Honda? Also any other differences between the two in terms of weight and physical size? My local dealer was telling me the other week about a Kawasaki 650 he'd just had traded in with little work done at 5 years old, then another dealer about 20 miles away has an AC diesel about 3 years old, iirc, for similar money. Thinking about something bigger than my 300 for a trailed sprayer and Weedwiper.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
    I'd agree, electric is bound to be the future, there are electric motocrossers and race quads out there now, just the battery technology that needs to move on.

I've decided to go honda again, with a new 420 manual shift power steering. All these auto bikes are just too big and heavy for day to day stock checking. I can appreciate the extra build quality and strength in the Can Am and if it was the sole bike on the farm doing a lot of towing and load carrying then i can see the benefits same for the diesel bikes I guess they are like an atv/utv hybrid, but for me I prefer a light bike and an old hilux
    What price is that 420 at - have prices gone up with it being a new model?

Electric or fuel cells will no doubt be the future, but diesel should be the real short term answer - we shouldve stopped using petrol years ago... but i guess its too cheap in America still.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    NF what's the towing capacity like on the AC compared to the Honda? Also any other differences between the two in terms of weight and physical size? My local dealer was telling me the other week about a Kawasaki 650 he'd just had traded in with little work done at 5 years old, then another dealer about 20 miles away has an AC diesel about 3 years old, iirc, for similar money. Thinking about something bigger than my 300 for a trailed sprayer and Weedwiper.
    Go through my previous posts for my opinion/findings of the AC diesel so far and basic direct comparison to my Honda 420...
    Id have to check AC website for a weight figure but i think its about 500kg. And it will tow 1000kg no problem. 50kg front rack carry capacity, 100kg rear.

Iv had nothing to do with Kawasaki for 10+ years, and even then it was the KLF300, so iv no experiance of the bikes - but from what iv heard i dont think they are upto much these days. I would go for the Diesel, but youve really got to try it yourself - and dont expect it to be like a petrol.

Apologies for the slight divergance of the OP.

EDIT: AC website says the diesel weighs 393kg. So only 80-90kg more as a Honda 420 which im quite surprised at! Tow figures are 900-odd Kg with a braked trailer... and it says 100lb front carry rack, 200lb for the rear.
    Last edited by Nithsdale Farmer; 04-12-14 at 11:24 PM. Reason: added info

What price is that 420 at - have prices gone up with it being a new model?

Electric or fuel cells will no doubt be the future, but diesel should be the real short term answer - we shouldve stopped using petrol years ago... but i guess its too cheap in America still.

Go through my previous posts for my opinion/findings of the AC diesel so far and basic direct comparison to my Honda 420...
    Id have to check AC website for a weight figure but i think its about 500kg. And it will tow 1000kg no problem. 50kg front rack carry capacity, 100kg rear.

Iv had nothing to do with Kawasaki for 10+ years, and even then it was the KLF300, so iv no experiance of the bikes - but from what iv heard i dont think they are upto much these days. I would go for the Diesel, but youve really got to try it yourself - and dont expect it to be like a petrol.

Apologies for the slight divergance of the OP.

EDIT: AC website says the diesel weighs 393kg. So only 80-90kg more as a Honda 420 which im quite surprised at! Tow figures are 900-odd Kg with a braked trailer... and it says 100lb front carry rack, 200lb for the rear.
    Have been reading this from the start and hopefully the OP doesn't think it's been hijacked. I can see from your posts that you've been pleasantly surprised by the diesel AC so I hope that it continues to grow on you. I'm not in a hurry to make up my mind about a bigger bike cos I don't use it much at this time of year, so even getting a demo wouldn't show me much, have to wait until spring has sprung. Thanks for your insight.

Im even more taken with the diesel after a visit to the Honda dealership this morning... i did expect a price increase with the new models, but a1100 jump is abit much IMO.