Thread: Passwords

Passwords

Hi all
    To change the password on the laptop is a pain in the neck
    any advices around?
    looking forward to hear.

Re: Passwords

Don't have a password then, you don't have to.

Elvis
    Now a days I feel a password for computers are needed
    As you say :

I only asked, How to change the password on the laptop

I do have passwords on different machines

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Elvis
    Now a days I feel a password for computers are needed
    As you say :

I only asked, How to change the password on the laptop

I do have passwords on different machines

Would be handy to know what operating system your using?

You asked for advice, my advice was not to have a password if it causes such inconvenience.
    I don't have a password on any of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Would be handy to know what operating system your using?
    Hi
    Footsfitter
    I am using Windows 7
    with BT

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    You asked for advice, my advice was not to have a password if it causes such inconvenience.
    I don't have a password on any of mine.
    Elvis
    That sound rather risky to me

I can't think of anything on any computer of mine that would mean much to anybody else.
    There is a lot of information I wouldn't like to lose but all desperately serious documents have been emailed back to myself via gmail. I can log in via the internet to retrieve them on any machine.
    All banking details require a log in with a password, if my computers go missing I can change the passwords via the internet again. The current passwords are not written down but I accept a very good computer nerd could find them somehow from my previous logins on the hard drive. I bet I can change them first though and whoever gains access to my PC is a lot more likely to be a scally thief rather than a computer geek.

What do you think is on yours that would be of value to a thief or third party?
    The most sensitive stuff I have is likely to be on my iPhone. I can wipe that remotely if needed but it is still web based stuff anyway.

Hi
    Footsfitter
    I am using Windows 7
    with BT

Hello OT,

What do you use the password to unlock, the W7 desktop?

I assume BT is just your internet service provider? or are you logging in with BT to pick up your email?

Hello OT,

What do you use the password to unlock, the W7 desktop?

I assume BT is just your internet service provider? or are you logging in with BT to pick up your email?
    Yes Ff that's right BT emails,

Yes Ff that's right BT emails,
    OK. Do you look at your BT emails just on the one machine or on other ones as well?

If your using different PC's to look at mail then it may be easier for you to continue doing it that way as the mail is there on the BT server.

If your using just the one machine to look at/pick up email then you could use an email client program to download emails from BT's server onto your laptop/PC

OK. Do you look at your BT emails just on the one machine or on other ones as well?

If your using different PC's to look at mail then it may be easier for you to continue doing it that way as the mail is there on the BT server.

If your using just the one machine to look at/pick up email then you could use an email client program to download emails from BT's server onto your laptop/PC
    ff
    I do use the other machine from time to time.
    "as they say we must keep changing our Passwords"
    Just the best way to change the email password?

ff
    I do use the other machine from time to time.
    "as they say we must keep changing our Passwords"
    Just the best way to change the email password?

I assume it the BT Yahoo email your using? heres a YouTube video from BT on how to do it-

Pick a longish combination of letters, numbers & symbols that you can remember, the better/harder they are would mean less likelihood of them easily being cracked. maybe you could go 3-4 months between changes or just a couple of times a year then?

I can't think of anything on any computer of mine that would mean much to anybody else.
    There is a lot of information I wouldn't like to lose but all desperately serious documents have been emailed back to myself via gmail. I can log in via the internet to retrieve them on any machine.
    All banking details require a log in with a password, if my computers go missing I can change the passwords via the internet again. The current passwords are not written down but I accept a very good computer nerd could find them somehow from my previous logins on the hard drive. I bet I can change them first though and whoever gains access to my PC is a lot more likely to be a scally thief rather than a computer geek.

What do you think is on yours that would be of value to a thief or third party?
    The most sensitive stuff I have is likely to be on my iPhone. I can wipe that remotely if needed but it is still web based stuff anyway.
    No password? That just makes it easier for the nar-do-wells to take control of your machine, turn it into a "drone" and use it for hacking others - with all evidence pointing back to you. It is akin to driving into the city and leaving your car idling with the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked . . .

Not very often I take my keys out the ignition either.

Having a password on my computer makes it difficult for people to come into my house, turn on my computer and use it. It makes no difference whatsoever to a hacker if it is there or not. A hacker would get round a password in seconds and doesn't even need to come to my house.

People come to my house, get out of their car, lock the doors and turn on the alarm just to hand me a parcel. There is no other living being within at least a mile. Why do they lock their doors?
    It is sensible to avoid risk but at least have the sense to know where the risk is.

Having a password on my computer makes it difficult for people to come into my house, turn on my computer and use it. It makes no difference whatsoever to a hacker if it is there or not. A hacker would get round a password in seconds and doesn't even need to come to my house.

People come to my house, get out of their car, lock the doors and turn on the alarm just to hand me a parcel. There is no other living being within at least a mile. Why do they lock their doors?
    It is sensible to avoid risk but at least have the sense to know where the risk is.
    That isn't strictly true. A password on a Windows or Mac machine would mean the hacker would be unable to access your machine without great difficulty, unless he basically wiped the boot drive and started again.

Email passwords, are generally even more difficult to by pass or circumvent, the protocols used in even mere hotmail type services are pretty iron tight.

Of course password security does rely on you having a code word which is a bit harder to guess than just 12345678...

An elderly farmer once told me that locks are to keep honest people out

Anyone using microsoft should have the best security possible as it is the easiest operating system to hack into.

or Mac machine

Sorry to tell you this but I could bypass you password with one command if I have my hands on the machine and the same with linux

Quote Originally Posted by hillsider69 View Post
    or Mac machine

Sorry to tell you this but I could bypass you password with one command if I have my hands on the machine and the same with linux
    Passwords are more of an inconvenience to the owner than the hacker, the same as locking your car and then having to find the keys.

Because the driver would be sacked if the vehicle was not locked and was subsequently nicked or the contents nicked.

somerset uk ,my family has 12 farms in michigan usa

if you leave your keys in, then your asking for trouble you cant trust any one these days,i dont have a pass word for my computer.

I think I have a different view on locks and passwords than most then. I rarely use either and know full well that neither make much difference.

I think I have a different view on locks and passwords than most then. I rarely use either and know full well that neither make much difference.
    Elvis
    You aren't living in a Lighthouse in the middle of the Atlantic somewhere are you?

OT

No.
    It's a little bit hidden and out of the way but not as remote as I would like.
    I have had my house broken into before now and it is a very unpleasant experience. Not so much for what goes missing but much more for the thought of intruders being in your home.
    I found out who did it and went with some "friends" and got my stuff back. I appreciate not many can do this.

My door wasn't locked but if it was they would just have broken the window and made more mess.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsider69 View Post
    or Mac machine Sorry to tell you this but I could bypass you password with one command if I have my hands on the machine and the same with linux
    I mentioned this thread to a friend of mine who hasn't used microsoft since 2007,he is also a computer nerd and uses linux/ubuntu,he disagrees with the quote above re. linux and sent the following . And people wonder why there are over 17 million hacker-controlled computers (in the USA - no official figures for the rest of the world)...

Just edit grub boot script during start up, dead easy, did it first in about 2000.
    Google how to do it and reset root pw