Thread: DIY new shed

DIY new shed

Hi was thinking of making a shed myself was just wondering how to work out how to cut the steel on different angles. Say you had a lean to it was 20 ft wide n 11ft on one side n 16ft on the other how do you work out what length to cut the steel?

Re: DIY new shed

Google pythagoras theorem.

your triangle in a way would be 20foot across bottom and 5 foot high. all angles inside a triangle add up to 180 degrees and you already know that one of them is a square angle of 90
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

Is there any calculators for building sheds or apps out there?

Quote Originally Posted by massey mad View Post
    Is there any calculators for building sheds or apps out there?
    if you are using new steel most suppliers will cut it for you to the correct angle , believe most shed manufacturers buy it ready cut

I thought there were new EU rules that say you have to hold certificates to manufacture sheds, or is that only if you are selling them? I certainly hope so, I've seen plenty of home built sheds that would put many well known manufacturers to shame. Seen a few strangely shaped ones only held together with snotters and chewing gum as well though

To work out length of truss you need to know the pitch most agri sheds would be 12.5 deg. Determin width of shed in metric then enter into formula eg. 3m wide 3000mm/12.5 cos : length of truss : 3072mm. Take away thickness of endplates 10 or 12mm : 3072-10: 3062 . For this you would need a ubeam cut at 12.5 deg measuring 3062mm long to short.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    I thought there were new EU rules that say you have to hold certificates to manufacture sheds, or is that only if you are selling them? I certainly hope so, I've seen plenty of home built sheds that would put many well known manufacturers to shame. Seen a few strangely shaped ones only held together with snotters and chewing gum as well though
    There are. Every single component has to be CE marked, includig nuts and bolts. Fabricated parts have to be inspected by a trained inspector, (training cost 2,000, + annual refresher) who does nothing else. However, the rules are enforced by trading standards, not an overstaffed body, and so transgressions will probably only come to light if a shed collapses, or a purchaser makes a complaint.
    There was no profit in making and selling sheds before; we gave up a few years ago.
    Silos, tanks, - and much more! www.mickmoor.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by MickMoor View Post
    There are. Every single component has to be CE marked, includig nuts and bolts. Fabricated parts have to be inspected by a trained inspector, (training cost 2,000, + annual refresher) who does nothing else. However, the rules are enforced by trading standards, not an overstaffed body, and so transgressions will probably only come to light if a shed collapses, or a purchaser makes a complaint.
    There was no profit in making and selling sheds before; we gave up a few years ago.
    A bit more information has come to light. The regulation clearly uses the words "in series production". I take that to mean that the fabricator will be producing more than one.
    Silos, tanks, - and much more! www.mickmoor.co.uk

Would that mean the CE regulations only come into effect when you produce the parts in a production line like a factory? Oris it you get away with making one then they have to be made to the EN 1090 standard.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

I looked into this a little recently. Trading Standards are the regulators, so I rang them up to see if I was allowed to manufacture a steel framed building for my own use, their first response was that they didn't know, they got back in touch after a few days and said that so long as it was for my own use that it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Ted View Post
    I looked into this a little recently. Trading Standards are the regulators, so I rang them up to see if I was allowed to manufacture a steel framed building for my own use, their first response was that they didn't know, they got back in touch after a few days and said that so long as it was for my own use that it was fine.

Get it in writing from them and see if they're still singing the same song!

PS I don't know anything about it but interested to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Get it in writing from them and see if they're still singing the same song!

PS I don't know anything about it but interested to find out.
    Worth asking your insurer as well ,with small print being such a cop out these days.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.