Thread: Best sprayer- options?

Best sprayer- options?

1200 acre mixed farm, some cereals, maize, grassland plus outside contracting (again, same kind of workload). This is Somerset so 24m tramlines and field sizes start from small up to say 30 acres. Intention is to add a tad more work either rented land or contracting in future.

A few questions. Stick with existing front/rear mounted combination, or move to a bigger trailed machine, or, can we justify an Agri buggy on this?

Re: Best sprayer- options?

depends on a few things, tractor size and availability, distance to travel, tank mixes, on our 1100ac mixed we had a front and rear 2000L 20m system but it was a pain the arse to put on and off, so it would tie a tractor up when it was on for a while, but handy for different mixes ie on headlands different to main part of field also only 2 sets of wheels, went onto a 24m 3000L trailed machine after the back part fell off 1 day!!!!, it's a lot easier to put on and off so doesn't realy tie the tractor up also it can fit onto any of our tractors rather than just 1 that was piped up for the front/rear combo, spray more in a tank full but not as handy if wanting to do separate mixes on headlands, also another set of wheels, often thaught a sp would be handy so it's ready to use just by jumping on any time but justifying the cost of 1 is a different matter

All depends what you can repair yourself and what you can stand to be seen in. I have a Clayton crusader 4wd 24m 2000 litre that was 10k. I have a lot less acres than your example but you just jump on and go. I see people tying an expensive tractor up all season with front and back tanks that are a git to take off and on, so you might as well go the whole hog.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    1200 acre mixed farm, some cereals, maize, grassland plus outside contracting (again, same kind of workload). This is Somerset so 24m tramlines and field sizes start from small up to say 30 acres. Intention is to add a tad more work either rented land or contracting in future.

A few questions. Stick with existing front/rear mounted combination, or move to a bigger trailed machine, or, can we justify an Agri buggy on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedyears View Post
    All depends what you can repair yourself and what you can stand to be seen in. I have a Clayton crusader 4wd 24m 2000 litre that was 10k. I have a lot less acres than your example but you just jump on and go. I see people tying an expensive tractor up all season with front and back tanks that are a git to take off and on, so you might as well go the whole hog.
    Like wastedyears says. Convenience is one of the big deciding factors. Along obviously with cost. New or used machine?
    I have roughly half your acres and race over them with a 13yr old Agribuggy. The convenience of just jumping on and going, instead of perhaps removing the fertiliser spreader before mounting the sprayer etc onto the tractor means that I can already have 30 acres under the booms with the time I have saved.
    Self props in my experience can also travel in conditions that other options would struggle with.
    There's just so many options you have to consider.
    Looking out for the next holiday.

I do think the time will come when a dedicated machine will be bought because due to the nature of the rotation, the sprayer doesn't get a lot of time off before it is in action again. As good as a modern CVT tractor is, front and rear tanks must be a ball ache to work with. I suspect it will be a trailed machine or a demount type unit next, I was wondering if the self propelled option would make more sense, particularly if a switch was made to liquid fert.

If he's going to look at a demount I take it you mean a fastrac and sprayer??? He's then better of getting a 2nd hand SP,
    Reason--- our demount never comes of any more , so the alleged saving of the "extra" tractor is a myth, , I take it they don't grow spuds???
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Buy whatever makes the job easiest for you, if it turns out more than budget allows hold off for a while or put off buying something else.
    Buying a machine on price is often not a cheap option.

Hope you don't mind me jumping on to this. I have a similar situation, roughly 700 acre mixed farm. Currently have a 1998 knight s/p sprayer that needs to go. We also have three tractors which for our size is a luxury but it does make life a lot easier being mixed and only me and dad running it all.

We were planning to do a simple swap for something younger but with our budget (30-35K) there isn't much in that range that hasn't done a lot of hours and is at least 10 yrs old. I don't want to go down the mounted or trailed root, had a mounted and it was horrible to get on/off and the linkage wore out and developed cracks a lot. I don't like the idea of a trailed with all the weight on one axle and three sets of tyres to change.

Only other option is a fastrac with demount, second hand I could pick up something 3/4yrs old with 3000 hrs plus good sprayer for 60k, plus I can put one of the tractors against it as well. I reckon I could work it so I only have take it on/off twice a year. Is it excessive for our acreage? And should I accept having an older s/p is more convenient or is it better to spend a bit more to modernise and have potentially better machines all round. Also by swapping 2 for 1, its one less tractor to replace in the long run, so one less machine on finance??

Just bear in we're on heavy london clay, when it gets wet, it stays wet. Autumn and spring windows can be short, so larger capacity helps.

Hope that all makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by rob230580 View Post
    Hope you don't mind me jumping on to this. I have a similar situation, roughly 700 acre mixed farm. Currently have a 1998 knight s/p sprayer that needs to go. We also have three tractors which for our size is a luxury but it does make life a lot easier being mixed and only me and dad running it all.

We were planning to do a simple swap for something younger but with our budget (30-35K) there isn't much in that range that hasn't done a lot of hours and is at least 10 yrs old. I don't want to go down the mounted or trailed root, had a mounted and it was horrible to get on/off and the linkage wore out and developed cracks a lot. I don't like the idea of a trailed with all the weight on one axle and three sets of tyres to change.

Only other option is a fastrac with demount, second hand I could pick up something 3/4yrs old with 3000 hrs plus good sprayer for 60k, plus I can put one of the tractors against it as well. I reckon I could work it so I only have take it on/off twice a year. Is it excessive for our acreage? And should I accept having an older s/p is more convenient or is it better to spend a bit more to modernise and have potentially better machines all round. Also by swapping 2 for 1, its one less tractor to replace in the long run, so one less machine on finance??

Just bear in we're on heavy london clay, when it gets wet, it stays wet. Autumn and spring windows can be short, so larger capacity helps.

Hope that all makes sense
    If you can afford the fastrac and demount work away, I recon you mgth fancy your SP when it's gone, don't get rid of a tractor unless you have too,,, even handier to leave an implement on when your busy especially if it's only you n dad,,
    its not a massive chore taking a demount sprayer off,,, it's a pain in the Arse taking the PTO mounted pump off on your own,,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster