Thread: Ford 4600

Ford 4600

I Have a Ford 4600 on the farm as a Yard Scraper Tractor (Damn good one)

Can someone tell me where the rear axle oil level check bolt is? There is no dipstick...???

There is a dipstick and level bolt on the gearbox, but I'm struggling to find one on the back axle

Re: Ford 4600

I have a v reg 4600 with a lambourne cab and I'm reasonably sure that it has neither a dipstick or a level plug! The owners manual shows and refers too checking the oil level on a dipstick???

Find the hydraulic pump and you will see there is a small, steel, sqaure headed plug which has a tapered thread and goes directly into the aluminum hydraulic pump casting.

This is your level plug.....it will always be there

It would be very close to the floor foot plate if you have the old style tin cab......it can take some finding if scraper tractor has not been washed for a while

Well your right about it might be hard to find having been on a scraper for a while ;-)

Had a good brush round the pump, defo NO square headed level plug on the Alloy Pump Plate.... BUT wire brush round each bolt and the front bolt on the Hydraulic Pump Mounting plate Looks to have a copper washer on it.... does that imply that this is a level plug? I'll try get a picture uploaded

On the Ford 4000 with independent PTO, level plug is located in the body of the hydraulic pump.Seem to remember it was at floor level, which made it difficult to locate and check.

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    Well your right about it might be hard to find having been on a scraper for a while ;-)

Had a good brush round the pump, defo NO square headed level plug on the Alloy Pump Plate.... BUT wire brush round each bolt and the front bolt on the Hydraulic Pump Mounting plate Looks to have a copper washer on it.... does that imply that this is a level plug? I'll try get a picture uploaded

This is what your after.

Quote Originally Posted by Newholland View Post

This is what your after.
    Blimey, lift and twist hand/park brake mounting, less the important bit! Only ever saw one ford with one of those fitted, may of been a S-O-S demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Blimey, lift and twist hand/park brake mounting, less the important bit! Only ever saw one ford with one of those fitted, may of been a S-O-S demonstrator
    Have a 4000 in the yard at the minute with that park brake.Also has the dry disc handbrake on the other side.Also preforce bonnet and force nose cone and big engine oil filter. Would it actually be a force or preforce or a bitsa?

Nope I can confirm mine does NOT have that bolt.... maybe the 4600's didn't have that..???

Have taken some pics - the old girl is in work mode mind so excuse the cow yard camouflage!

Here we go try this link and you should see a pic of the tractor and the pump....

http://1drv.ms/1s7XhGb

Just incase the link didn't work

And

There is a raised bit on the casting BUT its definitely NOT a broken stud or anything - NOTE the copper washer on the bolt at the front?????

Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    Have a 4000 in the yard at the minute with that park brake.Also has the dry disc handbrake on the other side.Also preforce bonnet and force nose cone and big engine oil filter. Would it actually be a force or preforce or a bitsa?
    We have one at work aswell. Large engine oil filter. Coughs, splutters ans smokes like there's no tommorow on startup but won't die!! It's got the axla type PUH, done about a million and two hours!!!
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

Not sure what to say! - maybe you have a sparex or vapormatic replacement pump fitted perhapse? On the 4610, they had a very obvious dip stick on the left side of the back axle, going just infront / above of the brake actuator rods, I guess yours doesnt have this dip stick hiding under the protective winter slurry coating?

Anyhow, at least you can see where the level is ment to be - your bolt with the copper washer would be absolutely fine as a level plug, its not much of an issue either way - if I were you, I would undo it and make sure you have oil to that level.

As you mentioned before, you already know the gear box is seperate oil level.

A scraper tractor getting a service?...what is going on in the world!......or maybe the scraper wont lift and tractor has been driven round for 6months with scraper constanly down!

Yeah believe it or not I put new ball joints through the steering too, so the wheels actually turn with the steering wheel.... For a scraper tractor that's pretty impressive!!

I'm gonna drop all the oils and replace as they have not been done in my memory, could be a replacement pump, again I cant remember it ever being done and it's been in the family for over 20 years.... we did fit a criss-cross engine when the original went pourus...

There is some writing on the pump so I'll try have a look when I do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Only one that works on our pre force 5000 (standard gearbox)

the level plug is to the rear of the pump, i get to it from the back of the tractor as i have the same 4600 on a v plate, cant remember whether it is a square head, or an allen key bolt, but i seem to remember that i have welded a 13mm nut to it to aid removal, if i get a chance i will see if i can get a pic for you tommorow

sorry it was above the pump

the one my knife is resting on, as i said, cant remember what head on the bolt, but a 13mm on mine now

Ahh will have a scratch under there and see if I can see that.....

Did your's have front linkage on it for something???

Its the bracket for a atkinson snow plough i have, it cost me a tenner 20 years ago and its very handy for clearing light snow on the road for the milk tanker, got a large shmit vee plough for the big snow ! ( that one goes on the 7610)

Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    I saw a 5000 over here (Ireland) with some 6x bits and some 6y bits, it was built around the changeover time 1968? when there were still some 6x bits to be used up and the new 6y tractors had started production. Perhaps yours is the same? The 5000 I saw had mostly the old tinwork. Can you work out the dates on the castings? Another possibility is that an older engine was fitted to your tractor at some stage.