Thread: Ford 8630 Dual power.

Ford 8630 Dual power.

I would welcome opinions on this machine. I am after a heavy reliable easily maintained "non electronic type" of tractor. Road speed is unimportant. I would like a light clutch, light steering, effective brakes and a reliable and effective handbrake. A substantial "bears jaw" pick up hitch is essential. Hook type pick up hitch is unsuitable for what I do, (Large hydraulic boat transporter). I cannot tell from the pictures what type of hitch this tractor is carrying. Can someone who is familiar with this perhaps enlighten me. What about the price?.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-8630-...item4ae1975c46
    Last edited by robbie956xl; 12-12-14 at 08:31 PM.

Re: Ford 8630 Dual power.

Zero Feedback!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maico490 View Post
    Zero Feedback!!!!!!!
    Appreciate what you say Maico490, regards ebay score, and thank you for that, but I'm not worried about that as the only way I would buy this is by travelling over and meeting the vendor face to face. There's no way I would even consider dealing for this by feebay. It's information/advice about this type of tractor that I am after, and full explanation about whatever hitch is fitted to it etc etc, plus what is the realistic value ??.

Looks like some kind of home brew hitch , rest of tractor almost looks too good. You are about at retail price at the get go IMO so would be no worse looking for one at a dealer.

Been repainted. Hitch original I think.Mechanical gearbox a plus. Never driven one so don't know how heavy the clutch is.As for the hand/foot brakes you'll have to go and look at it.Those tractors are built like steamrollers, but it's a secondhand tractor with 7000hrs on the clock................

As already said, if looked after these are bomb proof.
    The 8630 was essentially a powershift gearbox tractor but early options were given for a dual power gearbox, hence the small amount built. It is a newer version of the tw15. Around 136hp, the only real problem you may come across is a porus block but not as common by this age. As long as it has had good coolant and filters it should be ok.
    The hitch is called an ARM hitch. In my opinion it is the best hitch ever produced for these tractors and it hydraulically powers down and you can lift the back of the tractor off the ground if needs be.
    Valuation is about right, possibly even very reasonable if that paint work is original, but it isn't as you can see the brush marks down the door frames. check round the cab and doors for repairs to tin work. Also incorrect lights on the front.
    Dependant on age of clutch etc, but shouldn't be too heavy.

I stand to be corrected as its difficult to tell from a picture but I don't think this is an original dual power, but a powershift with a mechanical box fitted. It has the wrong floor mat!

Are you VAT registered?

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyjim View Post
    As already said, if looked after these are bomb proof.
    The 8630 was essentially a powershift gearbox tractor but early options were given for a dual power gearbox, hence the small amount built. It is a newer version of the tw15. Around 136hp, the only real problem you may come across is a porus block but not as common by this age. As long as it has had good coolant and filters it should be ok.
    The hitch is called an ARM hitch. In my opinion it is the best hitch ever produced for these tractors and it hydraulically powers down and you can lift the back of the tractor off the ground if needs be.
    Valuation is about right, possibly even very reasonable if that paint work is original, but it isn't as you can see the brush marks down the door frames. check round the cab and doors for repairs to tin work. Also incorrect lights on the front.
    Dependant on age of clutch etc, but shouldn't be too heavy.

I stand to be corrected as its difficult to tell from a picture but I don't think this is an original dual power, but a powershift with a mechanical box fitted. It has the wrong floor mat!

Are you VAT registered?

I stand to be corrected as its difficult to tell from a picture but I don't think this is an original dual power, but a powershift with a mechanical box fitted
    Certainly has the corner cutout in the mat to fit round the gearbox controlbox & stuff. What made me wonder about its pedigree was the lack of the rail round the gear levers with the little pressed steel catch to click the range lever in to lock the transmission?

Not sure about what clutch cover it may have seeing it may not be an exfactory DP, but TW's used a paddle friction plate and when nearly clapped could be prone to shedding a segment which can cause a heart rendering moment when the clutch is down and she doesn't want to stop!! Would class TW as moderate heavy clutch pedal even when they are really worn and the linkage is all working hard.

Powers steering pumps can wear but are easy and relatively cheap to replace.

Yes I'm VAT registered. Hard to know what to say now. Somethings positive, but starting to think the tractor maybe has a "bitsa" heritage. Thanks for all the inputs so far.

Where are you based

Where are you based
    In Northern Ireland.

What about this tractor. It's not too far from me. Hope to have a look at it this week.
    http://www.alexandertractors.com/inventory/ford-tw-15/

Looks very good. Step missing off one side.

I have a tw15 for sale not quite as tidy as your last one but very origional. It will be about 9k but im in county durham.

Looks very good. Step missing off one side.

I have a tw15 for sale not quite as tidy as your last one but very origional. It will be about 9k but im in county durham.
    Is TW15 generally a decent reliable machine. Anything specific I should look out for ?. Is block porosity likely.

In my opinion yes. they have certainly stood the test of time. Some good, some bad of course. That 8630 has every chance of being a good machine. I had one a few years ago, as when the powershift transmission needs an overhaul, it sometimes worked out cheaper to fit a manual box, so people did.

Look out for front axle pivot wear, lack of brakes due to oil ring failure, bad connections in the digital dash and specifically rot in the cab.

What sort of gearbox has the TW15 ?. (Is it reliable ?)

Quote Originally Posted by robbie956xl View Post
    I would welcome opinions on this machine. I am after a heavy reliable easily maintained "non electronic type" of tractor. Road speed is unimportant. I would like a light clutch, light steering, effective brakes and a reliable and effective handbrake. A substantial "bears jaw" pick up hitch is essential. Hook type pick up hitch is unsuitable for what I do, (Large hydraulic boat transporter). I cannot tell from the pictures what type of hitch this tractor is carrying. Can someone who is familiar with this perhaps enlighten me. What about the price?.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-8630-...item4ae1975c46
    yes, that has had a mechanical gearbox fitted in place of powershift. could be fine, or not.

very

I also think if you buy a tw it wont depreciate.

Our E reg 25 in the quarry has done 17,000hrs so far, not touched the gearbox yet The TW20 before it did about the same again, no gearbox problems. Even the Dual power has been ok.

Went and had a look at the TW15 today, should have stayed home and done some work !, You would need to be a contender for "worlds strongest man" to depress the clutch. The gear stick (one nearest driver) needed two hands on it to move it, it was so stiff, and in spite of my best efforts, I could not get the thing into gear. There was some sort of cobbled up electrical switch bodged onto the other gear lever. Bare wires taped to the gear lever were hanging adjacent to this strange switch. The engine started easily enough (with a jump start), but I could see no sign of any dash instrumentation whatsoever, (possibly a digital dash in an earlier life). The doors seemed bigger than the door openings, but did not appear to be rotten. The tractor had clearly been steamwashed so there is no way of knowing how many leaks etc there are. The rear window is the most akward hinged in the middle affair and it would not stay in the open position. In another way, I'm glad I went to see this this tractor it has simply convinced me that my current 1985 956XL is a "Rolls Royce" in compare, despite its "Slightly heavy clutch", and "slightly heavy steering". I am more tempted to have the clutch and steering issues rectified on my current machine than ever, having seen the type of money being asked for suitable replacements.

Went and had a look at the TW15 today, should have stayed home and done some work !, You would need to be a contender for "worlds strongest man" to depress the clutch. The gear stick (one nearest driver) needed two hands on it to move it, it was so stiff, and in spite of my best efforts, I could not get the thing into gear. There was some sort of cobbled up electrical switch bodged onto the other gear lever. Bare wires taped to the gear lever were hanging adjacent to this strange switch. The engine started easily enough (with a jump start), but I could see no sign of any dash instrumentation whatsoever, (possibly a digital dash in an earlier life). The doors seemed bigger than the door openings, but did not appear to be rotten. The tractor had clearly been steamwashed so there is no way of knowing how many leaks etc there are. The rear window is the most akward hinged in the middle affair and it would not stay in the open position. In another way, I'm glad I went to see this this tractor it has simply convinced me that my current 1985 956XL is a "Rolls Royce" in compare, despite its "Slightly heavy clutch", and "slightly heavy steering". I am more tempted to have the clutch and steering issues rectified on my current machine than ever, having seen the type of money being asked for suitable replacements.
    That 8630 is a bodgeup job.The blue gear levers etc mentioned above give it away. A proper tw15 would be fine.

You abvously saw a bad one. Gear leavers shouldnt be tight nor should the clutch. Switch will probably be a bodged dual power switch. Window is as you say but new gas strutts would keep it up.

There is a TW20 at Roy perfect ltd near me. I know nothing about the tractor but he has it up at 5400. I wouldn't mind betting that 4500 might bag it. Its been there a while , I just bought a digger off him, good guy to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by wastedyears View Post
    There is a TW20 at Roy perfect ltd near me. I know nothing about the tractor but he has it up at 5400. I wouldn't mind betting that 4500 might bag it. Its been there a while , I just bought a digger off him, good guy to deal with.
    Looks like it's already 4500...
    http://www.royperfect.com/SALES/2014JUNE/FordTW20.htm

Being in Ireland I'm sure you could find plenty to choose of a Same Antares 110 or 130. Ideal for your job, light hydraulic clutch, 54 gears with a synchro shuttle. Find one with mechanical hydraulics and the only electrics you'll have will be the hand throttle control and they're no bother and better than the mechanical version. Nice easily accessed cab with plenty of weight and torque to pull and push!!
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

There's a TW20 on used cars NI in Coleraine @ 4250

http://www.usedcarsni.com/Ford-TW20-137835436

I haven't driven a tw, but would have thought a 956 xl would be a more modern tractor with a lighter hydraulic clutch.
    Does the TW have a hydraulic clutch?

As an aside, Tractors in a dealers yard which have been steam washed and parked immediately, often seize up the linkages, and may just need a bit of oil.
    But if the cab on your 956 is good, You would be as well sorting it out

My 956xl is the 1985 red/cream version, which I understand does not rot the cab as badly as the later red/black versions. The cab on mine is virtually rot free. My 956xl has a cable operated clutch, (same as the TW15), but I have thought about making up a hydraulic clutch operation system.

I have never driven another 956xl so I do not know if the clutch is heavy because of any fault or simply because of the design of the system. Perhaps my tractor needs a new clutch ?. The clutch does not slip nor do the gears grind between shifts by the way. Only criticism I have with the clutch on mine is if you are trying to "inch" backwards, say to pick up a trailer with the hitch, you lift the clutch pedal slightly and nothing, ease up slightly more on the pedal, still nothing, try to ease it just a tiny fraction more and wallop, the tractor jumps back 12 - 18 inches. I would be interested on opinions about these tendencies ?.

Interested in the suggestion about the Same 130. Are they really a reputable machine. I see a very nice looking one locally for sale, but honestly, I have never considered one of them for some reason.

My 956xl is the 1985 red/cream version, which I understand does not rot the cab as badly as the later red/black versions. The cab on mine is virtually rot free. My 956xl has a cable operated clutch, (same as the TW15), but I have thought about making up a hydraulic clutch operation system.

I have never driven another 956xl so I do not know if the clutch is heavy because of any fault or simply because of the design of the system. Perhaps my tractor needs a new clutch ?. The clutch does not slip nor do the gears grind between shifts by the way. Only criticism I have with the clutch on mine is if you are trying to "inch" backwards, say to pick up a trailer with the hitch, you lift the clutch pedal slightly and nothing, ease up slightly more on the pedal, still nothing, try to ease it just a tiny fraction more and wallop, the tractor jumps back 12 - 18 inches. I would be interested on opinions about these tendencies ?.

Interested in the suggestion about the Same 130. Are they really a reputable machine. I see a very nice looking one locally for sale, but honestly, I have never considered one of them for some reason.
    I'd be inclined to say that you have a fault with your clutch with those symtomps. Never done a 6cyl nash one but usually a heavy clutch is the thrust bearing carrier sticking to the sliding tube due to either rust or dirt/clutch dust sticking to the grease causing it to stick/become stiff. Do the 6 cyls one have an inspection plate underneath? An uncontrollable clutch also sounds like it's got oil on the plate, can you slip it for a minute or two to try and burn the oil off to see if it's any better?

Have a look at the Same, see what you think. Air cooled engine, not much to go wrong, clutch as in any will depend on previous drivers so will the shuttle Synchros so check them thoroughly, hydraulic flow a bit low compared to modern standards but comparable to 956. Will have better visibility from cab so just comes down to personal preferences.
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

Do the red and cream 956 etc have grease nipples on the clutch cross shaft ? our 1056 and 844 do just a thought because of their location hidden under the cab and prob a layer of crap I ll bet a few never see grease, was just a thought when you mention the clutch being stiff ours are all reasonably good

She relisted now........................ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-8630-...-/321619063962