Thread: Massey ferguson 550 diff removal

Massey ferguson 550 diff removal

Hi I wondering has anybody done this job before as I'm going to remove the left rear trumpet as the crown wheel will be on this side of the pinion but I'm unsure what happens with the diff lock fork mechanism over at the right hand trumpet, do I need to take the right hand trumpet off aswell?

Re: Massey ferguson 550 diff removal

Now Then..
    You can do as you say, the diff locking collar stays on the other half shaft as I recall.
    Once upon a time, I replaced the draft link pins in a MF135 by removing one trumpet & crown wheel, nothing fell out or went disastrously wrong!!! :-)

Iirc the coupler will stay in place as the rh half shaft will still be there and so will the diff lock fork.

Thanks got diff out tonight now an needing a new pinion and crown wheel the rear pinion bearing collapsed and must have been making pinion flex so teeth then eventually gave up. Well am hoping that's what's done it

I take it the 550 will have the same crown wheel and pinion as a 135 am see agriline has 2 listed but there not saying 550 but are saying 135 and 240. When I lifted out the right hand trumpet there's a cast bracket thing bolted to it and I've cracked it I'm not sure what the techincal name for it would be am thinking it's to stop the oil spraying off the crown wheel but I could be wrong

Is that bracket not a chute to collect oil and channel it onto the pinion

Quote Originally Posted by MF-ANDY View Post
    Is that bracket not a chute to collect oil and channel it onto the pinion
    I found new ones for sale 50 they call them thrust brackets. Got top cover off today but stuck now al need to buy a manual am not sure how to remove the pinion as it has 2 gears on it going down to the pto shaft am only wondering has the pto pack got to come out to make room, I've slid back the collar and taken out drive shaft

Pretty sure you will have to split the centre housing from the back of the gearbox and remove the pumps and pack to get that double gear off

A was kind of thinking that. Another thing I've spotted is the pto brake has worn a groove in the hub now i just got the tractor with faulty diff but I forgot to check the pto was stopping and starting before I stripped it so I'm unsure what's going on here it's almost like the pto is running with the brake on

That's very common. There were many modifications in that area. It would be worth stripping the pack you might find the discs are warped causing drag

Quote Originally Posted by MF-ANDY View Post
    That's very common. There were many modifications in that area. It would be worth stripping the pack you might find the discs are warped causing drag
    Got the back end out and stripped today the metal flange that's bolted it the casing that holds the pinion has broken the bit in the middle that's between the 2 bearings and the pto pack seems okay inside plates look good but why would the brake be doing so much braking against the drum almost like it's driving while brake is on but as I say I forgot to look when it was going