Thread: John Deere 1030 starting help?

John Deere 1030 starting help?

Tried starting my 1979 John Deere 1030 but all I got was a whirring noise. I stopped after a minute as the lead from the batteries to the starter was red hot. Is this something that I can rectify myself or do I go and look for help?

Re: John Deere 1030 starting help?

Was the "whirring noise" the sound of the starter motor turning without the starter drive / bendix engaging with the flywheel? How long has it been sitting?

It could be the starter drive / bendix gone south - sometimes if the machine has been sitting for a while (months) the bendix will get "dry" and a few light taps the the wooden end of a hammer will get it going.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Tried starting my 1979 John Deere 1030 but all I got was a whirring noise. I stopped after a minute as the lead from the batteries to the starter was red hot. Is this something that I can rectify myself or do I go and look for help?
    One like this??

Usually if it whirrs then there could be 2 scenarios, because you say the lead gets really hot it sounds like something serious may of happened to the pinion that slides along the motors shaft and engages its teeth with those on the flywheel, sounds like it may of sheared or broken/fractured so as it slides forward it isn't actually engaging with the flywheel which in turn allows the motor to race drawing a fair current that over a long stint like yours heats power leads.

The 2nd scenario is when the pinion slides down the shaft it should be slowly rotating to make the teeth mesh/line up easily, it is possible for the solenoid to push the gear towards meshing but not reach the final stage. When it hits home it then changes from rotating the shaft slowly to align teeth to giving it full power, if there is something internal to the starter stopping full travel then it can run the motor on the start windings but I would of been surprised for something like this to heat a heavy cable very easily

I'd consider taking the starter off to look at the pinion, if all is well there, clean the shaft an apply some light oil sparingly then put it back and try that....

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Was the "whirring noise" the sound of the starter motor turning without the starter drive / bendix engaging with the flywheel? How long has it been sitting?

It could be the starter drive / bendix gone south - sometimes if the machine has been sitting for a while (months) the bendix will get "dry" and a few light taps the the wooden end of a hammer will get it going.
    Not too sure what the noise was as I was in the cab. I will have to get someone to try to start and I will listen near the starter. Although the tractor can be idle for weeks it was working ok on the day of the problem. I will try your remedy. Thank you for your help and best wishes fro 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    One like this??

Usually if it whirrs then there could be 2 scenarios, because you say the lead gets really hot it sounds like something serious may of happened to the pinion that slides along the motors shaft and engages its teeth with those on the flywheel, sounds like it may of sheared or broken/fractured so as it slides forward it isn't actually engaging with the flywheel which in turn allows the motor to race drawing a fair current that over a long stint like yours heats power leads.

The 2nd scenario is when the pinion slides down the shaft it should be slowly rotating to make the teeth mesh/line up easily, it is possible for the solenoid to push the gear towards meshing but not reach the final stage. When it hits home it then changes from rotating the shaft slowly to align teeth to giving it full power, if there is something internal to the starter stopping full travel then it can run the motor on the start windings but I would of been surprised for something like this to heat a heavy cable very easily

I'd consider taking the starter off to look at the pinion, if all is well there, clean the shaft an apply some light oil sparingly then put it back and try that....
    Thank you for your suggestions I will investigate further and if necessary remove the starter and have a good look. Thanks for your help. Best wishes for 2015