Thread: Concrete railway sleepers as a road?

Concrete railway sleepers as a road?

Has anyone used concrete sleepers as a roadway for tractors etc? always hear about them as cow tracks, but not so much for tractor use...
    Only talking a hunderd yards or so for use with, 2000g slurry tanker & forage wagon, feed deliveries. will they move/settle/crack, are they wide enough?
    Any advice welcome.

Re: Concrete railway sleepers as a road?

if you have a good sub base they will never move or crack. Very cheap for the end product. Quite rough to drive over with car but tractor not so bad. You can lay them to make the track as wide as you like if you put some long ways and some short ways.

Several years ago i was at a farm trailering silage with a sleeper roadway that wasn't fit to drive on it was so damn rough. I too would be interested to know if anyone has done a good job with sleepers as i like the cost and ease of installation but would rather bite the bullet and lay concrete than make an arse of the job.

We have used a few for hard standing, and they do work. There was a video on you tube of a bloke putting them down with a 360 but I can't find it

If you search sleeper laying on you tube you will get it straight away.

It's our very own V12 Cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaYfrcfVLA4

Use them for a feed passage,hardstanding for scraping muck onto outside shed,shed floor and on our sand and gravel type soil they have never moved in 25 years.If you are concerned about "soft" soils,lay 2 lines of sleepers 8' apart longways on and countersunk in the ground, and put the rest across them.I did this on our first feeding stance,the next I didn't,you cannot tell the difference,so every thing since has been just laid straight on the ground.If there is movement because you didn't level right,lift the offending sleeper,shovel in sand or dig out, drop back.

and making a very tidy looking job of it too, i take it they where just for animals only ??
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Farm drive, been down 6 years but it was put down on top of existing base (less 8 inches stripped off)

Quote Originally Posted by moffett View Post

Farm drive, been down 6 years but it was put down on top of existing base (less 8 inches stripped off)
    i like the look of that, think the sides lengthways on makes it look smarter, as well as getting the extra width. Did you stake the side ones in place, or just backfill with soil?

The middle of the sleepers looks a little thinner than the edges that shouldn't be a problem on a straight road as they wont get much weight on the Center but on a corner or in a yard would they not crack the Centre ?
    If they had a bit of stone under the middle that would add some support so reduce the chance of cracking is snapping in the middle an issue or are they strong enough to support a decent load in the Center ?

How much do concrete sleepers cost?

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo View Post
    How much do concrete sleepers cost?
    I'd been quoted 6 each delivered... looking at them pictures, I'd guess it'll cost aprox 30 per meter (say 5 to a meter)..got me wondering if laying a couple strips of readymix a meter wide would be cheaper...and smoother

Quote Originally Posted by col555 View Post
    i like the look of that, think the sides lengthways on makes it look smarter, as well as getting the extra width. Did you stake the side ones in place, or just backfill with soil?
    Sides were backfilled with fines that were stripped off original road surface. This was done when sleepers were 2 delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by col555 View Post
    I'd been quoted 6 each delivered... looking at them pictures, I'd guess it'll cost aprox 30 per meter (say 5 to a meter)..got me wondering if laying a couple strips of readymix a meter wide would be cheaper...and smoother
    How much is ready mix last time I got a quote it was around 80 per cube , at 200 mm thick a cube would do a 5 m strip or 2.5 m to both sides. 32 per M but add in some reinforcement that I Suspect the sleepers will have in them and thats going to add a bit more cost assuming the labour cost is the same but its not chalk and cheese, depends on the delivery cost I guess.

Plus you'll need to put a good stone base in for concrete, would probably need to stone the full width to get a firm footing.

And 2 metre wide stips will save you 1/3rd of the cost in concrete of a 3 metre road but will be more work shuttering and won't be as strong.

Quote Originally Posted by moffett View Post

Thats well tidy, how many sleepers did you use for that ?? whats it like to drive on ??

We built a track out of old cattle slats. Allright for livestock to walk on but they were too past it for heavy traffic.