Thread: Anyone Heard Of 'Howard Of Bedford' (Horse-drawn Plough)?

Anyone Heard Of 'Howard Of Bedford' (Horse-drawn Plough)?

I have an old horse-drawn plough at home that I've started to pull apart and restore. It's a nice old bar-point (good for the granite around here!), and the main beam is one long piece from the handles to the tow chain I was wondering if anyone knew anything of them. Were they a big manufacturer? I know they were taken over by Ransomes at some point. Did a bit of googling but not a huge amount on them to be honest

Re: Anyone Heard Of 'Howard Of Bedford' (Horse-drawn Plough)?

don't know if you've already found this but its a catalogue from 1847 showing all of Howard's implements.

http://vios1.rdg.ac.uk/olib/images/n...dx552_p2_b046/

Thanks track marshall, I hadn't actually come across it. It's great this kind of stuff still exists

Howard of Bedford were large manufacturers of agricultural equipment in Victorian times.
    I do not believe they had any connections to the other Howard company which was much later
    They also manufactured early tractors
    I believe a couple still exist
    they appear to have folded before the first world war.
    I am unaware of any connections to Ransomes.
    I believe That they were associated with Saundersons of Elstow
    And possibly merged to form the Bedford plough company Their premises was the Brittania works
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

[QUOTE=Exfarmer;254073]Howard of Bedford were large manufacturers of agricultural equipment in Victorian times.
    I do not believe they had any connections to the other Howard company which was much later

Correct. The Howard who invented the rotary hoe was an Aussie, who expanded the company to UK. I have a Howard DH22 5ft hoe c.late 1930s. It is missing a maggie.

From the Aussie Tractor Page website:

HOWARD Clifford Howard was one of Australia's greatest agricultural engineers and in 1971 was awarded the CBE for his services to the industry. His first "Rotavator" was produced in Sydney, Australia in the early 1920's and over the following years he became one of the worlds leaders in affordable rotary cultivator manufacture and exported them to many countries. To continue the push into the world wide market he decided in 1938 to set up a manufacturing plant in Essex, England. The Howard range included several walk behind models known as the Gem, Foxie, Bantam, Bullfinch, Terrier etc. tractor driven cultivators and 3 and 4 wheel tractors. To capture the market for his larger cultivators he made a wise decision to produce a range to suit the Fordson F & N models at the time when these tractors outsold all others. In 1930 he produced his DH22 tractor with matching cultivator, it was powered with a 4 cylinder 22hp engine, ( see photo above) these tractors were sold in several countries including England and North America. A small market garden tractor called the Kelpie was also produced, it was similar to the Beaver made in the USA. For a short time the 1950's the English factory also produced the Platypus crawler tractor.

JV

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    I am unaware of any connections to Ransomes.
    I read it somewhere while I was googling the company. Also, on the inside of the landside of my plough there are some numbers stamped along with a capital "R" in the same style as used by Ransomes

Quote Originally Posted by redgiant View Post
    I read it somewhere while I was googling the company. Also, on the inside of the landside of my plough there are some numbers stamped along with a capital "R" in the same style as used by Ransomes
    As i said I am unaware , but it is quite possible there was a connection. probably they sourced metal from Ransomes who were the acknowledged leaders in producing hard wearing plough metal. Drop forging.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

my book on Ransomes by Brian Bell says that James and Frederick Howard of Bedford were acquired by them in 1932 and from that date Howard Implements were made by ransomes. (doesn't say how long Ransomes carried on with the Howard name though)

If you're still looking for information on Howard of Bedford (and if you can still find a copy in the newsagents) check out the March 2015 issue of 'Old Glory' magazine - big feature on the history of Howard and its products.

Hi Garrett, thanks for the heads up. Just had a look at the issue on their website and I'm definitely going to grab myself a copy