Thread: Central heating controller

Central heating controller

Hi folks, not sure if this is the right section for this one but here goes. We built a new house about 15 years ago and are now having issues with the central heating. The thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) are dying and some are knocking on/off as set temp is reached in a most annoying fashion. Taking the head off, cleaning and lubricating the needle sorts things out for a few weeks or days and then the problem returns. We have a 2/1.5/1 story house with 23 radiators over 15 rooms. We are wondering about biting the bullet and installing a network based controller with individually settable TRVs. This would allow us to set the system to suit our way of living more easily and may even cut our oil consumption a bit. I think it could be started with the main controller + 4 or 6 TRVs and then added to as finances allow/old TRVs pack in. At the moment the Honeywell Evohome looks like the best system for us Does anyone have any experience of this or anyother similar system before we start down what could end up being a fairly expensive experiment, especially if we make the wrong choice.

Re: Central heating controller

Firstly, I think you've been unlucky with your TRVs. I have about 20 round the house, and only one has failed in the last 25 years.

On the more sophisticated systems, I do have some experience of them, both on an industrial level, and a large domestic one. At any domestic scale, I'd be very wary. The chances of getting a return on your outlay are not good. In very large buildings or groups of buildings, they work well, and are easy to justify theoretically.