Thread: gate open

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

gate open

this winter i have to say i have forgot to shut a gate on the cattle yards, on two occasions, one i found in the morning with no animals out the other i noticed cattle outside in the yard, when i was driving past the farm, they trampled the hay and opened the other gate and got into the calf creep area but on the whole it could have been alot worse, any one else own up to a similar situation, my yards have multipule gates?

Re: gate open

next door keeps leaving the gate open, his bullocks must be part moth, as they all stand under our outside light.

It is something I do always worry about so when hanging gates I always try to make sure the bottom hinge is set out a bit further than the top one so they've a tendency to stay closed even if not latched. But that doesn't work if there's a wind.

If we are installing farm gates then we make sure we add a gate closer - there are a few different types out there - although I know this isn't always possible and sometimes can make access trickier as you need to secure the gate. Of course the real answer is automatic gates but would cost a few pennies with all your gates :-)

There are ways to hang your gate so that gravity automatically closes the gate - YES, you need add something to hold the gate open when desired.