Thread: 956xl, Questions.

956xl, Questions.

My 1985 956xl (red/white model), has a small lever that sits sort of horizontally in a fore aft position low down near the cab floor just by the right hand side of the drivers seat. For many years I had no idea what this lever was for, mainly because it was seized up. I recently had a look, freed of the workings of the lever and discover it selects a very slightly lower ratio in each gear (I think !!). The difference seems to me to be hardly noticeable. My question is, is it advisable or not to change ratio on this lever with the tractor on the move ?. Cannot see how it would be much advantage due to the tiny variation in ratio mind.

Re: 956xl, Questions.

yes its ok to change on the move,as you've said theres not much difference in speed but it comes in handy for certain jobs
    are you still looking to sell your nash?or are you like me and going to keep it forever

Thanks Agrimix, Until I see something comparable in decent condition, my Nash stays where she is. Having now sorted this stuck gear lever, there is only one thing now not working , and that is the low speed of the cab heater fan. Everything other item works as when new, including every dash warning light, door still locks on the key etc etc. When I look in a dealers yard at similar aged tractors, the doors don't lock, the dash boards don't work, the four inches of stale compacted cow sh1te is included on the cab floor free of charge, the radio/cd has been ripped out, the battery covers have been thrown on the skip years ago, the screen wipers and external lights are seen as unnecessary ballast, and the drivers seats have all been eaten by hungry terriers, and the dealers will rabbit on about how "tidy and original" their wares are !!. If I could see a really good TW15, MF 2640, red/white 956XL/1056xl , or JD3350, I can't say I wouldn't be tempted, but such machines are certainly elusive here. Modern electronic tractors don't interest me at all. Yes, the stiff steering at tickover when hot annoys me, and if I could get someone to sort that out I would be delighted.

The cab fan fault will be the resistor board in the cab roof.
    The stiff steering though is more than likely the pump.