Thread: Ransomes combine

Ransomes combine

Re: Ransomes combine

Scrap Manners!

Well, since no one has added yo your topic I will. The Ransomes combines were, in their day, not bad old tubs. The little trailed job was O.K. but only about 6ft if I remember correctly. Then there was an 802 I think which was a small SP model but seem to remember that one of the wheels ran over the swath of straw. The a 901, maybe a 902 as well. A Cavalier and a Crusader which were the last I think. Long time ago now and I could be wrong about some of that.

As I said, they would cut standing corn O.K. and give a decent sample but never set the world alight. I think they benefitted from the threshing drums that they used to make which were regarded quite highly.

That Cavalier would probably have a Ford 2704E 6 pot in it.

This superbly restored example was at Berwick St John Country Fayre in 2014...

...and this trailed model at Little Casterton...

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post

As I said, they would cut standing corn O.K. and give a decent sample but never set the world alight. I think they benefitted from the threshing drums that they used to make which were regarded quite highly.

That Cavalier would probably have a Ford 2704E 6 pot in it.

Although they did not set the world alight, they sometimes did it to themselves, when the engine was mounted below the feed conveyor and got covered in chaff.

Stephen

The smaller ones were all a Scandinavian machine, Aktiv?
    Not sure if they were built here or not.
    I am not sure if the Cavaliers were actually a true UK machine, any ideas?
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by sjt01 View Post
    Although they did not set the world alight, they sometimes did it to themselves, when the engine was mounted below the feed conveyor and got covered in chaff.

Stephen
    But so did the Massey 726/780/788 family ! The exhaust manifold used to glow red at night on those if they were petrol/TVO versions and even the smallest hole in that canvas and up they went.

one here at the Norfolk Show

Done a fair few hours on one of those. Ours was a bagger and I was the silly bagger that had to work on it. And if a Railway sack or a Squirrel sack turned up amongst the empty bags you mustn't fill it right up or else you were made to pick it up yourself. And when you'd done what you thought was a fair day's work you had to turn round and pick all the bags up off the field. But a gang of lads out of the village used to come and help at night and we'd all end up down the pub about 10-ish with the boss buying the first round.

I'm sure that the n/s wheel ran on the previous swath.