Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Windows 10

For a year you will be able to update to Windows 10 for free if you have Windows 7 or Windows 8.
    This seems a no brainer - even though Windows 7 is hard to fault it is starting to get old now and won't be fully supported for much longer.
    I'll probably try the W8 laptop at least when it comes out.

If you get the update there won't be any charge after the year is up.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-win...-subscription/

Re: Windows 10

A pity that you cannot upgrade from windows xp for free. My old laptop does not have the size for windows 7 so it could not be upgraded to that. Windows 10 is a lot smaller than the other versions so would fit but due to its age it is not worth buying it. It is still a good computer and is in daily use. The desktop which came with windows 8 will most likely get updated when I have seen how others get on with the new system.

it is a "darned if you do" and a "darned if you don't" situtation.

What buggs the heck out of me is I just bought my laptop 2 years ago w/windows 7 and now it is "un fixable" for someone without a corporate software support licence. There should be some consumer protection for stuff like this.

"If you lie down with dogs, then you will end up with fleas"

If you use anything starting with Microsoft, then you WILL end up with a sore bum!

Just ditch it, & try a flavour of Linux, you know it makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by pycoed View Post

Just ditch it, & try a flavour of Linux, you know it makes sense
    Does it run Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere?

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Not read the link yet but any idea what 10 will be like? A hybrid 7 & 8, more like one than the other?
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

All I hear for sure is that they've reverted to a Windows 7 and earlier style start menu but there must be far more changes I would think?
    It won't be available until the summer anyway except as a beta tester

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    If you're trying to avoid 'lying down with dogs and getting fleas' you won't be wanting to install anything from Adobe!!!

I have learnt to use W8 on the missus' PC and it is actually pretty slick. Have no problems with it or W7.

I don't seem to ever have a lot of difficulty with computers these days except with apple software which appears designed solely to pi$$ me off.

I will certainly try W10 on my own PC. I will need DX 12 for future PC games anyway so it's not really up for discussion.

Linux is all well and good but for many, it's lack of compatibility with major retail software will mean it's never a real contender. And one day, if it becomes popular enough, it too will be the target of hackers and bugs. An operating system is only as good as it's last update.

Do not try to run W7 on an older XP machine, particularly one with limited RAM- I have tried and it turned out largely a pointless disaster which instinct told me was a bad idea to start with.

And FFS, don't ever buy anything but a 64 bit OS. Doesn't matter what it is. Compared to XP, W7 and W8 is a revelation. Thinking back now, XP just seems like a technicolour nightmare, using DOS in my book was probably preferable.

Using DOS with an amber monitor. It made you watch the screen as you typed to ensure everything was correct. Huge ring binders of commands on the desk. Ah those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Using DOS with an amber monitor. It made you watch the screen as you typed to ensure everything was correct. Huge ring binders of commands on the desk. Ah those were the days.
    I always preferred a green screen monitor when using DOS. Dual floppy 3.5" 1.44Gb drives eh ? Or even the 51/4" which gave the name to the floppy. Those were the days indeed !

I have just put a SSD in a new pc running 8.1. SSD is the way to go. Progs on that and data on the HDD. I boot up in 12 seconds now and it is only that slow because I'm not very quick at typing my password.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    I have learnt to use W8 on the missus' PC and it is actually pretty slick. Have no problems with it or W7.
    Slick?!! My wife has W8 on her laptop. 16Gb RAM, i7 processor. My 9yr old Satellite boots, loads applications and shuts down faster running the latest version of Opensuse.

I don't seem to ever have a lot of difficulty with computers these days except with apple software which appears designed solely to pi$$ me off.
    The only apple PC software I've ever used is iTunes. I agree with you totally!

I will certainly try W10 on my own PC. I will need DX 12 for future PC games anyway so it's not really up for discussion.

Linux is all well and good but for many, it's lack of compatibility with major retail software will mean it's never a real contender. And one day, if it becomes popular enough, it too will be the target of hackers and bugs. An operating system is only as good as it's last update.
    Linux security has very little to do with it's perceived unpopularity, far more to do with it's permissions based structure.

Linux may not be hugely popular on home computers but that is slowly changing and in the world of servers and super computers it is a very different story. I agree, a few years ago Linux was not a contender for the home market. I tried it and gave up. Nowadays however things are very different.

Do not try to run W7 on an older XP machine, particularly one with limited RAM- I have tried and it turned out largely a pointless disaster which instinct told me was a bad idea to start with.

.....because it is bloated beyond belief with little or no benefit. The wife's W8 laptop is here for me to use at any time and I choose it over my laptop or desktop NEVER.

And FFS, don't ever buy anything but a 64 bit OS. Doesn't matter what it is. Compared to XP, W7 and W8 is a revelation. Thinking back now, XP just seems like a technicolour nightmare, using DOS in my book was probably preferable.
    My laptop is 32 bit. No great problem.

I'm not trying to, and don't want to get into a Win/Linux battle and it's each to their own but IMHO it's often not given a chance because it hasn't got multi billion pound advertising behind it.
    Last edited by v12cat; 24-01-15 at 09:43 PM. Reason: quoting cockup

Its interesting reading
    The first Dec Rainbow I had - Green screen No hard disk - Knowledge man - Super Calc etc.
    Second Rainbow was Amber improvement I thought
    Next I think was the Apricot Zen Black & White screen - thought that was the dogs do da's
    Pre Farm Plan we had Hilton Nomys
    MS Office Excel + Access is very powerful you can create almost anything - takes time though
    Windows - then W3 -W3.on & on 95 -98 XP 7 8.1 I think they are good value Ok series 8 hasn't been that much of an improvement
    But the speed the machines work at doesn't leave me much to grumble about
    Ford made an 8100 but quickly had to bring out the 8200 Be content MS are putting W8 right with 10
    Yes there's Linux & Mac I've tried them But still use MS
    We are so lucky with technology these days -we do tend to take it for granted

Give the Tec Boys a chance
    Xlandman

Quote Originally Posted by Xlandman View Post
    Its interesting reading

[....]

Ford made an 8100 but quickly had to bring out the 8200

[....]
    Xlandman
    We had both. 8100 was a cracking machine, should never have sold it. 8200 was a heap! Awful engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Xlandman View Post
    Its interesting reading
    The first Dec Rainbow I had - Green screen No hard disk - Knowledge man - Super Calc etc. Ah, Supercalc and Superwriter eh. Those were the days.
    Second Rainbow was Amber improvement I thought
    Next I think was the Apricot Zen Black & White screen - thought that was the dogs do da's My dual floppy machine was an Apricot c/w green screen. But I had a modem in that which operated under Telecom Gold's comms. protocol. Still on dial up of course in those days and it took about 5 minutes to send one side of A4 text if I remember correctly (no graphics in those days) . Then had an Apricot Xi10 with a 10Mb hard drive WOW ! , then the dog's doo dahs, an Apricot 286 c/w 30Mb HDD. Still got that. Wonder if it's worth anything ? Then Alan Michael Sugar poked his nose in (Amstrad) and I had a 386 with a colour screen and the first version of Windows. How cool was that ?
    Pre Farm Plan we had Hilton Nomys. Hilton Nomys were always thought to be the posh lot and Farmplan soon had the market nearly all to themselves. There were three main Ag. software houses, Farmplan, Farmdata, and Farmgate. All very confusing (and could be embarrassing when doing show duty !)
    MS Office Excel + Access is very powerful you can create almost anything - takes time though
    Windows - then W3 -W3.on & on 95 -98 XP 7 8.1 I think they are good value Ok series 8 hasn't been that much of an improvement
    But the speed the machines work at doesn't leave me much to grumble about
    Ford made an 8100 but quickly had to bring out the 8200 Be content MS are putting W8 right with 10
    Yes there's Linux & Mac I've tried them But still use MS
    We are so lucky with technology these days -we do tend to take it for granted That is very true and we should all remember that now and again.

Give the Tec Boys a chance
    Xlandman

Not one for reminiscing (no-where near old enough usually ) but I distinctly remember our 20mb hard drive Dell arriving and being amazed by it. I also remember reports from the time saying that hard drive space would peak at something like 100mb and that beyond this the world would explode or similar. Amazing how far tech has moved in 20 odd years, I wonder where it will be in another 20 and if MS will still be a player at that point? I'm also intrigued as to how MS are going to monetise W10 if they plan to give it away for the first year. It'll encourage migration I'm sure but where will the revenue come from?
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    how MS are going to monetise W10 if they plan to give it away for the first year. It'll encourage migration I'm sure but where will the revenue come from?
    Well unless there are no more computer's sold after the next 12 months MS will be safe in the knowledge that they have created a lot of goodwill for themselves and the whole cycle of upgrades will start again. (They are probably already writing the "patches" for W10 )
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

They don't charge for all updates, e.g. 8.1 was significantly different to W8.
    They are well aware how badly Windows 8 was received especially by more serious business users - even though it was easy enough to have it look and behave practically the same as Windows 7 with minimal changes,

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Not one for reminiscing (no-where near old enough usually ) but I distinctly remember our 20mb hard drive Dell arriving and being amazed by it. I also remember reports from the time saying that hard drive space would peak at something like 100mb and that beyond this the world would explode or similar. Amazing how far tech has moved in 20 odd years, I wonder where it will be in another 20 and if MS will still be a player at that point? I'm also intrigued as to how MS are going to monetise W10 if they plan to give it away for the first year. It'll encourage migration I'm sure but where will the revenue come from?
    Office, where the majority of their income comes from anyway.

I am swearing at windows 8 right now. It tells me that I can only print from within apps! It was working fine until I moved the whole setup to another room. I have also got some security cameras which work fine with just the monitor connected but I want to watch wirelessly from the router. Put the cd in to use the wizard and now it says it will only auto play from within apps! I cannot work out how to get the thing to play so that I can set things up. Going into a corner of the barn to scream before I through the computer out the window.

Post Re: Windows 10

V12cat
    I had an 8100 which was cr*p the 8200 was a cracker maybe we used them for different things

ZAZA
    I don't remember the Amstrad we had I thick it was an 08 with Sage Sovereign
    My oldest lad is a Prof of metallurgy he told me of a prof at Salford University who was setting up a working Computer Museum
    I put the backseats down up to the attic Computers Psion's Serial printers the lot
    The estate was full to the roof I can't remember the Profs name he was like a dog with two whatever's
    Xlandman

The first DOS Amstrad (Alan Michael Sugar TRADing) was the 1512. I think it could either be a 2 floppy machine that were the original 5 1/4" ones that held 360k and I think you could have a 20Mb HDD version as well. But the B/W screen was diabolical. I think the HDD 1512 was about 400 and you could get a noddy Amstrad dot matrix printer for 60. Then they introduced the 1640 with a decent colour monitor. Then they introduced a machine with a 286 processor and after that a 386 that I used for a while. For the first time they "looked" like a computer and not some awful shaped plastic box. And by this time they were using the 3.5" floppy drives.

Some old memory lane stuff here! http://www.old-computers.com/news/default.asp

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    The first DOS Amstrad (Alan Michael Sugar TRADing) was the 1512. I think it could either be a 2 floppy machine that were the original 5 1/4" ones that held 360k and I think you could have a 20Mb HDD version as well. But the B/W screen was diabolical. I think the HDD 1512 was about 400 and you could get a noddy Amstrad dot matrix printer for 60. Then they introduced the 1640 with a decent colour monitor. Then they introduced a machine with a 286 processor and after that a 386 that I used for a while. For the first time they "looked" like a computer and not some awful shaped plastic box. And by this time they were using the 3.5" floppy drives.
    Sure I had a 1512 for a while. With the GEM operating system IIRC. HDD and colour I think.

[QUOTE=zaza;255052]I always preferred a green screen monitor when using DOS. Dual floppy 3.5" 1.44Gb drives eh ? Or even the 51/4" which gave the name to the floppy. Those were the days indeed !

And there was me thinking it was the 8" floppies that came out well before the "tiny" 5 1/4 ones!

Then again there were the spin drier size hard drives with 20 " platter that held all od 5Mb!

Or going back to whay I learned on in'66, feed ins from 100cps paper tapes and what a noise they made.

Ok some people are older than others. My first computer was a Tandon with 5 1/4 floppy and I loved it.

Hillsider69

"Then again there were the spin drier size hard drives with 20 " platter that held all od 5Mb!

Or going back to whay I learned on in'66, feed ins from 100cps paper tapes and what a noise they made."

Never heard the noise of the tape working, but I've got one of each in the collection. An NCR Century 101 with core memory too, along with a line printer.

JV

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Ok some people are older than others. My first computer was a Tandon with 5 1/4 floppy and I loved it.
    Any kid now who is being brought up with a Raspberry Pi as a first computer probably knows more about computers than the vast majority of under 40's. Those of us lucky enough to have been born '65ish to '75ish hit the early eighties right in the home computer boom. Machines that required driving rather than dragged you along like xxx86 and later machines. The real keen kids were writing machine code with ease at 13yrs. Most of us could code.

What can they do now? Use M$ office and maybe some Adobe software. Not a developer in sight. Luckily this is now being addressed.

That said, my 7 year old is perfectly happy in command line and could teach her IT tutor, so we're not there yet......

If we are really getting ancient, I started in Fortran on an Elliot 803, then Focal on a PDP8e, then Algol on a KDF9. First PC was a TRS 80, which I had to solder an extra chip into the keyboard to give me lower case. Four 5 1/4 floppies, the one with the OS held 32 k I think, and the others 48 k. It would do Visicalc and Basic

Stephen

I had a C64 originally, it was a bit clunky but I quickly took to it. The real update came when I was given a big floppy drive for it and suddenly you could load games in seconds. It was great.

Later I had a PC with Windows 3.1, that seemed ok but then Win98 came along and it seemed a revelation. Although it soon crapped out and I forget the number of times I did fresh installs.