Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Re: Windows 10

Been running the Windows 10 test version at work for a couple of months and its back to the Windows 7 style and runs a treat on many older stations. Most software just seems to work straight away with no hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by paul ellam View Post
    Been running the Windows 10 test version at work for a couple of months and its back to the Windows 7 style and runs a treat on many older stations. Most software just seems to work straight away with no hassle.
    What sort of memory footprint does it have?

Main bonus for later versions of windows these days is that it comes with so many functions which just automatically work with nearly anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    What sort of memory footprint does it have?

Main bonus for later versions of windows these days is that it comes with so many functions which just automatically work with nearly anything.
    I have it running on some old core2duo and 2gb Ram and its nice, not overloaded it with stuff, but its more easy on the memory than Vista lol

Just put Windows 10 beta on my W8 laptop today and it's using about 2.4GB of ram but that's with various stuff going on in background like cameras.
    Probably near 2GB when ticking over - I don't think that's changed much really.

The install process is rather lengthy with worrying periods of grey screen with nothing happening, but when it restarted it looks much like before.
    As an upgrade practically everything seems to have been remembered.
    Initially there was no sound, the newest realtek driver did not seem compatible but an older one still on the computer seems to work.
    One other niggle is favicons not working on chrome, so bookmarks bar looks silly - edit: fixed by re-installing chrome.

I'd say it has more in common with Windows 8 than Windows 7
    In particular the generally disliked metro tile thing is still there but slightly less in your face.
    Since I had Windows 8 looking almost like 7 anyway I don't see much difference.

I wouldn't be doing it yet on your main or only computer, but if you have an older one or second one then maybe.
    The download is 2.8GB, it took about two hours here.
    Then you need at least an hour not far from it while it installs. It will ask some questions before restarting into 10 but you don't know need any codes etc.

Don't forget it is still Beta - things are not (almost) guaranteed to work without some tweaking.
    There must be a remote chance of totally bricking it - you should have a plan B like install Ubuntu or back to W7 from a disc!
    You can't just switch back if you hate it.

Here's how:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/upgrade...indows-update/

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Just put Windows 10 beta on my W8 laptop today and it's using about 2.4GB of ram but that's with various stuff going on in background like cameras.
    Probably near 2GB when ticking over - I don't think that's changed much really.
    So, what exactly does it do that requires a ridiculous 2gb of ram and christ knows how much disk space?

I guess it's partly due to the 8GB available. Are all the instances of chrome just tabs or individual windows.

Chrome always does that, there would be 3 or 4 tabs open.

I've started using a Mac since about Xmas having used windows for years and I must say it's a much nicer operating system when you get your head around it. Would be tempted to make my Windows desktop computer into a "hackintosh" i.e. install the Mac operating system on it.

Quote Originally Posted by quattro_tdi View Post
    I've started using a Mac since about Xmas having used windows for years and I must say it's a much nicer operating system when you get your head around it. Would be tempted to make my Windows desktop computer into a "hackintosh" i.e. install the Mac operating system on it.
    Hmm.. I know Windows will run on a Mac, but I wasn't aware MacOS would run in a Windows environment. If it was easy to do, everyone would do it!

JV

Install VirtualBox from Oracle (its a free download for the Linux version - Gawd only knows if the Windows version is free or not)
    It allows you to create a virtual hard disk on your system, on which you can install & run another operating system.
    e.g. I use Ubuntu Linux for all my machines, but I have a windows XP virtual disk on the laptop needed to run an old OS-specific Birdguides CD & also an Android system to run the diagnostic software app for an obscure Korean vehicle!

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Hmm.. I know Windows will run on a Mac, but I wasn't aware MacOS would run in a Windows environment. If it was easy to do, everyone would do it!

JV
    It isn't easy and is highly hardware specific. Not recommended for daily driver, more a plaything for the IT savvy tech bod.

I would not run a Mac on the basis that apple software winds me up.

It isn't easy and is highly hardware specific. Not recommended for daily driver, more a plaything for the IT savvy tech bod.

Aye there are only some bits of hardware that work. By right you'd nearly want to build your computer with Mac OS in mind so that you don't run into any handlings

(Snip)

Hmm.. knowing how nicely Apple software runs (I've used it since the Mac Plus in about 1986) and how easy MacOS is to use, I hope you are not inferring that you are easy to wind up.

JV

Hmm.. knowing how nicely Apple software runs (I've used it since the Mac Plus in about 1986) and how easy MacOS is to use, I hope you are not inferring that you are easy to wind up.

JV
    But if you get him wound up and pointed in the "right" direction (or for more fun, the wrong direction), then . . . .

I would not buy a Mac because I believe for the hardware they offer they are hideously over-priced and I don't care for their operating system either.

Itunes is bad enough and eventually I will wean myself on to a windows work phone and I'll be free from Apple forever.

I would not buy a Mac because I believe for the hardware they offer they are hideously over-priced and I don't care for their operating system either.

Itunes is bad enough and eventually I will wean myself on to a windows work phone and I'll be free from Apple forever.
    I've used itunes once in the last two years, to update my phone to iOS8. Otherwise I would have had to delete half of the stuff on the phone to do the update! It doesn't get any better! I've used Windows exactly the same number of times. To run iTunes. They both sit festering on a separate hard drive in my PC. I do get to see W8.* in action on the wife's laptop, which is usually good for a laugh.

Much as I don't like Apple as an organisation, I would rather slit my eyeballs with a crisp piece of paper than use a phone with windows on it.

JV
    MacOS is derived from Linux and that will run nicely alongside Windows, or in a VM. I would suggest Linux has moved forwards massively more than MacOS or Windows over the last 3 to 5 years. Akin to Jap brands bringing out new models whilst Land Rover glue yet more bits of plastic and tacky bling to an ancient and fatally flawed design.

Quote Originally Posted by v12cat View Post
    MacOS is derived from Linux and that will run nicely alongside Windows, or in a VM. I would suggest Linux has moved forwards massively more than MacOS or Windows over the last 3 to 5 years. Akin to Jap brands bringing out new models whilst Land Rover glue yet more bits of plastic and tacky bling to an ancient and fatally flawed design.
    Hmm.. pretty sure MacOS X and later were an Apple flavour of Unix, not Linux, which itself is a flavour of Unix.

Wikipedia says OS X is a Unix-based operating system built on technology developed at NeXT from the second half of the 1980s until early 1997, when Apple purchased the company (from Jobs).

As I understand it, Unix is a rugged, industrial version OS which has been around a very long time.

JV

Hmm.. pretty sure MacOS X and later were an Apple flavour of Unix, not Linux, which itself is a flavour of Unix.

Wikipedia says OS X is a Unix-based operating system built on technology developed at NeXT from the second half of the 1980s until early 1997, when Apple purchased the company (from Jobs).

As I understand it, Unix is a rugged, industrial version OS which has been around a very long time.

JV
    Yes, I'm over simplifying to the point of being wrong!! They are both derived from Unix. GNU/Linux being developed by stallman (very interesting guy to listen to, who won't even carry a mobile phone!) and the kernel by Linus T.

Richard stallman has always had some pretty radical views which, in the light of snowdon's revelations, don't seem quite so far out!!

Yes, I'm over simplifying to the point of being wrong!! They are both derived from Unix. GNU/Linux being developed by stallman (very interesting guy to listen to, who won't even carry a mobile phone!) and the kernel by Linus T.

Richard stallman has always had some pretty radical views which, in the light of snowdon's revelations, don't seem quite so far out!!
    Looked him up in Wikipedia, following your lead. Indeed, a very interesting & active fellow.

JV

Looked him up in Wikipedia, following your lead. Indeed, a very interesting & active fellow.

JV
    This is an interview I appear to have added to my youtube favourites. Quite good IIRC. I'm obviously not saying I agree with everything he says but a thought provoker non the less. Shame the interviewer is a complete cock.

https://youtu.be/uFMMXRoSxnA?list=FLke1XwUzsbIpBa8RZ343N1A

Think I heard somewhere this W10 will be Free?

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Think I heard somewhere this W10 will be Free?
    ...gratis, but definitely not free!!!

Watch the Stallman interview!

I've used itunes once in the last two years, to update my phone to iOS8. Otherwise I would have had to delete half of the stuff on the phone to do the update! It doesn't get any better! I've used Windows exactly the same number of times. To run iTunes. They both sit festering on a separate hard drive in my PC. I do get to see W8.* in action on the wife's laptop, which is usually good for a laugh.

Much as I don't like Apple as an organisation, I would rather slit my eyeballs with a crisp piece of paper than use a phone with windows on it.

Have you actually used a windows phone? About a dozen of my colleagues have them, and as a business tool (not a toy), they appear far superior to my iphone. For a start it will communicate with outlook and your PC natively, without needing any 3rd party Itunes like program. As a handset they are basically Nokia devices and they seem to work well and have better reception and battery life than the Iphones they replaced, and they are cheaper into the bargain.

I have run my own PC for several years now under W7 and I can't see why people have so much grief with it. I have totally rebuilt the machine twice on the hardware side and upgraded it many times, never had a peep of bother with the operating system whatsoever. I can appreciate Windows XP was a hideous idea but W7 for me has never crashed or done anything that left me scratching my head. It just gobbles up whatever I need it to run or do. It isn't even that expensive to buy any longer, either.

I do wonder if the gripes with W7 or W8 are related to the hardware people are running them on. Both our machines here are not bargain basement and they run Windows like the clappers, despite the fact they are resource hungry and powerful pieces of software. It is no good expecting your OS to remain as it was 10-15 years ago. It is a totally different beast that has been designed to run on modern hardware.

I see no advantage of Linux at this point in time. When it gains total 3rd party support and has drivers that supports all my hardware I might consider it but W10 for me is a done deal because of DX12 which is going to be a near necessity for gaming.

When you own a Mac and an iPhone you get the best out of your iPhone. For example, your contacts on your phone are shown on your computer, as are your internet bookmarks and browsing history, not to mention your emails etc. You can open a website link on your computer that you have open on your phone or vice versa. You can even make phone calls through your computer which is handy if you want it on loudspeaker. Perhaps Windows phone will try to do that with Windows computers as well (I have no idea as I've never used them).

Not sure why people are so passionate about operating systems. I regularly use all three phone systems, currently enjoying a holiday from an iPhone 4s and using a Nokia running the very latest W8.1 phone system. A few minutes ago I was updating and tweaking my wife's Nexus5 phone running Android.

They all work well. My desktop is an iMac, which is what I'm now using to compose this message. I also have W7 on a partition on this iMac, although I haven't used it since before Christmas.

It just doesn't matter which you use in a phone, because they now have more or less the same features. I took a few photos with my Nokia phone earlier and shared them with Dropbox and attached them to a forum message using Dropbox on the iMac. All very simple these days.
    The Duck 2015

All you very knowledgeable techies worry me.

I struggle with Windows 7, it drives me mad, refuses to send e-mails, too complicated to understand, far too complex.

When I am driven to desperation, I leave the office and repair to my shed in the garden and everything is simple on XP.

I said this to a young lady in a firm we deal with, she laughed and immediately understood. Said the firm had returned all their W7 machines!

Jack Caley

Why make anything complicated when simple will do.

Incidentally, I must be losing my grip, but maybe as it is about 35years since I first went to a computer course I am probably past my sell by date.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    All you very knowledgeable techies worry me.

I struggle with Windows 7, it drives me mad, refuses to send e-mails, too complicated to understand, far too complex.

When I am driven to desperation, I leave the office and repair to my shed in the garden and everything is simple on XP.

I said this to a young lady in a firm we deal with, she laughed and immediately understood. Said the firm had returned all their W7 machines!
    Sadly, the inability to send e mails is nothing to do with Win XP / Win7 (which are very similar IMHO), but the fact that Micro$oft decided in their infinite wisdom, to replace the best ever (IMHO) e mail program - Outlook Express - with the dreadful Windows Live Mail.

Just wondered if you had considered getting M$ Office which has 'Outlook' (Not to be confused with Outlook, the Hotmail replacement, of course ) which is as similar to Outlook Express as it gets!!

On my laptop running 10 beta I've had an annoying issue in that it refuses to connect to wifi automatically when woken up.
    You need several clicks to connect manually.
    There's a 'connect automatically' check box but it does not seem to hold the setting.
    This is not good with the laptop woken several times during the day!

The problem seemed much reported on the feedback forum, but after two updates still not fixed so I rolled back to Windows 8.
    Surprisingly this was quite simple and took about 30 minutes - much quicker than updating to trial 10.
    Apart from that almost everything seemed to run much as before but must say I didn't see anything particularly 'better'.
    But then I find W8 OK - once set up more like W7