Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Re: Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    On my laptop running 10 beta I've had an annoying issue in that it refuses to connect to wifi automatically when woken up.
    You need several clicks to connect manually.
    There's a 'connect automatically' check box but it does not seem to hold the setting.
    This is not good with the laptop woken several times during the day!

The problem seemed much reported on the feedback forum, but after two updates still not fixed so I rolled back to Windows 8.
    Surprisingly this was quite simple and took about 30 minutes - much quicker than updating to trial 10.
    Apart from that almost everything seemed to run much as before but must say I didn't see anything particularly 'better'.
    But then I find W8 OK - once set up more like W7
    The lack of wifi connection was a problem here on a recent Lenovo E540 running W7pro- seemed to be a common fault on their forum so took the jump to the included W8 upgrade. Cured the connection problem although for some reason the wifi drivers with W8 didn't work till upgraded thru intel

floppys.. major advanment. First pc was a sinclair zx81. Cassette recoreder had to be connected to it and volume adjusted to save data.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    floppys.. major advanment. First pc was a sinclair zx81. Cassette recoreder had to be connected to it and volume adjusted to save data.
    ...and some casette recorders didn't seem to work with it. ....and the dreaded 'R: TAPE LOADING ERROR' AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe that was on the Spectrum? Twas a long time ago!!
    Last edited by v12cat; 03-04-15 at 12:20 AM.

First computer was a C64, it was ace, tape deck drive was sloooooow, but then I got given a 5.25 inch floppy drive and off we go, it was excellent for playing games.

Always lusted after an Amiga which was a far better machine, can buy them for pennies now. My brother has an Amiga 4000?? I think he bought for old times sake and fiddles with.

Compared to the grief XP, W95 or W98 used to give, W7 or W8 is a revelation. Does everything itself and for you.

Quote Originally Posted by J B View Post
    Sadly, the inability to send e mails is nothing to do with Win XP / Win7 (which are very similar IMHO), but the fact that Micro$oft decided in their infinite wisdom, to replace the best ever (IMHO) e mail program - Outlook Express - with the dreadful Windows Live Mail.

Just wondered if you had considered getting M$ Office which has 'Outlook' (Not to be confused with Outlook, the Hotmail replacement, of course ) which is as similar to Outlook Express as it gets!!

Thank you for your helpful advice, I really wish I could launch forth and take it!!

My problem is that I am a cantankerous 81year old git who 40 years ago was keen to meet every challenge that modern life could throw at me but now the old grey matter works exceeding slow in spite of the fact I know full well that I should fight off Alzheimers and dementia full on!
    To quote the Yanks: " if it aint broke, don,t mend it"

Jack Caley

Interesting little release.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32658340

Incremental updates rather than significant new versions every 2 or 3 years.

Edit - but I wonder if this will be a way to introduce some kind of annual or monthly subscription required
    Adobe have more or less fully gone this way presumably to make piracy more difficult.
    Last edited by 4wd; 09-05-15 at 09:08 AM.

Had a small windows icon appear in the corner user toolbar which is about Win10-

Heres MS's official take on it from clicking the link

I think most users ought to go for the upgrade but perhaps not on main machine if you have more than one..
    There's always going to be something that only works properly on an older version though.
    Eventually W7 at least won't be fully supported.

If you have 8 it will seem very familiar but a bit like 7
    If you have 7 it will seem different in parts but not as much so as 8.

Yes 4Wd is right
    Both my boys in IT say you will be paying monthly for windows 10 not long after "free" upgrade
    I've never known anything cost as much as free one
    Xlandman

Quote Originally Posted by Xlandman View Post
    Yes 4Wd is right
    Both my boys in IT say you will be paying monthly for windows 10 not long after "free" upgrade
    Xlandman
    http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-win...-subscription/

Assuming everything goes smoothly, how many days will it take to download at 2megabits/second? For three machines!
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Xlandman View Post
    Yes 4Wd is right
    Xlandman
    Great business for Apple. I'm on an iMac typing this and my business software is in the Cloud, so I could even go pure Google if it comes to it, no sweat.

Yes, The Cloud works for me even with a slow broadband.
    The Duck 2015

I've reserved my installation. Not actually fully released until July. It is an in-place upgrade for W7 and W8. Those running Vista however, will have to have a fresh install. It will be interesting to see how the early adopters get on. I certainly like the idea of being able to run android apps natively and also use Cortana, plus I will need DX12 anyway so I have no real choice but to upgrade.

Apparently it is a 3GB download which is not that big going by todays standards.

Also you can download it and put it onto a USB drive or DVD and keep it as a way to fresh install. I will probably make a copy of this at some point and keep it safe in case I need a fresh install one day.

I will backup my drivers and main apps onto a flash drive, before doing the install. Even if my boot drive is totally over-written it won't be the end of the world as the biggest chunk of my data is on a second drive.

I'll probably do the wife's PC first....

So anyone taken the plunge yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    So anyone taken the plunge yet?
    No way .... leave it a few months I reckon

I'll try it on the windows 8 laptop again, but I'm still waiting for them to advise it's ready.
    There's a message implies they are only pushing it out after confirming a machine should have no serious problems.

Something which is being reported is Windows selecting 'best' driver for things like sound or wifi but it doesn't work as well as an older one you can choose yourself from the list of older versions. If something like this happens don't panic, it can usually be fixed by finding an alternative driver somewhere.
    You can revert to the original OS if there are serious problems, at least for a while.
    Last edited by 4wd; 01-08-15 at 09:42 AM.

Got the round robin yesterday.
    Seems it could be a little while before it reaches everyone. Retailing at 100+ at the moment I see.

Got the round robin yesterday.
    What 'round robin'?

Retailing at 100+ at the moment I see.
    But still available free if you already have W7 or W8

What 'round robin'?

Currently running 8.1 here on the desktop but it aint broke so I'm not going to fix it with 10.

What 'round robin'?

But if you do not........http://www.ebuyer.com/718646-windows...-bit-fqc-08929

That is for 64 bit Pro though.

Round Robin is in your email in box

You can apparently download either 16 or 32 bit versions or both to a USB memory stick or a DVD so that you can install on several computers off the one download.

I have three W7 machines, including a Netbook with W7 Starter and this iMac with Bootcamp. By all accounts it should work with all three.
    My older laptops running Vista and XP are not internet connected and seldom used, so I'll leave them as they are. No doubt I'll eventually scrap these, as all files are duplicated on newer machines anyhow.
    The Duck 2015

Not sure, but there seems to be some "cloud" included as well, may have read it wrong though, it was late last night!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    You can apparently download either 16 or 32 bit versions or both to a USB memory stick or a DVD so that you can install on several computers off the one download.
    Really? Or is that a typo and should read 64 or 32bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    Really? Or is that a typo and should read 64 or 32bit?

Still waiting both my upgrades, apparently it is not total roll out they are phasing it in gradually. I presume so that they have a steady stream of diagnostic data coming back rather than heap of it they can't manage.

Only quirk I can forsee is drivers and/or BIOs being too out-dated to cope.

I run 4 Machines of varying ages
    1 I do banking on bank says not compatible with W 10
    Next a laptop doesn't get used for anything serious backed onto a cloud disk start to install - Not able to install on this computer
    Next one used for accounts - package states not windows 10 compatible
    So only Mrs W's left If that works its the newest machine I let you know
    I you don't hear from me any more you will know it didn't work
    Xlandman

If you want to play solitaire without adverts you have to pay...

Spotted this blog on a recent Ebuyer flyer about W10 and privacy

http://www.ebuyer.com/blog/2015/08/w...=B2B_Friday_FS

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Been using W10 for a few weeks now on several devices without issue, there have been things to learn but overall well pleased and won't be going back to 8.1. Anything you don't like can soon be googled and tweaked to suit. I had a good laugh at how hard they make it to set google as the homepage on the new edge browser but if you dig around the settings it can be done. I doubt that was any sort of accident.

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    Been using W10 for a few weeks now on several devices without issue, there have been things to learn but overall well pleased and won't be going back to 8.1. Anything you don't like can soon be googled and tweaked to suit. I had a good laugh at how hard they make it to set google as the homepage on the new edge browser but if you dig around the settings it can be done. I doubt that was any sort of accident.

Took the jump with the work laptop recently

Did a last backup and then committed it to updating, Took about 90min until we were at a point where I could of got on with something else although there are still things to learn it isn't too hard having come from W7 to W8>W8.1(+classic shell) I think if you jump straight from 7 to 10 in one go, then it might be a bit daunting!

At the opening screen your invited to take the default setup or you can do it your own way- I did and enabled just one option, the rest all got turned down as did using their browser and email client, once told what you wanted it got on with tidying things up. Ended up being quite an easy job. Just need a bit of time learning the new systems foibles.