Thread: turbines struck by lightening

turbines struck by lightening

Is this a common occurence, i am wondering whether to insure for this or not ?? Thanks

Re: turbines struck by lightening

Quote Originally Posted by custard View Post
    Is this a common occurence, i am wondering whether to insure for this or not ?? Thanks
    Mine got a touch in first few months. Fried a card in the nacelle. Claimed for the repairs but not loss of income because it was up and running within the excess period.

I'm not a huge fan of insurance as I would rather manage own risk but too many things outside my control on this. I'd recommend the loss of income feature, which the NFU couldn't do at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by custard View Post
    We have had a lot of lightening this winter and some turbines have taken a few hits.
    I don't know if any damage was caused.
    Last year a few 5kw machines had damage, one severe.
    Insurance will only cover against lightening damage if the turbine conforms to some regulation. Some owners have difficulty getting conformation frm manufacturer (doesn't help they've wound up company)

Ours was struck on a guy wire yesterday about 27 hours after it was first fully erect, just as the G59 tester drove out of the drive. It makes you realize why the earthing cost nearly 1/3rd as much as the cost of the actual turbine when you are stood at the base
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil