Thread: MF 2720 or MF 2680 wanted by farmer.

MF 2720 or MF 2680 wanted by farmer.

Or does anyone know of one for sale or where to look.

I would be interested in views on these 1980s` 2000 series.

Re: MF 2720 or MF 2680 wanted by farmer.

There was one of each on e bay about a week ago, the 2680 was clean and original looking and made into the 4's , I think 4300. The 2720 was billed as a runner but neither the speedshift or hydraulics worked and made I think 3900. I drove a 2680 as a harvest student so have fond memories of what were generally thought to be a somewhat under powered tractor for its size. The ones with the pick up hitch fitted look quite a solid machine even by todays standards so would do a job.

Used to love driving these old things, i actually liked the gear shift on the side, pick up hitch was the work of satan though.

as stated there were 2 on ebay recently.

the 2000 series are good, they are big heavy tractors though suited to cultivation etc,

we have had a 2620 2wd from nearly new and with little servicing its been very reliable and they fairly simple machines.

compared to today stds they are underpowered for there size but generally easily tuned for a few extra bhp.

we fitted a later perkin phazer turbo engine with around 150bhp but to be honest as said we generally just use it in summer now for cultivation jobs as it to heavy to use on our land in winter and is restricted by being 2wd we only kept it as its worth so little now.

the 2000 series 4wd are very good value for money, and for there age i would say were ahead of the game with ergonomic design gearshift/cockpit area if you are not familiar with the 2005 series (basically the last of the 2000 series) but have more developed electronic lift arm control and draft etc names 2645 for instance instead of 2640 and have the wording electronic of the bonnet. One of these in good nick would be good as they have more modern tractor developments within.

They are an awesome old machine, i think most of them are in north Africa now though!

Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    Or does anyone know of one for sale or where to look.

I would be interested in views on these 1980s` 2000 series.
    Would you consider a 3600 series? They are generally more reliable, more refined and more of them about, they are really good value now too.

Thanks `Farmer_Joe` I wasnt aware of the additions they made in the `05` range. I ve been offered a 2725 model. We are a bit `old school`here, most of our Masseys are pre 1990, I like the simplicity. Im not especially a lover of the electrical lift system and wonder how reliable or user friendly this early system would be. The 6.354 engine, I read has starting and poss smoking issues that a later model may have addressed. That said, I like the sound of a `six pot` that is actually trying to pull unlike some of the modern gutless 4s that die at the sight of a `mole hill` and I like to see a bit black smoke when really working hard.

Have look at this
    http://www.everittandmarshall.co.uk/MF2640.htm
    Call Adrian he will sort you out

Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    Thanks `Farmer_Joe` I wasnt aware of the additions they made in the `05` range. I ve been offered a 2725 model. We are a bit `old school`here, most of our Masseys are pre 1990, I like the simplicity. Im not especially a lover of the electrical lift system and wonder how reliable or user friendly this early system would be. The 6.354 engine, I read has starting and poss smoking issues that a later model may have addressed. That said, I like the sound of a `six pot` that is actually trying to pull unlike some of the modern gutless 4s that die at the sight of a `mole hill` and I like to see a bit black smoke when really working hard.
    I have done a bit of ploughing with ours and really like the idea of the electric draft and lift controls as per out more modern tractors, however if you were not to use it for this its prob makes no odds either way, only other obvious change is hey have a left and right hand door as per the safety regs at the time.

if you you you tube 2000 series mf and 2005 some people have posted some really good original promotional videos detailing the changes, however as you mention there are prob a few improvements which are not covered such as engine improvements pos hydraulic pump changes etc.

As you say 6 cylinder engines seem to have loads more torque compared to there 4 cylinder counterparts of equal power, the engine we have fitted to our 2620 seems unstoppable and as it originally from a wagon so revs much harder too, but they are heavy lumps to shift according to the data ive found our old 2wd 2620 weighs more than our jd 6430 including loader!

If you are still looking I have a 2680 4wd 4500 genuine hours for sale pm me if your interested.