Thread: Massey ferguson multipower

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Massey ferguson multipower

On a massey ferguson 550 apart from the multipower pump what other parts could be worn and cause low oil pressure? When I say low I haven't actually put a gauge on it yet but the light flashes on when you change from hi to low but it still works okay

Re: Massey ferguson multipower

I seem to remember there's a filter somewhere. Could it be near the oil cooler? Changing/cleaning this makes a difference. Going back nearly 40 years, so could be wrong.
    Silos, tanks, - and much more! www.mickmoor.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by MickMoor View Post
    I seem to remember there's a filter somewhere. Could it be near the oil cooler? Changing/cleaning this makes a difference. Going back nearly 40 years, so could be wrong.
    Yip theres a filter in front of the radaitor I've already been in the back end replacing crown wheel and pinion so hoping not to have to go back in there again need to do rear crank seal so was hoping I could get into the multipower from there and change any seals or anything it could be

while you are doing the rear crank seal, i would remove the input housing in the bell housing. this contains 2 cast rings between the housing and pto drive shaft and there are 2 cast rings on the centre input shaft. these can all be replaced and maybe a cause of a loss of pressure. unfortunatley both sets of rings have a habit of wearing grooves in their respective surfaces which can also be a cause of pressure loss. the lip seals in the housing need special tools the install them. happy to help if you need more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Rs chunk View Post
    On a massey ferguson 550 apart from the multipower pump what other parts could be worn and cause low oil pressure? When I say low I haven't actually put a gauge on it yet but the light flashes on when you change from hi to low but it still works okay
    Have you had the tractor long? The reason I ask is because the only 500 series I ever drove that had MP, all flashed the light briefly when changing from low to high when at low revs. These were fairly new tractors but it was over 30 years ago, so I can't remember exactly, but they did flash that red light.
    The Duck 2015

Some would flash momentarily when changing up with low revs as the pack filled with oil. If it doesn't slip in high and will hill hold you haven't got much wrong but its worth doing the seals if you are splitting it anyway

I've not had the tractor long and haven't really had it up to operating tempature but pm works fine sometimes the light is on all the time my next thing I'm going to do is put a pressure gauge on it and see what reading I get. Pity it wasn't a 8 speed like the other 1 I have but nothing wrong with pm when they work and it's fast

hi everyone!
    i have a massey 595 and i have problems with multipower.
    when i bought the tractor, last year, it was stuck in LOW multipower..so i change the input shaft, main shaft, clutch pack, all the rings and all the oil seals.. and the result.....i have engine brake just in first and second gears in low range, in middle and high engine revs.
    the aux pump is in good shape and deliver enough presure..on the same low presure circuit i have the ipto clutch and 4wd clutch and all work very good.
    i dont want to spend more money on multipower and i read that i can weld or bolt the multipower clutch pack...i found even a picture on big dean's cd with an bolted clutch pack but no more information.
    if i bolt or weld the clutch pack the transmision will be all time in high multipower? (engine brake in all gears in all ranges?)
    i know how the multipower works because i have a massey 158 with multipower and is a plesure to change gears in the middle of the hill without clutch,but with the 595 i want to quit with this feature.
    please help me with some advices...is good or not to bolt the multipower clutch pack?
    thank you and sorry for my english...i'm not from england