Thread: tidying up a bit of ground

tidying up a bit of ground

Hi all any advice would be great I have roughly an acre of ground which is in needing of tidying up. I wanted to sow it out in grass. It had been cleared of whins etc and had regrown with rough grass and the odd small whin bush. I have now sprayed this and I'm in the process of burning it off.

My problem is the ground itself is an old gravel pit which has alot of stones in it!! Some of which are quite large. I don't think that putting a plough into it would be wise. Would it be better to disc it, power harrow it. I just need to break the surface and will use a wagtail to sow the grass seed. The ground itself is mostly level.

Any advice???

Re: tidying up a bit of ground

Quote Originally Posted by 885mac View Post
    Hi all any advice would be great I have roughly an acre of ground which is in needing of tidying up. I wanted to sow it out in grass. It had been cleared of whins etc and had regrown with rough grass and the odd small whin bush. I have now sprayed this and I'm in the process of burning it off.

My problem is the ground itself is an old gravel pit which has alot of stones in it!! Some of which are quite large. I don't think that putting a plough into it would be wise. Would it be better to disc it, power harrow it. I just need to break the surface and will use a wagtail to sow the grass seed. The ground itself is mostly level.

Any advice???
    If it is a old gravel pit with a lot of stones you are wasting your time,it wont grow grass. You could put a few sheep or goats on it to keep it from getting overgrown with bushes

Can you upload a photo. What will you be doing with this acre of ground and is it part of a bigger acreage or not?

Well it had grass on it before it hadnt been grazed for a few years and got out of control whins etc so it was cleared off but no grass sown etc. I was just to get it tidy again and controlled. So im thinking of breaking the surface sow the seed and roll it. Hopefully it will do.